Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for two years there's been this older Honda Shadow motorcycle sitting in front of a local chicken wing and fried fish restaurant.

A year ago I stopped by and asked the owner about that bike since it never moves. He said it was a 1997 Shadow 600.
It used to run, up until 2020, but suddenly had a problem with its electrical system and wasn't generating a spark.

He had some amateur mechanic friends look at it, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Tried cleaning contacts replacing a few small electrical component parts here and their new spark plugs and nothing worked .
A professional mechanic from an established Motorcycle shop said they couldn't even diagnose it for any reasonable price, and the owner didn't want to pay a ton of money on A bike that he only paid several hundred dollars for.

Well, the bike set parked outside, only partially shaded from the sun and only partially protected from the rain under a very very narrow overhang of the roof. It sat there unused for another year.

The other day I noticed it had been moved and there was a bucket of cleaning supplies next to it and I stopped by and ordered a catfish dinner and talked to the owner. He said that his mechanically-minded friends and him had been working on it recently, and they finally got it running. (yay!)

I forget exactly what the problem was, but it was some kind of coil and it only cost $30 to get the necessary part.

Then the bike ran great, purring like a kitten which he showed me starting it up there in the parking lot and letting it idle a couple of minutes.

He renewed the insurance on it and the license plate 2023 Sticker/ decal.
He's using it a few times a week now happy to be back on it after not riding it for over two years.

Bottom line: Don't give up! Keep attacking the problem from different angles and have confidence that eventually you'll get that thing working again.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

· Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
551 Posts
Did you tell him about the great troubleshooting help he could get on the forum here? He would have had it up and running a long time ago.
LOL brother... that's the darn truth. One of the many reasons I like this site... the people, stories and willingness to share knowledge to help each other out.

· Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last year, I did photocopy about 10 pages from my Clymer's manual for him--the section about troubleshooting a bike that won't start.

But I told him I couldn't photocopy all 90+ pages that dealt with the Honda Shadow's electrical system. I recommend that he buy the manual, the one specific for his size bike (my manual was for the 1100 cc engine versions.) Either way, it's only a $35-$40 book.

One day I'll have a chance to make some smalltalk with him and I will mention this website and recommend that he join here, introduce himself, and be prepared to offer other people help about problems he's encountered in the past. And be prepared to take advantage of our collective knowledge base if he has another problem in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts