Honda Shadow Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't help but notice that these bikes are basically designed to fail ata certain mileage. I've seen it time and time again. These bikes start to fall apart at 50,000 kms, give or take. Everything starts to go. I know that people here are Honda fans and don't like to hear this stuff, but I can't help but see these bikes as being disposable at a certain mileage

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many Hondas have you owned and maintained that you base your opinion on? Just curious.
2000 CBR F4, 2008 CBR 125, 1999 CR250R, 2016 CRF250, and now the VT750.

Sports bikes and dirt bikes are a different story from cruisers though, so my experience with Honda cruisers is basically nonexistent. I just know that around a certain milage, everything goes at once on most metric cruisers. They start to fall apart at around 30,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
7,416 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My 07 spirit has about 40,000 miles on it now and never had issue 1 with it. But then, I'm pretty meticulous about maintenance and cleaning it, and also store it in my heated shop. Now i'll be afraid the clock is ticking and it's going to self destruct any day now. There are a lot of bikes here with over 100,000 miles on them, and one in particular stands out with over 160,000 miles and counting. Plastics and rubbers will degrade over time on any machine, no matter the brand. A Honda cruiser is a damned reliable machine if you take care of it, and I have no doubt but that many others here will be chiming in.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I couldn’t disagree more.There are a tremendous number of high mileage cruisers in here still banging away. I would agree on sport bikes because of the way they get ridden and the extreme nature of the high rev engines. I raced a series of CBR’s in 600 and 900 flavors, and I would consider them toasted at about 18k miles. But I raced and beat on them hard.
My shadow 1100 is at 37k and with my steady maintenance, I’m quite sure I will have very little problems with it for many 10’s of thousands of miles more.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Where do people come up with this baloney? 😖
In short, I disagree.

Nothing to see here, just move along now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Last summer out on a ride I stopped at a scenic area and started chatting it up with a few other guys on Harleys and Indians. They loved my '99 Ace and had experience with Honda cruisers...to quote one of the Harley guys "keep up the routine maintenance and the bike will go forever"

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,425 Posts
IIRC @"Captain D" has a '98 750 ACE with a ton of miles on it including some track time and one or two deer under its belt and it keeps on rollin' as does the Owner. (-:

I want my bike to make 100,000 miles, it's at around 36,000 miles now, but if it blows up tomorrow, that's OK too, I won't be blaming Honda, just me and the mods.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Anything will last of you take care of it.
Anything will fall apart if you beat the crap out of it CONSTANTLY that is how sport bikes and dirt bikes are treated usually.
Also sport and dirt bikes are high strung to begin with and then the owners tighten that string even more.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,444 Posts
I agree. My Goldwing is falling apart at just under 500,000 km and my VT1100C2 will also proabably fall apart at around 500,000 km and are fairly disposable.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
672 Posts
This thread is just a culmination of someone getting way over their head in a project and throwing their hands up rather than admitting they were overmatched from the beginning and didn’t have the appropriate tools or knowledge to accomplish what they saw in their head.

Reactions: CSRoad and Clampett

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last summer out on a ride I stopped at a scenic area and started chatting it up with a few other guys on Harleys and Indians. They loved my '99 Ace and had experience with Honda cruisers...to quote one of the Harley guys "keep up the routine maintenance and the bike will go forever"
It's j
Sorry to hear that. My 07 spirit has about 40,000 miles on it now and never had issue 1 with it. But then, I'm pretty meticulous about maintenance and cleaning it, and also store it in my heated shop. Now i'll be afraid the clock is ticking and it's going to self destruct any day now. There are a lot of bikes here with over 100,000 miles on them, and one in particular stands out with over 160,000 miles and counting. Plastics and rubbers will degrade over time on any machine, no matter the brand. A Honda cruiser is a damned reliable machine if you take care of it, and I have no doubt but that many others here will be chiming in.
This thread is just a culmination of someone getting way over their head in a project and throwing their hands up rather than admitting they were overmatched from the beginning and didn’t have the appropriate tools or knowledge to accomplish what they saw in their head.
I have the tools and the knowledge. I just can't justify the time and effort. I have a guy coming to do my wiring on June 13th and my rims will be in within a matter of weeks. All that's left is some paint after that. I also need to install my jet kit.

My coolant leak is just a $3 seal to fix. The bike is getting done and then sold immediately since everything is starting to go on the bike.

·
Registered
672 Posts
So you’ve given up. No harm in admitting that. Machines beat humans all the time.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's j

I have the tools and the knowledge. I just can't justify the time and effort. I have a guy coming to do my wiring on June 13th and my rims will be in within a matter of weeks. All that's left is some paint after that. I also need to install my jet kit.

My coolant leak is just a $3 seal to fix. The bike is getting done and then sold immediately since everything is starting to go on the bike.
  1. This thread is just a culmination of someone getting way over their head in a project and throwing their hands up rather than admitting they were overmatched from the beginning and didn’t have the appropriate tools or knowledge to accomplish what they saw in their head.

Those aren't even half my tools. I have everything. Every drawer is full.

·
Registered
672 Posts
So if you have all the tools, why let a non-sentient machine best you? Seems like you have given up a project you were so gung ho on you spammed this forum with posts.

...yeah, throw it back together and sell it. Problems for the next owner, right?

Reactions: ShadowFlo

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So if you have all the tools, why let a non-sentient machine best you? Seems like you have given up a project you were so gung ho on you spammed this forum with posts.
Non-sentient or not, this thing still has a soul which is resisting me on every front lol...I know what you mean, I'm the one beating myself right now by lacking patience. I'm my own worst enemy in regards to this build. I will be getting it done though. It's just wiring, rims and tires that's left. Also a seal and some paint. It'll all be done by July 5th.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Oh sweet, I hope to see a “I have finished this project now” thread on the 5th. Looking forward to your completion.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Honda's don't last?? I just say you are wrong about that in fact it's pretty much well know Honda's go forever.

I don't know what your deal is but time and mileage are two different things. A bike that has set for 20 years unused is going to have problem no matter what bike you are dealing with. Rubber parts don't like age and no use. I had a 99 Shadow which was just about at 50,000 miles. No problem it was running great but I did have to do some work on it. I have a 2001 Valkyrie right now and I'm crossing 40,000 miles on it. I had to buy a battery and new tires but it's running well to the point where I'm going to go do a dyno run on it. I'm wondering how much Horse power it has lost with age but it is running full on, no problems at all. I did change all the fluids, pulled the wheels, did the back end maintenance etc. Labor was the cost with all that, materials weren't much of anything. I did the labor so it was free.

Except for the cranked up sport bikes, Honda's run forever with very little work. The sport bikes are a matter of how hard you push them butt that is the nature of sport bikes, long term riding is not their thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.