Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding again two months ago on my 09 750 Spirit. Today the temp in north Texas is in the 70's so I took a long ride out in the country. There were bike riders everywhere. Our farm to market roads are usually in good condition, but naturally I found some today not so good. In one place the right side rut had broken the asphalt making a three inch drop off. I missed it and stayed on the center hump from there on. It gives me cold chills to think about... I have got to improve at watching for obstacles and bad road conditions.

I have stock Honda grips, and noticed some numbness in my right hand. Any suggestions for more comfortable grips?

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I still have stock grips on my bike. I did however, put a crampbuster on my right handle. Allows you to relax your grip some and use the heel of your hand to keep throttle. Go to Cycle Gear in Plano off 75. They're currently $6. Helps me out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I started riding again two months ago on my 09 750 Spirit. Today the temp in north Texas is in the 70's so I took a long ride out in the country. There were bike riders everywhere. Our farm to market roads are usually in good condition, but naturally I found some today not so good. In one place the right side rut had broken the asphalt making a three inch drop off. I missed it and stayed on the center hump from there on. It gives me cold chills to think about... I have got to improve at watching for obstacles and bad road conditions.

I have stock Honda grips, and noticed some numbness in my right hand. Any suggestions for more comfortable grips?
Spent all day down here in SE Texas on some beautiful FM roads! Most I had never been on so I always keep a full scan going. I also keep a good scan on the other side of the road as well as I will likely be coming back home that way. I may not always remember where that pot hole is on the way back, but at least it's on my mind. The biggest thing down in these parts are tar snakes. I swear we have more down here than any other state!

I have stock grips. After an hour my right hand is buzzing so bad I can hardly answer my iPhone with it. Looking to change grips myself as well.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
Welcome...
The hand cramps & numbness I have experienced, disappear when I loosen the "Deathgrip" on the handgrips...
Another trick is to reposition your feet/legs and or your butt...
Good luck,
D

Watch out for road hazards!

·
Registered
723 Posts
I put grip puppies on all my bikes, they just slide over the current grips.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have aftermarket grips and added weights to the end of the grips stoped most of the viberations atleast my hand doesn't go numb.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,437 Posts
THIS is what you need:

Cognito Moto - Gran Tourismo GT Grips 7/8"

No modern design is a good. The shape fits your hand and the two piece design dampens vibration and they will outlast cushy foam grips...
I believe he will need 1" grips.

The Grip Puppies might be a solution but $23+ shipping seems a tad expensive. I've used the same set of Kuryakyn ($60) on the 1100 and the Valk but both are smoother in the vibration dept. compared to the 750's. Also the Kurys are larger in diameter affording more comfort and also allows use of their Throttle Boss for additional hand relief.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
I had the same issue when I first got my spirit. I attributed some of it to my "death grip" on the new to me bike. I picked up some gel palm gloves and relaxed my grip a bit and now all is well.:D

·
Registered
612 Posts
The numbness and tingling you are experiencing is due to the euphoria or riding.
Its how you know you are alive and kicking. Nor is it a dream.
Embrace it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The Grip Puppies might be a solution but $23+ shipping seems a tad expensive. I've used the same set of Kuryakyn ($60) on the 1100 and the Valk but both are smoother in the vibration dept. compared to the 750's. Also the Kurys are larger in diameter affording more comfort and also allows use of their Throttle Boss for additional hand relief.
The link Harry posted is the correct item. Used to be able to get them considerably cheaper but they do seem to hold up well (I've never had to replace them) and if you aren't interested in replacing grips they are an easy way to go.
There are other, similar, products but I haven't compared prices.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, and yes I do tend to grip too tight at highway speed.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I had the same issue when I first got my spirit. I attributed some of it to my "death grip" on the new to me bike.
I agree with smilie and gypsy, chill out and relax. Get some comfortable floorboards and/or a new seat, and enjoy the ride. The death grip will get you in trouble someday. If you are tense on the bike mistakes are more likely to happen. You've probably heard some of the more seasoned riders here say "be one with the bike". It makes sense and you will understand it in a moment of ... "yeah I get it". I have stock Honda grips and I like them. I never had the 'numb' feeling, but I will admit to wanting a decent cruise control setup for longer Interstate trips.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
After looking up the Grip Puppies I think I may get some, they seem to have nothing but great reviews. I have a problem with my fingers and toes that vibration affects greatly and so far have not gone on a long enough ride to find out if they will go numb and don't want to take a chance. Playing guitar Sunday for worship after about 45 minutes I dropped a pick because I couldn't feel it, I'd hate for that to happen while riding!

·
Registered
323 Posts
After looking up the Grip Puppies I think I may get some, they seem to have nothing but great reviews. I have a problem with my fingers and toes that vibration affects greatly and so far have not gone on a long enough ride to find out if they will go numb and don't want to take a chance. Playing guitar Sunday for worship after about 45 minutes I dropped a pick because I couldn't feel it, I'd hate for that to happen while riding!
This is my problem too. Not gripping too hard, just somehow on real long rides the vibration on my 750 hauling down I45 at 70 puts my hands to sleep real bad. I notice it only in my right thumb mostly. Takes a bit to get the feeling back so I don't drop my pick!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
This is my problem too. Not gripping too hard, just somehow on real long rides the vibration on my 750 hauling down I45 at 70 puts my hands to sleep real bad. I notice it only in my right thumb mostly. Takes a bit to get the feeling back so I don't drop my pick!
I guess I should clarify a little better!;) I don't want to loose my grip on the handlebars like I do on a pick so I don't drop my bike with me on it because of loosing feeling in my fingers or nnot being able to pull the brake or clutch lever in, either would not be good.
I wish I could play guitar and ride at the same time, my two favorite activities.
There, I think I got it right!:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts