Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I started to develop a prototype around 6 months ago, the purpose is to automatically cancel turn signals (like in your car). Since old motorcycles does not have angle sensor, I had two ways of achieving my wanted result:
  1. Gyroscope based adapter that measures deviations and cancels turn signals
  2. Develop simple to attach angle sensor (best way would be contact-less, hall effect sensor)
I chose first one, but thinking about lite version that would use second version

Since I started to develop it my colleagues ask me to build few for them. As for now I'm in developing stage, close to finishing coding part. PCB's are already done.

Well everything is good and so on, but since I can't control mechanical turn signal cancellation (button press in the middle of turn signals), what do you think the best way to cancel that push, since it latch, I been thinking about removing latch mechanism from original part, or simply change all mechanism, but idk to be honest. Any recomendations?

Please let me know what you think

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,542 Posts
I would think removing the latch and then using the current switch as a trigger mechanism.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Shadow Spirit "Rosie"
30 Posts
My immediate thought would be the addition of a replacement switch. Removing the latching mechanism from the stock switch means you're going to have to utilize an electronic latch anyways, and depending on price point, I wouldn't want to spend the money on something like this and then have to modify the switch myself vs installing a new part that comes with the unit.

Plus, you will still need some sort of cancel function (signaled at the wrong intersection, not going to change lanes after all, etc.) that I don't think you could achieve, at least not easily, with the factory switch? (That's just a guess, i'm an electrician and i'm making an assumption on how the factory switches operate having never taken one apart/replaced one...)

Just my initial thoughts, if I think of more i'll post them.

Jason

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,318 Posts
I'm presently have a ST2 Turn System waiting to install. On the Valkyrie forum "Jersey Mike" developed a similar system to the ST2. And yes it's damn well worth having a self canceling system. I consider it a safety feature that should mandatory on all streetable motorized vehicles. We have enough going on riding and protecting ourselves.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,763 Posts
My thumb is trained again during the first ride of the season and then keeps flipping around and presses the cancel button from time to time, whether needed or not.
Sometimes I even break out the hand/arm signals, due to a quest for additional attention, they are sort of ingrained too as dinosaurs didn't have turn signals.

A consideration is the stock mechanical switch also switches off the front running light when triggering the turn signal so you need that to come back up when cancelling.

I vote for a mind reading, solenoid operated thumb. (-;

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,091 Posts
Two springs makes it a momentary switch.

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
443 Posts
My thumb is trained again during the first ride of the season and then keeps flipping around and presses the cancel button from time to time, whether needed or not.
Sometimes I even break out the hand/arm signals, due to a quest for additional attention, they are sort of ingrained too as dinosaurs didn't have turn signals.

A consideration is the stock mechanical switch also switches off the front running light when triggering the turn signal so you need that to come back up when cancelling.

I vote for a mind reading, solenoid operated thumb. (-;
I've always used my hand/arm signals in conjunction with the ones on the bike. I always assume that cars in front or behind me don't see the ones on the bike. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,230 Posts
A self cancelling blinker system is a tough one...

Let's say you're coming up on a right hand turn and you start your blinker to signal to the car behind you. The road has a curve to the right and then straightens before you reach your turning point. Wouldn't a gyroscope system recognize the turn and then the straightening of the bike which would make it think to cancel the blinker before you reach the intersection?

Or maybe you've activated your blinker, come up to an intersection, then stop. For whatever reason you have to creep through the intersection making the bike's lean negligible as you make your turn. How would the gyroscope know to cancel the blinker once through the slow, non-leaning turn?

Maybe some sort of GPS system working with the gyroscope to track movement? Almost could work with some sort of smartphone app.

Anyway, an aftermarket self cancelling blinker would be mighty cool.

Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lus, you will still need some sort of cance
A self cancelling blinker system is a tough one...

Let's say you're coming up on a right hand turn and you start your blinker to signal to the car behind you. The road has a curve to the right and then straightens before you reach your turning point. Wouldn't a gyroscope system recognize the turn and then the straightening of the bike which would make it think to cancel the blinker before you reach the intersection?

Or maybe you've activated your blinker, come up to an intersection, then stop. For whatever reason you have to creep through the intersection making the bike's lean negligible as you make your turn. How would the gyroscope know to cancel the blinker once through the slow, non-leaning turn?

Maybe some sort of GPS system working with the gyroscope to track movement? Almost could work with some sort of smartphone app.

Anyway, an aftermarket self cancelling blinker would be mighty cool.

Good luck!
So this was the issue, but since then I improved the main algoritm, right now you really have to turn your bike or lean with it. But if you are changing lines it does shut it off. I was implementing 3 blinks feature, whenyou just lightly press turn signal button, it flashes 3 times (for changing lines, round abouts etc.) so right now I'm still working on software to make it as safe as possible. If you guys have additional features, let me know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts