Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive never even been pulled over on my bike but I was riding with about 5 bikers down the highway a week ago we were prolly doin 70 in a 55 cop passed us didnt even care, it was a state trooper too there usually hard asses around here, I dont drive recklessly but I like to keep some separation between me and traffic if I can, but I know **** well in my truck I woulda got a ticket

·
Registered
515 Posts
I drive very carefully on my bike, speed once in a while :-D

I have never been pulled over. Thought I was getting scored once, but the cop just wanted to pass me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I've never been pulled over on the bike, but I'm not that aggressive of a rider when out on the open road (other than tearing up some twisties :) ). In town is a little different as I try to keep away from cages and whatnot, but I don't go overboard.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Uh, I've been pulled over on a bike. A few times. My driving (not riding) record has MANY speeding tickets, and 1 accident.

I remember about 1996, middle of the week, I leave my apartment on my CB750. Back then I couldn't realize that the (very old) folks about 5 houses down from the complex HATED a Kirker 4 in 1 with no baffle. Needless to say, the cop kinda laughed and explained they (city police) had been called just about EVERY day I left on it...just hadn't got around to "talkin" to me yet. LMAO. This guy checks my license for M endorsement, hands em back, and tells ME to GO OUT THE OTHER WAY from the apartments:eek:. He goes on to tell me these folks HATE EVERYTHING that's loud, and call them ALMOST daily, complaining about the "godless heathen's" runnin down their piece of the road (20mph limit I might add).

I think they (old folks) liked me a little better than my Harley buddies in the weeks to come after my "stop". I started going out the other way THAT DAY, however, my buddies went Their way EVERY CHANCE THEY GOT.

Side Note: I have been really "haulin the mail" pulling boat (boys, I mean both feet on accelerator) and "obviously busted", "bird dog goin nuts" blew by K.S.P. runnin down KY parkway and he never pulled out! Sleepin? IDK. Maybe he knew I was headin to TN for some crappie, didn't bother me??
I don't know why sometimes you get away, other time's you don't.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I wouldn't say they are scared so much as it seems (at least to me) that they tend to give bikes a little more leeway. I stay away from cars too so go average about 10 miles over the speed limit. To date, no tickets, only the occasional biker wave.

Maybe LEO's empathize because they may have a motorcycle division?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Only ticket I ever got on the bike was last year on Highway 7 in Arkansas, I was following my wife on her Shadow and she had really gotten a good understanding of counter steering and was having fun running the road 70+ in a 55 it has some nice sweepers and hills. State Troopers had a speed trap set up when we came around a corner and down a hill and we got nailed they already had a goldwing pulled over when they got us. I don't let her lead anymore! LOL!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
95shadow1099 I had a cb750 with 4 into 1 straight pipes I about lost the least to my rental house over that thing lol it was loud as a mother, but thats a funny story though, I find it wierd they dont mind my shadow its just as loud with the slashcuts I got on it, guess its just less annoying sounding

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I got pulled over on Murfreesboro Rd. in Nashville while following a "black SUV". Turns out it was an unmarked State Trooper, and he didn't like my headlight modulater AT ALL! Tried to tell me the flashing light was illegal and was restricted to emegency vehicles only. So, with all due respect, ossifer, You are wrong. I proceeded to convince him that he DIDN'T know all the traffic laws by memory alone, with his permission and my convincing demeanor, I pulled from my saddlebags the FEDERAL law stating that they WERE legal in all 50 states. he was ticked, but he let me off with a warning. (warning for WHAT!!!)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Cop's scared to pull over bikers ????

Next time you see one, pull over and call him a "Chicken!!" and see what happens ;) lmao

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: No. I don’t think they are afraid of bikers. Perhaps, if alone out in the middle of nowhere, a bit cautious of pulling over a large group of obviously “rough” bikers. I do think most Leo’s do have a tendency to be more lenient with people on motorcycles. Although some of them have a “hard on” about wearing a helmet whether it’s the law or not. I haven’t been pulled over in years on a bike…that I remember. I’ve turned a corner or two…and disappeared quickly if I see a cop in back of me who turned to follow me. But afraid of bikers? Naw. :-D

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Cops aren't afraid of bikers, they like bikers. I always wave at cops and nearly always get a wave and a smile in return.

I think you would seriously have to be screwing up to get pulled over while riding. Or at least that's my observations in the last 3 years. :D

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Cops aren't afraid of bikers, they like bikers. I always wave at cops and nearly always get a wave and a smile in return.

I think you would seriously have to be screwing up to get pulled over while riding. Or at least that's my observations in the last 3 years. :D
:shock: This. I always wave or pull up next to them and "chat" them up. One thing most people don't think about is...cops are generally not p*ssies. They are risk takers or they wouldn't be a cop. Most are pretty rough men/women. If they were afraid of getting hurt...they'd be IT people or accountants. :lol::lol::-D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was doing my daily commute into work mid summer of 2009, and I was doing my usual 100 in a 90 zone (KM/H!!) and a cop pulled me over, ragged me out and slapped me with a ticket!!! meenwhile every other car on the road was passing me before I got pulled over.... Oh yeah and I was on my 1984 yamaha XS650, I would understand if I was on a high end Crotch Rocket (yuck)...

·
Registered
37 Posts
:shock: ...If they were afraid of getting hurt...they'd be IT people or accountants. :lol::lol::-D
Hey, I resemble that remark. I am an accountant who thinks accounting is too boring so I work mostly on the technical IT junk.

...and there are cop accountants and cop ITers too :shock:

·
Registered
96 Posts
As a California LEO, I can only speak for myself and by no means do I speak for the entire law enforcement community, but I can say that I personally have never been afraid to do a traffic stop on any biker when there's probable cause to do so. Obviously, the reason for the stop is very important. I've stopped 1%'ers flying colors as well as students on scooters, and everything in between. Having said that, sometime you just have to use some discretion as to whether a traffic stop is really worth endangering other peoples lives. When you attempt a stop on a rider, lets just use a rider on a sport bike for example, and the rider looks back at you and hits full throttle and drags his knee around the first curve, it's probably not worth endangering lives to pursue that rider. You radio a description and a license plate if you can get it to surrounding units and hopefully he/she will get stopped or followed by another officer. Yeah....some LEO's can get what they call at the driving school as "pursuit fixation" and they will chase a violator into the next state it left to do so, but honestly, that's the exception not the rule.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts