Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Aero , and just recently it backfired when I started it. Can old spark plugs be the cause of this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I noticed a backfire in mine at about 1000 rpm in first, Had my buddy look at the bike and he thought might be some trash in the carb. Well, upon close inspection, had some rust in the tank where the previous owner had stored the bike without the fuel tank being full, had to clean carbs, clean and reseal the inside of the tank, changed the fuel filter, flushed the system, changed the plugs. Runs like a champ now, picked up a little better gas milage and a lot more power.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Spark plugs aren't usually a cause of backfiring. Timing, yes.

I noticed my 1100 backfiring on decel now that it's colder out. Not a lot but on a hard decel from 3500RPM or so.

If the backfiring happens a lot, worry. Once in a while, not so much. Backfiring is typically caused by unburned, ignitable, fuel mixture entering the exhaust and building up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wanted to service everything, considering what I found with the tank, I thought it was best to know what exactly I had going on, Plugs were not the problem, only a slight carbon build up, like it was running a bit rich. but with all the chemicals we had to run through the tank and carbs, once I ran a tank of fuel through with sea foam, I wanted new plugs, filters, oil, everything serviced and ready to ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would agree with mudholemike. definitely need to know when the last time you fired the bike up was. It most likely doesn't have anything to do with the spark plugs. But riding too rich or too lean can sometimes cause back firing. Also, any leaks in the exhaust can cause a bike fire as well. If it was just a single event. I would not worry about it. If it persists then you have an issue.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
,,,and don't forget to turn the fuel off in case some is leaking into the cylinders. Also check oil for strong fuel smell - a lot will thin your oil. Your Aero will have a vacuum fuel shutoff (look for a small second hose to the front of the valve) but FYI there was a recall on those and be sure yours was replaced - Honda should know since they track retrofits by VIN.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
What's the mileage on the bike and when was the last time you rode it prior to the backfire incident?
What do the plugs look like?

How strong is your battery?

This something that has happened, once, occasionally, or often?

Cold start? Hot start? Warm start?

INFO INFO INFO

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
backfire

I had just finished my ride and I shut it down to clean it up. When I started it up again I heard a backfire. I shut it down for a minute and restarted it again and another backfire. I started it up today with no trouble and no backfire. After a fifty mile ride I shut it down and restarted it several times with no backfire. I think it may be ok. The bike is an 07 with 16000 miles. It has the original battery and original plugs. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.