Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arkansas is thinking about trying to get the Helmet law back on the books requiring all riders to wear a helmet. The opponents say it would slow down tourisom and big bike events like Bikes Blues And BBQ. And people in favor want it to help curb the high medical cost associated with motorcycle head injuries.

My question is if it passed would it stop you as a motorcyclist form coming to the state to tour and-or attending a large rally here. I know for most its only Hypothetical but I was just curious.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nope!

Wouldn't affect me at all! I wear my helmet now when I ride in AR. and every where else. I just think it is the smart thing to do!

Rick

·
Registered
943 Posts
I can see why people get annoyed, if someone doesn't have insurance, the state picks up the bill.

it wouldn't stop me from coming....but I do believe in the right to choose for yourself

·
Registered
5 Posts
sdbrit68 said:
I can see why people get annoyed, if someone doesn't have insurance, the state picks up the bill.

it wouldn't stop me from coming....but I do believe in the right to choose for yourself
Is it not cheaper to bury the rider not wearing a helmet?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll bet ya it won't pass. I wear a helmet most of the time, because I want to. You tell me I have to, and I have a special finger for you :evil:
Arspirit

·
Registered
270 Posts
nope .
I would wear a helmet even if there were no helmet laws here in Calif.

I rode without a helmet all during the no helmet law here and was the biggest complainer the year it was passed . In Jan right after the law passed and required helmets I begrudgingly wore one . Then that same month I hit some wet cable car tracks in SF and went down hard . My full face saved my face . I still keep it , the front chin has large scrape marks.

I have to admit I alternate between a half shell and a full face now though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have always worn a helmet, I value my brain, it helps me function.

Having said that, I believe everyone should have the choice of whether they want to wear a helmet or not. I have a friend in Chicago who refuses to ride when he comes out to Los Angeles to visit because of the helmet law. I respect his opinion, but remind him of all the great twisties he's missing out on here in SoCal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I believe in the right to free choice. Currently I wear a leather skull cap. There is a possibility that I might buy a helmet for out of state trips if I were going someplace that required the use of one. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though.

Would I go to Arkansas if there were a helmet law? I might. I would be more inclined to do so if there were no helmet law.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I don't know if I'll ever get to Arkansas, but a helmet law wouldn't effect my decision on going there.

I always ride with a helmet...why?

Here's the story of my first helmet....
Back around 1983, my best friend and myself were both needing helmets (dad said "get a helmet or you don't ride.") We had just bought Honda ATC's (3 wheelers). Since his dad had a connection at a cycle dealer, we could get them at cost. We were going to get open face helmets (cheaper), but his dad wouldn't get anything other than full face for us, so I ended up with a Bell Moto 3 (full face).

A couple of years later, I bought used 1979 Kawasaki KE175 enduro from my brother in law...my first bike! Several months later while screwing around on it, I took a turn too wide, clipped a curb, and proceeded to slide down the asphalt on my face. :cry: Lucky I was wearing that full face Bell Moto 3 that I didn't really want to kick at the extra few bucks on. Scratched the sheeeeeet out the chin bar...my head and face came out of it a-ok. :D Old faded scars on my shoulder, hip and hand now.

(The grasshopper that committed suicide dead center into my right eye at 60 miles per hour, :shock: convinced me to always wear goggles while riding on that old Kawi, too. Lucky I was wearing them) :mrgreen:

If I recall right, in traffic school :oops: they taught me that driving is a privilege, not a right. So if a state has a helmet law there is no choice. We have a seat belt law(1993ish?) that people bee-yatched about when it was going into effect (it will wrinkle my clothes! what if my car is burning?! what if my car is under water?! it's soooooo uncomfortable!). The result was fewer dead people from ejections. No one seems to complaining about seat belts anymore, not that I hear, anyways. I would think that manditory helmets would produce fewer dead motorcyclists and cut down on the smashed and peeled melons in the E.R.
(How about "Helmet-less motorcyclist health insurance" ? $$$)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm an equal opportunity cynic when it comes to helmet laws. No, it would have zero effect on my decision to visit Arkansas but I don't buy for one minute the reasoning behind the pro-helmet legislative forces.

The cost to healthcare systems by helmetless riders isn't even a drop in the bucket; more like a drop in the Mississippi River! I'd be willing to bet that non-compliant patients on the Medicaid system in Little Rock have cost taxpayers more money last year alone than all the M/C riders have for the last 10-20 years and maybe since motorcycles were invented.

Motorcyclists are a visible and easy target but what it comes down to is personal rights and as far as the saving taxpayers money arguement, there are so many bigger fish to fry it is a moronic statement.

·
Registered
225 Posts
we are having this exact argument in oklahoma as well.

i wear my helmet most of the time, but not becuase I'm forced to.

there are times that not wearing a helmet makes more sense....in town at slower speeds for example. i'd rather have the ability to see and hear everything around me, rather than the limits that my helmet give me (HJC CL-MAX). In town, especially the college town i live in, there is a greater chance of some retard trying to kill me from any angle. on the highway, there are many fewer options for others to try to kill me. on the highway, my mirrors and vision allow me to account for 90% of the angles of attack....in town, i can't see the tard pulling out of the gas station at my 4 or 5 o'clock. and chances are, he's not looking for me.

the best way to survive an accident is to NOT get into the accident in the first place. the best way to NOT get into the accident is to be able to get out of the way. and the best way to get out of the way, is to be able hear and see everything around me.

with a full head helmet, i am more likely to get snuck up on in town.

and, frankly, i'm a libertarian. to me, personal freedom trumps all others. i have good health insurance....if i get hurt, i'm gonna pay for it.

but i'd rather be allowed to make the decisions that allow me to not be hurt in the first place.

·
Registered
327 Posts
psychoboy said:
...and, frankly, i'm a libertarian. to me, personal freedom trumps all others. i have good health insurance....if i get hurt, i'm gonna pay for it.

but i'd rather be allowed to make the decisions that allow me to not be hurt in the first place.
Sums up my thoughts exactly. I'm an adult, I'll decide - same goes for seatbelts. Which brings up the real irony, here in FL you can get a $100 ticket for not wearing your seatbelt but you don't need a helmet. Guess we need an ABATE for cagers.

As far as the question posed in the OP, the helmet law doesn't keep me out of Georgia so it wouldn't keep me out of Arkansas, that is if I ever had a reason to go to Arkansas.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nope, won't affect me...I avoid Arkansas :wink:

Seriously, I am torn on the issue. I think helmet laws are great. We had an accident in Missouri that saved the life of three riders since we were "forced" to wear a helmet. Since then I keep my helmet on while riding.

But I don't really like the government saying what I should wear.

--BB

·
Registered
103 Posts
would not stop me. I wear one 99.9 % of the time any way. However what ever happend to the right of choice. They want to come in and make these laws. I mean "Give Me A Break" Shouldnt it be your choice if you want to wear one or not. You know I am all for laws in general but some laws really get to ya. Kinda like the seat belt law. I for one wear my seat belt all the time. Yet it is really frustating for the law to force some one to do it. I mean heck it is there choice right and it does not heart any one but the person that makes the choise right. maybe im just lost in my own world but that is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I live & ride in AR. I always wear my helmet. (I too vain not to)

But I think it should continue to be a choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wear one when required by law or when it is too cold to have my face in the wind. I do my best to avoid spending lots of time in states with helmet laws in favor of those that allow me to choose. Would I attend something in Arkansas if they passed a helmet law? Probably not. There are way too many other options available that do not limit my individual liberty. For what it is worth, I don't wear a seat belt either.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts