Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't generally do highways, not for fear, at least fear of them ( well me anyway..Linda perhaps a bit more ) but more of fear of boredom. To be fair you can get in some good scenery on 93 north, and yes I admit it, I do have a bad vibe about I 89 despite it's picturesque ride, but apart from those well sqauresville, at least from what I have seen.

93 south? Through Concord, on into Boston its a snore fest , unless it is rush hour then it is a blood fest. Same for all the offshoots, re-routes and alt-routes through cities. Maine's I 95 north is the widkerness of concrete monotony mile after mile of mind numbing boring " smack me with a hammer so I can feel something" non scenery.

It's the back roads that have the small towns, the kind where one minute you are out for a Sunday drive and the next minute you are smack dab in the middle of a local festival., How many home made apple pie stands does one see on the super slab? I probably said it before, but there is nothing like coming over the crest of the road and discovering a little lake you never knew existed.

I am starting to branch out more into other states then I have before. I have learned to do this just as enthusiastically in the car as the bike, but usually to do some advanced scouting on roads I have never been on before, yet each time, whether by car or bike we take slightly different routes, doing many different branches of the same route and always finding a good mix of the familiar and the new.

The interstate is for making time, back roads are for enjoying the trip, no matter where it takes you. I certainly ain't going to tell you how to ride your ride, but if you have been blowing past the back roads ( or even blowing through them) I ask you to consider taking the slower route, yes it may cost you a few hours more by slowing down and experiencing even briefly what is around you. Your gas mileage may suffer slightly, but what you take away will be far more valuable to you in the long run..trust me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Could not agree more CD! I used to ride all the back roads in NH and Maine and Vermont when I lived up there. You are so right about coming upon a festival or an orchard/farm with some home made pies and cider all of the experiences you would never get on the super slabs. All of the old mill towns with rivers running through center of them and great mom and pop restaurants and shops. Or along the seacoast for great seafood festival and eats or a fair. Miss it up there and that is where I learned to do the same thing everywhere I have lived around the country since. If you get away from the bigger towns that all look the same in every part of the country with all the same box stores and same fast food places and just crap, there is so much to see and experience off the beaten path!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i usually stick to the backroads. i hate the superslabs. they are so boring and hot cause there is no shade anywhere.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interstates are for utlilitarian purposes for motorcycles. I only tke them when I want to get somewhere quick. 2 lane roads always have more to offer a motorcycle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Completely agree.

I'm new to any sort of riding that isn't around town commuting, but I rode my new baby 2 hours down I-35 to get it home after I purchased and I did another hour and a half stint down I-10 last weekend for the speed (my wife's butt was getting tired and it was getting too hot).

So far I enjoy the backroads so much more. More to see, slower roads means more time to stop and look, better twisties to navigate, and less wind to batter at me and leave me feeling numb. I tend to take interstates in the car, but that's also because I'm usually trying to get somewhere. On vacations though I wander all over the place (took a bunch of backroads on my Florida trip, saw some great edge of the Everglades scenery).

I ride for fun, even on my daily commute, because I never want to dislike riding the way I do driving.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
CD, have you ever driven on the Hurricane Mt Rd. I have been on this road several times over the many years I lived in Maine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I love the backroads. Always running them up through the mountains here. I have learned more little small towns and where they are at then I ever even imagined. You don't get that smell of BBQ whafting out after you when you are on the highway. I've found lots of good BBQ joints riding backroads.

I do have to commute on the highway to work, which really stinks. However, there isn't much time to look for scenary as you are just trying to not get plowed as they are 6-7 lanes on each side here.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
CrazyDave I couldn't have said it any better. You are right on the money. For me personally I'll even go so far as to say I have a slight fear of the highway. I was sideswiped on a highway many years ago, and I never quite got over that. At highway speeds things can happen in a heatbeat, and the consequences can be far worse. I much prefer a slower ride on a two-lane road.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
We don't generally do highways, not for fear, at least fear of them ( well me anyway..Linda perhaps a bit more ) but more of fear of boredom. .
It's always only the ride. :D Nothing more to it, is there?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Couldn't agree more.

Happy Trails!
sanoke

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Hmm, I must be the lone dissenter... maybe because there's not that much traffic on Northern Nevada highways, but I personally enjoy the highways here. I can head west or east on I-80, open her up, relax and let my mind wander while I have 75 miles an hour of wind in my face. No stupid windshield, visor up on the helmet..... Hit the throttle lock and go. It's about the ride... AND the destination to me. The open high desert is a thing of beauty to me, I can enjoy the view, feel the breeze, nod at the dogs riding in the back of the trucks..... my idea of fun!

·
Registered
53 Posts
GMCK, I live in Bethel and I can't believe I came on here and first saw a pic of Screw Auger falls and then you mention the Hurricane Mtn Road. Both are local to me and even most people who live here have never heard of the Hurricane Mtn Rd. It is incredibly steep and windy, and even a bit scary in a car. CD, you should ride it sometime.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also prefer the back roads and meandering byways while out on my bike. I will take a freeway/highway to hurry to get to a particular destination but I am on the super-defensive because of all the idiot cagers who don't bother to look where the are going; I have had two near-misses while driving thru Portland (Oregon) getting cut-off and don't even like to ride the bike around town unless I am heading thru to go out of town because the crazy drivers. I tend to relax more on the open road and enjoy the scenery and the smells all around (although I do hold my breath while passing roadkill, lol).

·
Registered
309 Posts
C.d. Right on i don't like highways in a car only for long hauls when time is a factor ,the kagamangus highway thru n.h is one of the best rides i can remember, it's about the ride like you said seeing new things and meeting new people

1 - 16 of 16 Posts