Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from NJ and visiting in FL.

I was on my bicycle leaving a 7 Eleven tonight and watched this biker pull in to fill his tank.

The color of his 2007 Harley tourister was beautiful. I decided to peddle over and ask him the name of the color. He told me me it was fire engine red. He then added that that color could only be used by firemen.

I thought: Wow. That is great that this color could only be used by firemen/women.

I later wondered if there is a color reserved for policemen/women.

He said he was from Connecticut and was retired in FL.

For those of you who live in FL. He and I talked for about 15 minutes at the pump with me seated on my bicycle and his standing at his beauty.

As you all know, there is a time for biker conversations to come to an end. I wished him a safe ride and thanked him for the talk.

He then said to me: You know, when you came over I thought you were a bum looking for a handout. But as soon as you spoke, I knew you could not be one.

The look on my startled face must have been prompted him to add: Besides you smile and I saw you have teeth.

So are there reserved bike colors out there?

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts

well, I spent 2 years of my 4 year enlistment in the US Coast Guard as a firefighter at the base fire department at TRACEN Cape May.

I'm now a custom bike painter. There's no "rights" on any paint colors. Any color you want you can have it matched and use it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
police and fire bikes

If you are a police officer or a firefighter you can order a police special and the fire engine red bikes. It will say on the air cleaner that is what it is. I have both fire and police officer friends with those bikes.
You have to prove that you are in those professions to place the order.
Police bikes were two tone blue but i understand there is now another color available for police.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here's the link to the Harley versions

http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2007/Special_Editions.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US&HDCWPSession=XfvHFshLTCbMhNpm71rJr1TgQxgCFC3Q2Jbl9LzjP6q1zQxNgSPy!448921992!1366119708

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Makes for a good story doesn't it... :)

Every fire truck company that I know of uses a slightly different color red and on top of that I've seen fire trucks painted in just about every color you can imagine. Pittsburgh had some trucks in Black/Gold, Wayne Twp in Indy had a green engine at station 2, there is a putrid greenish-yellow that the folks here call slime-lime, along with yellow, blue and purple trucks.

Now the special edition bikes that Harley makes are reserved for card carrying FF/Police and whoever else they decide to make a bike for but used anyone can buy them as far as I know.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The colors would be restricted by the manufacturer.

There's no law that says you can have your bike painted the fire engine red
or "police blue".

As someone above stated, there is no "color right".

Heck, some of the taxi cabs around here are painted blue, with
grey hoods and deck lids, just like a State Trooper.

If you look at an American LaFrance fire truck and a Mac fire truck,
they will not have the same exact color of red.

Harley, BMW, and others produce police and fire bikes in certain colors
and generally don't make those colors available to the public.
It's supposed to be an "elite" bike for those in public service.

Sorta makes sense... sorta doesn't.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to be a Deputy Sheriff in Volusia County (Daytona area). There is no such law as far as I am aware.

The only law regarding color is the color of lights allowed to be put on vehicles - either strobe or undercarriage lights. . .

·
Registered
63 Posts
fire & police colors

Sorry, I didn't think there would be any confusion over this. The colors are factory colors and not a color covered by any law.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would'nt mind on of these "Army Patroit Special Editions", base price $14,800.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
color

In my original post, I did not mean to indicate that the rider with whom I spoke was referring to a law issue. I thought it was just that it was the manufactures who decided that a certain red or blue might be reserved for firemen or policemen.

I thought that was a great special idea for the men and women who daily protect us in our communities.

Actually, what made me applaud the idea was my visitng the president's summer home in Key West. We were told that the gates to the entrance of the estate are only opened when the president visits. Is it law?? I do not know. But I am confident that Ophrey and Trump can never pass through those gates unless they are in the presidentail car!!!! And many of the other rich and famous as well.

Jim

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: ......

BDsbigZRX said:
well, I spent 2 years of my 4 year enlistment in the US Coast Guard as a firefighter at the base fire department at TRACEN Cape May.

I'm now a custom bike painter. There's no "rights" on any paint colors. Any color you want you can have it matched and use it.
Hmm another Coastie here. Im AD CG.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts