Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
I have a pair of Kevlar and fortunately have not had the opportunity see how well they work. I'd like to think leather would wear through in a long slide, and Kevlar would get hot. I'd rather have a burn than a burn with broken skin, dirt, gravel in it. I think having hand, knee, hip, elbow, shoulder protection with good gloves and those plastic inserts is probably more important because those are the slide points.

I hope someone will chime in because I would like to know if the wearing through / hot line of thinking is correct.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a pair of Kevlar and fortunately have not had the opportunity see how well they work. I'd like to think leather would wear through in a long slide, and Kevlar would get hot. I'd rather have a burn than a burn with broken skin, dirt, gravel in it. I think having hand, knee, hip, elbow, shoulder protection with good gloves and those plastic inserts is probably more important because those are the slide points.

I hope someone will chime in because I would like to know if the wearing through / hot line of thinking is correct.
you can wear Kevlar lined Jeans when you are riding a bike, and it's best options, basically it's also protect you in winter season that's why you feel hot.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
you can wear Kevlar lined Jeans when you are riding a bike, and it's best options, basically it's also protect you in winter season that's why you feel hot.
"...leather would wear through in a long slide and Kevlar would get hot" meaning in a slide...the Kevlar would get hot.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've never worn leather riding pants, so I can't really offer a comparison. However, I've been riding in kevlar jeans, Draggin' Jeans to be specific, for about the last 15 years (not the same pair :rolleyes: ) and I have no complaints. As to how they protect in a spill? Like others, I've never found out and hope I never do.
The cotton material is fairly heavy compared to regular jeans so yes, they can still get a little warm in the summer, but I've walked and hiked miles in them during motorcycle camping trips and events.
Anyway, they look almost like regular jeans so I don't have to sport the biker look when I'm off the bike if I don't wanna.

I'd just choose whatever of the two you'd feel most comfortable wearing. If you're comfortable, you'll wear them. If not, you may be tempted not to wear them regularly, in which case they won't do you any good at all.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
I cannot answer the question > Can Kevlar jeans protect you as well as leather riding pants can? <
I`ve not worn either...
BUT my leather Chaps took abuse rather than my skin in my collision where me & Bike slid 140 feet or so...
The leather was NOT worn through, but does have wear marks from rubbing pavement...
Discolored in the spots that made contact, No "road Rash looking marks though...
Gloves, chaps, jacket, boots and wallet all got their share of pavement scaping...
The pocket on my Levis was worn through, but very little road rash on the wallet ;)

Yes I`m GLAD I covered myself with Leather insteadda wearing flip flops & shorts,
Dennis

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
I cannot answer the question > Can Kevlar jeans protect you as well as leather riding pants can? <
I`ve not worn either...
BUT my leather Chaps took abuse rather than my skin in my collision where me & Bike slid 140 feet or so...
The leather was NOT worn through, but does have wear marks from rubbing pavement...
Discolored in the spots that made contact, No "road Rash looking marks though...
Gloves, chaps, jacket, boots and wallet all got their share of pavement scaping...
The pocket on my Levis was worn through, but very little road rash on the wallet ;)

Yes I`m GLAD I covered myself with Leather insteadda wearing flip flops & shorts,
Dennis
We're all sorry you had to find out the way you did, but thanks for the real world info on how leather held up in a serious crash and slide. Now I know that good quality leather is a legit option. Thanks Captain!!!!

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
Experience is the best teacher, I think...
I, too, hate it that I had to learn the Hard way...
It cost me the leather Jacket I`ve ridden in for Years, they cut it off me, but the chaps, boots and gloves survived with "tell tale" signs ;)
BUT I`m Glad I can Share my experience also...
I now KNOW that Leather is a good choice for covering up...
But I still wanna know about Kelvar,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Did a bunch of research into this, way-way-back when. Seems that leather has the best wear resistance, followed by Kevlar, followed by Cordura.

Generally, not-much beats a good piece of leather between you and the road’s surface if you should find yourself a skip-skip-skippin’ across it at 65mph.

Naturally, avoiding that eventuality, is pretty-much priceless!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
I always thought that leather would be the best for slide protection. And since it covers most of the skin area it would be safer.
Kevlar should be just as protective on the spots where the thick patches are placed but what about other areas where there are no patches? If the whole pant is Kevlar that may work fine. Not sure I want to test them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I now KNOW that Leather is a good choice for covering up...
But I still wanna know about Kelvar...
Well OK, then... :giggle:

I just took a look at my Draggin' Jeans. The Kevlar covers the whole rear seat area and a bit more. The front only of each leg has Kevlar extending down from a bit above the kneecap to about 6" above my instep...right around where my boot tops would be anyway. The rest is heavy blue jean material.

Here's the thing: Even though the Kevlar is tough tough tough, they are still blue jeans and the Kevlar will far outlast the cloth. I'm on my second pair in the last 15 years, but I also tend to wear the hell out of them before I replace them. They can be patched like regular jeans. I think I'll be due for another pair in a year or so, which means they lasted me a little over 7+ years each...And I ride a lot.

One of the concerns I had when I first bought a pair was "Is the Kevlar itchy?" It looks itchy but no, it's not. I don't even notice it.

You also have the option of ordering optional knee armor which slips in the legs and is held in place by a simple velcro patch.

Incidentally, Draggin' Jeans sells Draggin' Liners Draggin Liners which are Kevlar Long Johns that can be worn under whichever pants you like. It looks like a good idea as it adds full coverage Kevlar protection. I also wouldn't have to purchase a whole new pair of Kevlar jeans when the cloth parts wore out. I was looking into buying a pair but it seems like either they are perennially low on stock in popular sizes or are discontinuing the item....I'm not sure. I'll have to search to see if another company offers something similar.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've never worn leather riding pants, so I can't really offer a comparison. However, I've been riding in kevlar jeans, Draggin' Jeans to be specific, for about the last 15 years (not the same pair :rolleyes: ) and I have no complaints. As to how they protect in a spill? Like others, I've never found out and hope I never do.
The cotton material is fairly heavy compared to regular jeans so yes, they can still get a little warm in the summer, but I've walked and hiked miles in them during motorcycle camping trips and events.
Anyway, they look almost like regular jeans so I don't have to sport the biker look when I'm off the bike if I don't wanna.

I'd just choose whatever of the two you'd feel most comfortable wearing. If you're comfortable, you'll wear them. If not, you may be tempted not to wear them regularly, in which case they won't do you any good at all.
ok my friend take it easy, :)

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
184 Posts
Most of the times I take the kevlar jeans as they are comfy and in some tests they have proven to be quite safe. Especially when the jeans fabric contains kevlar as well. Of course they are not as rugged as e.g. kangaroo leather but better then normal jeans. I wear them with protective gear on the hips and knees. Every year some new invetions are available in shops so just try some.
this is not the most actual test and it's in German...

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most of the times I take the kevlar jeans as they are comfy and in some tests they have proven to be quite safe. Especially when the jeans fabric contains kevlar as well. Of course they are not as rugged as e.g. kangaroo leather but better then normal jeans. I wear them with protective gear on the hips and knees. Every year some new invetions are available in shops so just try some.
this is not the most actual test and it's in German...
ok great, it is Kevlar base jeans, i am also find Kevlar jeans and it's abrasion time is almost 9 second.

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
184 Posts
There are other materials as well, like dyneema, which seems to be even better than Kevlar
There are further rugged materials for jeans but I can't remember their names.
edit: like "Armalith"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts