Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have a 2000 honda shadow vt1100c and this winter im planning on installing a set of ape hangers. I think ive decided on this set. http://www.burlybrand.com/product/43/14-gorilla-apes
I just want confirmation that these will fit and also some recommendations on where to get extended wiring. Also for those who have done this maybe some tips or tricks to get it done quick and easy.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Take pic's of entire process. You'll need them when you go back to stock. Apes look cool but are are not very practical or comfortable on long rides. Some people like them, good luck with your project. Post pic when done. Let us know what you think of apes.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Take pic's of entire process. You'll need them when you go back to stock. Apes look cool but are are not very practical or comfortable on long rides. Some people like them, good luck with your project. Post pic when done. Let us know what you think of apes.

Apes are perfectly practical and comfortable so long as you get them at the proper height.

I didnt look at your link but if they're the same diameter as your bars (either 7/8 or 1") they should work. I would look for a set of bars that arent "knurled" ie, for stock harley controls.

Motion Pro for cables etc.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My Apes, 12 inch, are perfect for me. "comfortable" I don't think you have any idea. I can ride day in and day out and not have an issue. So I'm thinking you have never ridden with Apes?? I think not.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
My Apes, 12 inch, are perfect for me. "comfortable" I don't think you have any idea. I can ride day in and day out and not have an issue. So I'm thinking you have never ridden with Apes?? I think not.

12" apes aren't bad at all but I think most of us have seen some that are so extreme they appear impossible to ride safely. I call those "underarm dryers"

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
You don't "get" extended wires.. you get extended cables, extended brake lines..extended wires..you make them..one wire at a time

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
You can get a wire stretcher.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts

Yep and with the 16 inch apes and 8 inch risers I could even relax and put my feet on the triple tree!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yep and with the 16 inch apes and 8 inch risers I could even relax and put my feet on the triple tree!
Now that's Kickin back and Ridin. I like the way the think..

O! By the way CD.. What do you mean, "I haven't found a new bike yet" I'm out of the loop.. Clue me in please.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Now that's Kickin back and Ridin. I like the way the think..

O! By the way CD.. What do you mean, "I haven't found a new bike yet" I'm out of the loop.. Clue me in please.

I am thinking of getting a mistress to go with the Mistress ;)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I am thinking of getting a mistress to go with the Mistress ;)
It's all clear now.. You do know there's confrontation coming up. Should I ride mistress #1 Or ! Should I ride mistress #2..

Or! Am I thinking this out wrong? You're talking about your "Real" Mistress.. I was misled.

Your thinking of the HD Sportster. Stay with Honda.. Get her the Spirit.. She'll love it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can buy the cable, covers, ferrules, and ends from
Flanders cables for @$35 and make your own. I've got 14" apes That I made, and over 4000 miles on them. I've put in some 3 and 400 mile days with them and they aren't anymore uncomfortable than any other bars. Just getcha some and try 'em for yourself. Doesn't matter what others think.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
You can buy the cable, covers, ferrules, and ends from
Flanders cables for @$35 and make your own. I've got 14" apes That I made, and over 4000 miles on them. I've put in some 3 and 400 mile days with them and they aren't anymore uncomfortable than any other bars. Just getcha some and try 'em for yourself. Doesn't matter what others think.
or motionpro, your height and available slack in the stock wiring will determine whether you need to lengthen your controls wiring, do it slow, a wire at a time and make your mods where they can be tucked back under the tank ..it looks better that way, trust me I know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Figured I would post on here instead of starting a new thread. Finally got my 14" apes on and have my cables from motionpro. Last thing to do is the wiring and im wondering if anyone who has done this can give me step by step on how they did it, and maybe some tips and tricks to make it easier. Pictures would be great.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Figured I would post on here instead of starting a new thread. Finally got my 14" apes on and have my cables from motionpro. Last thing to do is the wiring and im wondering if anyone who has done this can give me step by step on how they did it, and maybe some tips and tricks to make it easier. Pictures would be great.
I just cut them all and lengthened them one by one, soldered and then re taped.. only real advice, make your cuts under the tank so it will look nice and stock when you get done.

·
Registered
180 Posts
2 best upgrades I did on my Aero was 12in mini apes and the Mustang seat.

Them beach bars that came stock were horrible! The stock seat was even worse...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I love my "fake apes" (stock bars with 6" risers). They are WAY more comfortable then the stock lower position.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
dont make all your wires cuts in the same spots stagger them so it isnt one big clump

1 - 19 of 19 Posts