Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m in the process of getting a 1987 Honda Shadow 700cc back up and running. I had to reconnect the primary tank and wanted to test to connection to make sure there was no leaking with the hoses. So, I poured some fuel into the primary tank(not a bunch...count to 4). Looked at the hoses. All good, no leaks. Then I noticed fuel leaking out of the bottom. Apparently (for reasons that I have yet to figure out) the former owner unclamped the hoses between the aux and the petcock valve. So, I unscrewed the petcock valve assembly from the frame, reattached the hoses to the aux tank, put the clamp on the hose and added a bit more fuel. It still continued to drip from the hose\clamp connection. I tested the clamp with my hand, and I can move it without pliers without any problems, which I'm guessing I shouldn't be able to do. So, all that to say, I have two questions:

1) Where can I get ahold of a new clamp for the hose that runs between the petcock valve and the aux tank?

2) Since a bunch of fuel leaked\spilled all over my back patio (which is a rental....), does anyone know of a way to help get it up? I sprayed water to help dissipate it, until I remembered from high school that water and oil (which is what fuel is based on) don't mix, and i was really just spreading it around. Would a crapload of kitty litter do me any good?

Does anyone have any advice? This is a bike I inherited from a friend, that he says he hasn't run in 1-3 years. I've got a new battery on it and spark, and the motor tried to turn over. Now I'm at the next step(based on the troubleshooter in the manual.)

ImageUploadedByMO Free1419623747.816402.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1419623772.662586.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Are your hoses old and hard. If so, may need to replace them. If you do, make sure to get alcohol resistant fuel line. You can pick up a hose clamp from any hardware store, auto parts store, or home improvement center. The fuel you spilled is long gone and beyond clean up. By the time you get to it with oil dry, it will all be evaporated. Get your fuel leak fixed and move on to your next step.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't know about the old part, but they are definitely not flexible (i'm guessing they should be?). where do i pick up a hose for this particular area of the bike?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as an fyi, I checked parts pit stop for this particular part and it isn't carried. i'll try google, but if anyone knows offhand of a good place, let me know. the only way i could get the hose back on was to unscrew the petcock assembly, pull it out far enough to get the hose line up, the push it back on a rescrew the valve in place.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
You should be able to get a short piece of fuel line at the auto parts store and bend it to fit. Take the old hose with you so you get the right size hose and clamps.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The fuel you spilled is long gone and beyond clean up. By the time you get to it with oil dry, it will all be evaporated.
he's meaning the discoloration or stain patch left behind on the bare concrete after the gas evaporates. Either wet down the entire area with gasoline or feather the edges with gasoline .... or scrub the splotch with garage floor cleaner which may or may not blend in the splotch.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To give an update on this, this problem has been fixed. I went to oreilly today. The fuel line in questions was larger on one opening than another, so I had to buy two sizes of hose and a adapter, but it worked. the petcock valve had to stay unscrewed, since in order to get the hose and adapter to all fit on the bike nothing could be bent, but when i poured fuel into the tank, listen as it ran into the aux tank, nothing came out of the line, not one drop. so it's rigged, but it works. i figure while its cold, and since the bike will need it any way, ill give it a new choke lever (it doesn't have one at all), give it a new run\off switch (discovered today that it is hotwired to run and have to shut it off using the key), and clean the carb (taking them off the bike and using the manual to follow the instructions). I did test the bike to see if it would crank and it did try to. I could hear it sucking air (the cover was\off) and heard light popping coming out of the pipes. so I am growing more optimistic about it.

woohoo!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts