Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install ape hangers on my 02 honda shadow ace but wanted to know if I did the 12" apes Do i have to extend the cables/wires? and ive been looking at some ape hangers on amazon and was wondering if I can install any 12 in apes that are 1 in thick?

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
I want to install ape hangers on my 02 honda shadow ace but wanted to know if I did the 12" apes Do i have to extend the cables/wires? and ive been looking at some ape hangers on amazon and was wondering if I can install any 12 in apes that are 1 in thick?
Funny you should mention that as I just ordered some 12 inch apes yesterday

( J&P cycles Hard Drive 12 inch one inch diameter for forty bucks and change)

Now is the perfect time of year for most folks to get started undertaking this project.

First... buy your bars, once they arrive loosely install them ( just hang your regular bars over the headlight and do not remove the controls ) After you have them set up lift up your originals and take measurement of how much extension you might need,allow for a little slack maybe one to two inches,

The main things you will likely need are the throttle cables ( both) the clutch and brake lines and the choke cable. Wiring will be your hardest part, you will have to do that yourself..it is tedious and slow ..for best results make your splices in a manner that hides where you extended them under the gas tank rather than in plain view..it just looks cleaner that way..

I highly recommend Motion Pro for their cables and lines

Motion Pro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankz for the info. I was hoping to get away with installing 12 in apes without having to change cables. I'll probably just go with 10 in mini apes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found some 12" Harley apes on craigslist comes with 1" risers..could those work without having to change the cables? i mean basically its like having 10" apes by lowering the stock 3" risers to a 1 "..

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
I found some 12" Harley apes on craigslist comes with 1" risers..could those work without having to change the cables? i mean basically its like having 10" apes by lowering the stock 3" risers to a 1 "..

Can't hurt to try.. the worse thing would be you would have a set of bar that you would either sell or that would force you to get down and dirty with determination ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts