Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get older the ground seems to get further away,
time to say good bye to the jeans and skimpy jacket.

Any suggestions on stuff with the CE certified armor that doesn't look like your going into race or has you look like a dork.

A buddy recommended the Aerostich, says by the time you buy two separate items jacket then the pants you're spending $750 anyway ouch!! almost hurts the pocket as much as the fall.

Do you need to spend that much or am I missing something to be safer?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I am very pleased with my riding gear.

I feel protected and I didn't break the bank.

My jacket is the Joe Rocket Meteor 4.0 Ballistic ( approx $200 at a bike show)

Pants are Joe Rocket 5.0 Ballistic (approx $170 at a bike retailer)

check this place out for good gear deals...

www.newenough.com - be sure to check out their closeouts section

·
Registered
60 Posts
One of the best investments bike wise I have made would have to be my Fieldsheer riding jacket !
Detachable liner, very warm, lots o' armor pieces, very comfy indeed.
And, at less than $200, it cant be beat !

·
Registered
241 Posts
check out Tourmaster textile jackets as well. Very good quality, and not too expensive.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Know what you mean about looking like "ricky racer" on a Shadow. But there is hope. If your "only" a weekend rider might want to do the armour jeans and a Joe Rocket jacket. That's NOT a full-on matching set but if you only ride in fair weather...you gotta mix/match pieces. If your more the "ride everywhere" type, the matched pants/jacket sets are really great. Just a matter of choice/cost....but these garments will last many years.

There's a few companies that make "jeans" with armour:

Sliders Kelvar Riding Jeans (denim)
Draggin' Jeans
Esquad (new maker from France) www.esquad-jeans.com

Others like Joe Rocket, First Gear, Motoport all have jackets/pants for summer/winter driving. You just haave to decide what you need/want and how many months of the year you ride.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good info I'll do more research.

Anyone actually hit the ground with any particular brand?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the joe rocket jacket and pants. I have hit the ground wearing a first gear mesh jacket with armor, very similar to joe rocket stuff. I broke my left elbow into 4 pieces and scraped up my helmet pretty good but did not lose any skin. I still have the jacket and it is useable but it took a little cosmetic damage so I don't use it much any more. I do not ride with out at least the jacket and helmet, I sometimes go with out the pants if I am not making a day of riding. Oh yeah make sure you have good gloves, I was wearing good cowhide ropers and they took a beating also. I would have hated to see my hands without the protection of the gloves.
Jeff

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Have ya pulled the trigger on a bike?

What did ya get and where is the pic? :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xrayr said:
Have ya pulled the trigger on a bike?

What did ya get and where is the pic? :D
Yes I closed the deal with Freddie at LI Cycle, Bayshore.

No pics yet it is a little dirty, it is the royal blue and black, has a shield and sissy bar, 3200 miles.

but it looks like this ride

Waiting to take a few hours refresher classes when the temps get over 40.

Shopping for gear to protect myself.

Thanks for the links I'll check them out soon.[/img]

·
Registered
139 Posts
Might want to check out Iron Pony Motorsports.

http://www.ironpony.com

They sell lots of closeout merchandise. Friend bought a Technic Spider jacket and paid retail for it. (I think it was near $300.) Got mine as a closeout from Iron Pony for less than $90 including shipping. (I think they still have some left.) The Spider is a "combo" jacket offering a waterproof and windproof outer layer, which can be zipped off in warmer weather to reveal the inner mesh jacket that holds the armor. I really like it.

Anyway, take a look at their site. Their inventory is constantly changing, and they carry a wide variety of manufacturers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Saturday of Memorial Day weekend my wife and I thougtht we get out for a day of riding. My wife, Liz (aka Lightning), rides a 750 Shadow Spirit and I ride a Sabre. We left the house around 9:00am and had planned on stopping in a town about a half hour away for breakfast. I always keep Liz in front of me so that I can keep an eye on her. Liz was in the left two thirds of the lane and I was riding in the right two thirds. We were getting close to this town, going about 55mph, when I noticed a group of bicycle riders coming towards us in the opposite lane. Just then a huge black Labrador Retriever leaped out of the weeds and shot right out in front of Liz (the dog was going after the bicycles and didn't see us) . I don't think she even got a chance to hit the brakes. Her front wheel hit the dog in the ribs and down went the bike and Liz. Now Liz is sliding on the asphalt in font of me and I am braking hard (hate the sound of tires sliding on the road). I managed to stop with out running over my wife and ran over to her. Someone had called 911 already probably while she was still sliding on the pavement and the squad was there in five minutes. At the ER they xrayed eveything that hurt and did a CT scan on her head and neck. She came away from this with road rash on her chin and knee and sprained her left wrist. She was wearing a helmet, a Power Trip jacket, motorcyle gloves, jeans and boots.

I told her it was ok if she didn't want to ride again. She said she wanted a new jacket and a full face helmet this time.

She rode her repaired bike home yesturday.

I was so impressed with her riding jacket that I ordered a Joe Rocket Jacket for myself!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am 69 years old and when me and Aero leave the garage I have my Aerostich 2 piece on and if people think it is overkill let them think that. I feel very comfortable when I go for a ride. A lot of people ask me if I am hot in the suit and I tell them only when I stop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bossdog 69 said:
I am 69 years old and when me and Aero leave the garage I have my Aerostich 2 piece on and if people think it is overkill let them think that. I feel very comfortable when I go for a ride. A lot of people ask me if I am hot in the suit and I tell them only when I stop.
It's a lot cooler than being under the lights in ER.

Who cares what you look like with blood all over you?

It may be overkill in their minds, but your not killed perhaps.

Drive safe

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
if your not to big this is a real good deal. i bought two for my children.

http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_gx_air_jacket_page.htm

i went to a motorcycle show in the bay area and some of the vendors
had the same jacket on sale for $149.99, when i told them what i paid
on the net they said NO WAY you can't get this jacket that cheap.
make a bet ! ! !

ROD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tourmaster is great. My is a mesh, with 2 liners. One waterproof, the secound for warmth. Plus it has armour in all the right places. One major thing about Tourmaster. If it has to be backordered, do it right now if you plan on wearing it anytime this year. When they say backorder, they mean the have not even hired the little chineese kid to make it yet.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I just bought a FirstGear armored leather jacket today for $150. It was marked 1/2 price at my local Honda Dealer. I thought it was a good deal!

Bruce

1 - 20 of 22 Posts