Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get backfireing on both acceleration and deceleration only in the rear cylinder at at only between 1800 and 2000 rpm. Checked for exhaust leaks Proper jetting electrical malfunctions fuel pump and delivery problems. Any Ideas what this could be?

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I get backfireing on both acceleration and deceleration only in the rear cylinder at at only between 1800 and 2000 rpm. Checked for exhaust leaks Proper jetting electrical malfunctions fuel pump and delivery problems. Any Ideas what this could be?
Discount exhaust leaks, jetting, and fuel pump to start.
If I were you, I'd pull the plug and check appearance. Either clean and reinstall or replace. See if that fixes it first. I'm sure others will have other thoughts. But start simple. It's almost always the simple stuff. Check that first. Next, look at the wire to the plug. Work your way back from there, one thing at a time.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

You did not say what year/model but I'll guess anyway. Karnak sees a carbed bike with two carbs. One is running rich and needs a jet or float in need of adjustment. That said, both carbs I see in my crystal ball come off as a unit so both should be cleaned and adjusted. You may now kiss the turban.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All four plugs are light tan. Air mixture is three turns out (It has Cobra Pipes and a jet Kit). I have not readjusted the float levels. Could the rear be set too low? The rear is the only cylinder that POPs at 1800-2000rpm on boyh accel and decel. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
All four plugs are light tan. Air mixture is three turns out (It has Cobra Pipes and a jet Kit).
My guess would be that something is causing your rear cyl to run lean, but since your plugs look good it's gotta be intermittent-- or if only at those rpms it's in that carb most likely, but I'm too new to Hondas. Anything else I might say wouldn't necessarily be helpful. Good luck. Wish I were more help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts