Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
John, just curious. please post a pic of your bike when you get a chance so we can see what your working with. :)

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Either side... Any Cheapo Mega Hold Hairspray... It will hold the grips firmly in place but also allow you to remove the grips more easily later-on and also without trashing the throttle tube.. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Don't use locktite or super glue or you'll have a hell of a time removing the grip at a later time. You can use lady's hair spray or electrician's tape on the throttle sleeve to make the grip stick but not permanent if you want to install new grips a later time.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
Loctite is a thread locker but they do make one of the finest super glues around.

Bizarre as it sounds I use pump style hairspray as a slip on agent and cheap super glue. This process allows you more time adjust and sets up in 5 minutes. To remove grips, carefully & slowly twist grips and the glue actually will break loose. I done this procedure installing my Kurys on the Spirit (30,000 mi./5yrs.) and removed them to reinstall on the Valk thus saving $60 for my favorite grips. Using pure super glue you better be pretty damn quick. Been there done that. :oops:

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
the right grip on my bike slides right off. what's the best stuff to glue it back on? locktite of some kind?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
There are quite a few ways to 'lock' the grips on the handlebars. The right grip, being the throttle, you don't really want to 'glue' it on, in case you want or need to change it out later on. However, there are products, like Grip Glue, which don't 'permanently' stick it on, but will make it so it doesn't slip. Personally, I've gone with a 'cheap' alternative, and used liquid soap, like Ivory, and it worked fine for me for years. Just put a little inside the lip of the grip, and slide it on, and leave it alone for a few hours. When the soap hardens, it sticks to both the grip and the handlebar/throttle sleeve. If you put too much in there, it will just slip and slide all the time, and you'll have to wash it out and off the handlebar/throttle sleeve before you can get it to stick.

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
When it comes to hairspray for hand-grips - the cheaper the better too!! The real cheap stuff is sticky as all hell ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just realized i misinformed...it was the left grip, with the clutch. i am so sorry! i found some go2 locktite glue and has to use it. the grip is a combo of rubber and metal, and the rubber wouldn't adhere to the spray.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmmm...the glue didn't work. i'm going to scrape it off, get a clean surface, and try again. do i spray on both the handlebar and the grip, or just one and slide the grip on?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay, i've tried hair spray, crazy glue, and go2 glue. none of them stick after 24 hours. attached are pictures of the grip itself (100% rubber on inside) and the requested pic of the bike, ImageUploadedByMO Free1421614058.186721.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1421614083.151194.jpg

the puddle see is there i was draining the rusty crappy water that had built up inside the radiator and had flushed it out then refilled. speaking of which, is there a "magic way" to tell when the radiator is full? and according to the manual, you are supposed to leave the radiator cap off after filling, crank the bike, and make sure no air bubbles come out. when i did this, i had radiator fluid come spewing out, at which point i refilled while the bike was running (according to the manual). is that normal? or was it an air bubble?

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I think you've got a build up of the previous adhesives inside the grip now. You'll never be able to clean it sufficiently for any other adhesive to bond with. You need new grips. imo

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
:neutral: ..I used hairspray on my isogrips?? ..Worked fine. Yours do look a-little damaged though?

... You could get some good 3M electrical tape and wind that around your bar where you plan to mount the handgrips - this to make the fit a little tighter - and then use the cheap, sticky hairspray to mount... Hose down the inside of the grips, then a little on the end of the bar, rotate the grip on, and let it sit for 24 hours...You don't want to use too much and push that sticky stuff into your throttle housing..

...I mounted my isogrips over the bar, heated grip elements and electrical tape, and the hairspray set them up real nice..

Best of luck!

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
1" grip on a 7/8 handlebar its never going to stick.wrap electrical tape around the bars to take up the extra room
I think we are all assuming he has the right grips but.... :D if they are original chances are they are aged to the point of needing to be replaced if they aren't reglueing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good points. the grips basically slide on, don't really have to be "worked on". i was told original to the bike, but who know. I'll try the electric tape method as a last resort and see what happens.

j

John

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
the puddle see is there i was draining the rusty crappy water that had built up inside the radiator and had flushed it out then refilled. speaking of which, is there a "magic way" to tell when the radiator is full? and according to the manual, you are supposed to leave the radiator cap off after filling, crank the bike, and make sure no air bubbles come out. when i did this, i had radiator fluid come spewing out, at which point i refilled while the bike was running (according to the manual). is that normal? or was it an air bubble?
Sounds like you added just a bit too much coolant and didn't let it settle to fill the voids to let the air out before starting. I always like to rock the bike side to side and front to rear, rear to front to force the air out and let the coolant settle in. BTW if you bike has the coolant reservoir did you drain it also so it's clean?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it does have a coolant reservoir, but i could not figure out how to drain it. do I remove it to do so?

how do you tell if it is overfilled? there isn't exactly a line...:)

John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts