Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks for all the feedback on my prior topic posting as to abrasion protection. obviously, armor AND abrasion protection is necessary. what would be the most simple products (jacket/shirt and pants) that would provide the best protection (my wife says money is no object when it comes to my well-being, must be love!). comfort and ease of wearability a big plus for me. WWFMD (what would forum members do?) ps, living omaha, nebraska, where summers are hot, winters cold. :?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I can tell you what I do.

I have a pair of First Gear HT II Overpants, they are great from about 75 degrees and below. With the liner in, I've ridden in the 20's with no problems. I'm going to pick up a pair of air overpants for hotter days.

As far as jackets go, I have two. One is made by Firstgear but says Honda on it. It has a full length liner and only one vent. It's good for as cold as I want to ride to about 75 as well. Anything over that and I'd roast with this jacket on. For warmer days, I bought a Firstgear Mesh jacket with a wind/rain liner. The wind liner comes out over 80. The only problem with the mesh jacket is it came with foam armor and I wouldn't trust it. Fortunately, the CE approved armor out of my heavier jacket fits it, so I just trade the armor out between jackets.

Gloves, I need three pairs, really cold, somewhere in the middle, and vented for warm days.

I buy most my gear from www.newenough.com. Everything there is new and the prices are great.

Boots, something over the ankle and my preference is steel toes. I don't worry too much about insulation since I have engine guard chaps to keep my feet warm.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ditto the overpants. Mine are Joe Rocket 'Phoenix' pants - meaning they're really warm weather pants (mesh/armored). But I can layer-up anything underneath them, so they're prefectly suitable for cold weather rides if I wear the right stuff underneath.

I have two jackets. A mesh/armored jacket for the heat of summer and an Aerostich 'Commuter' jacket (one of their older ones) that has a removable fleece liner. That one covers a wider range of temps - anything below 65 degrees or so.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I wear a First Gear Kilimanjaro Air II Jacket and FG Air II overpants which is good from 90 degs plus to low forties and with layering colder than that.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
billp said:
If money is no object, check out the Darien suit at Aerostitch. Motojournalists swear by them.
www.aerostitch.com

billp
Money is *always* an object. Balance safety with money. The Aerostich suit is worth every penny when you consider the alternative of not having gear. There are also less expensive alternatives that are just as good, but which may offer different specific points of features.

Almost *all* gear currently available offers level of protection, depending on materials, etc., and the *major* differences are in the features (water repellent, pockets, density of armor, extra ballistic layers, etc).

We're not talking thousands and thousands of dollars. We're talking hundreds. You can get minimum gear for about $500-$700. You can get *good* gear for the whole year long, a great helmet and spare gloves, all for about $1000 - $1500.

And frankly, if you can't afford the gear, you *shouldn't* afford the bike. Think of it right along side of insurance.

And of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't say it... Riding without gear is stupid.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a Motoport waist cut air mesh kevlar jacket with the 2 part liner. It has armor all over - around my ribs, shoulders, elbows, forearms, and back.

I've had it up to 90-degrees at the end of last summer and it was reasonably comfortable. Without the liner in, it lets a ton of air flow through. This winter I've riden with the windproof portion of the liner in. I had purchased a Gerbing jacket liner before I got this jacket, so I wear that under the Motoport jacket when it gets cold. Motoport's windproof liner does a great job stopping all that airflow. There is also a big reflective strip across my back and down my arms, which I like.

Their pants are next on my gear list - right now I'm wearing chaps.

Motoport's customer service is awesome. You give them measurements so they can custom fit your stuff. If your measurements fit a "standard" size, they may have one already made up. If not or if you want different colors, they custom make it.

I am lucky enough to live close to their factory, so after I had my jacket and wanted some alterations done, Wayne (the owner) invited my by. He spent at least an hour with me discussing my issue, measuring, and giving me a factory tour.

Their gear is definately not the cheapest, but I believe it is some of the best, most protective gear you'll find. My skin and bones are worth every penny I spent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts