Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2005 Honda Shadow VT600CD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Honda Shadow VT600CD. The auto petcock stopped working (blocking fuel to the carb) so I rebuilt it using an auto petcock rebuild kit from Partzilla. Today I put the fuel system back together & fuel was streaming from the auto petcock seam(s). The rebuild kit items are pictured below. There were no gaskets which seems to be why the petcock is leaking from the seam(s). I took it apart & re-assembled it again but blowing air on the fuel inlet (large nipple) makes air leak around the seam(s). When I 1st dis-assembled the petcock, there were no gaskets...

Do I need to make gaskets for the 2 seams of the petcock? Or was the rebuild kit supposed to have gasket(s)? Or am I assembling the flanges wrong? I would THINK that the vent hole should face up; the inner & outer flanges MUST be in the proper position to accommodate the fuel lines & vacuum hose.

The service manual doesn't have the auto petcock rebuild details.

Has anyone heard of a auto petcock bypass manifold/tube? It would need to accommodate 2 different fuel line sizes...

Help!

Material property Trigger Revolver Wood Gun accessory
Motor vehicle Auto part Nickel Machine Metal
Magenta Jewellery Circle Button Metal

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,292 Posts
Looks like the rim of the diaphram is an O ring shape ridge to seal the covers.
Maybe the new parts are not as thick in the O ring as the original?
You might lay the parts on a flat surface like a sheet of glass and see if the sides have warped and lost pressure on the center areas.
Possible to flat sand them to be flat and seal again?

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,183 Posts
Buy a new petcock, don't bypass it. Buy an aftermarket one that is all manual. I don't know what type it is but here is a pic of mine. This is the best, smoothest operating petcock out of all of my bikes. If it is aftermarket I would like to know the brand to buy for my other bikes. This one could be my OEM for my 2002 Spirit, I'm just not sure.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Vehicle

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,183 Posts
Sorry, I don't know what I was talking about. Yours isn't in the tank. In that case some people have used an in-line valve. It is the same principle but it would be attached to the bike and could be turned on and off manualy.

Perhaps with different size hoses something like this might work and buy the other size connector you need.
Motion Pro Fuel Valve - 12-0039 1/4 Straight Outlet 15-0997 0705-0126 1/4 142579
Motion Pro Fuel Valve - 12-0039 1/4 Straight Outlet 15-0997 0705-0126 1/4 142579
Opens in a new window or tab

Brand New
5.0 out of 5 stars.
10 product ratings- Motion Pro Fuel Valve - 12-0039 1/4 Straight Outlet 15-0997 0705-0126 1/4 142579

$22.31
Buy It Now
Free 4 day shipping

1 - 7 of 7 Posts