Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Wow, crazy! Pretty lucky dude. His bike looks totalled.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That bike is toast... Can't even believe that he was standing the whole time...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
WoW!

He most likely bounced off the grill of her car , that's why he stayed standing ouch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
holy cow..... you know its people like that woman in the Scion that rear ended him that make us all have to be hyper-vigilant while we are out on a "relaxing ride". What a shame, and I am so glad to see the guy able to walk after that. If she would have been going any faster her car would have been on top of him, foolish woman...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
MAN!! I live out in the country, but when i go to town i'm hyper vigilant as it seems all the cagers are driving with their heads in the clouds.

when pulling to a red, keep that bike in 1st gear, clutch pulled in, check your six and have an escape route. i'll only go to neutral once my six is fully covered.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
MAN!! I live out in the country, but when i go to town i'm hyper vigilant as it seems all the cagers are driving with their heads in the clouds.

when pulling to a red, keep that bike in 1st gear, clutch pulled in, check your six and have an escape route. i'll only go to neutral once my six is fully covered.
Agreed. I leave my bike in first until the first couple of cars behind me are stopped fully and then I'll pull it into neutral, but only if I'm at a really long stop light or waiting for a train or something. Leave a good amount of distance between me and the car in front of me so I can move if I need to.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Agreed. I leave my bike in first until the first couple of cars behind me are stopped fully and then I'll pull it into neutral, but only if I'm at a really long stop light or waiting for a train or something. Leave a good amount of distance between me and the car in front of me so I can move if I need to.
...I've got a sure fire way of never getting hit...I just pull up on the sidewalk at every intersection...:mrgreen::mrgreen:

...seriously though you may think that you can avoid accidents with all sorts of mucky muck routines, but believe me if you are in the line of fire you are going to get hit when your number is up and it won't matter what kind of safety routine that you can think up..it's still going to be WHAM and wow I didn't see that coming...:shock::shock:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
...I've got a sure fire way of never getting hit...I just pull up on the sidewalk at every intersection...:mrgreen::mrgreen:

...seriously though you may think that you can avoid accidents with all sorts of mucky muck routines, but believe me if you are in the line of fire you are going to get hit when your number is up and it won't matter what kind of safety routine that you can think up..it's still going to be WHAM and wow I didn't see that coming...:shock::shock:
Also agreed...

·
Registered
23,171 Posts

just as surely as that little piece of plastic on your head ain't always gonna help ya like you thought it would

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Yes, but there isn't anything wrong with taking preventative measures. it's just being smart.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Yes, but there isn't anything wrong with taking preventative measures. it's just being smart.
...Oh absolutely, but note that this is only helping increase the odds against something happening very marginally...you cannot protect against the unknown...unless you have the Starship Enterprises force field surrounding you, there is no preventative measure when your number is up...

...scenario...you stop at a light, room all around you, escape route planned...car coming at you, use escape route and get flattened like a pancake by the speeding truck that you did not see because the Semi truck was blocking it...WAM ....how did that happen?....:shock:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
You all go into neutral while sitting at a stoplight? Wow. Only when I have to adjust do I do that. Stop lights around here aren't very long though.

Dude's lucky. I usually keep creeping during a stop and look at the light in front of me to see where it's gonna be at then I just slow my roll so I don't have to put my feet down. Hand signals work wonders. Confuses the **** out of people and they inherently slow down. At least in these parts it works.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not so much the car behind me I am worried about. It is the unseen vehicle plowing into the 3rd or 4th car that could put out the lights. there is very little reaction time UNLESS you hear skidding...(Without a helmet the whereabouts and increasing or decreasing volume of that skidding is much faster to detect) Without skid you are toast. I did not hear any skid in the video.

My two biggest fears are rear end and animal. Neither can be comfortable mitigated against. But when I think about the times I personally had either happen in a car over 40 years I am comforted.......somewhat.

Today with texting issues one has to be wary of that and oncoming traffic on two lane streets or roads. In the moment it takes for someone to text the word "you" as "u" they have crossed 4 feet into your lane.... Nothing worries me more than kids texting while driving...**** they run into each other walking in malls with their heads down LOL You cannot see a kid without his or her head buried in a phone nowadays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts