Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yz14s battery from gsyuasa. If I crank the bike more than three times the battery just goes flop. It's supposedly a new battery I got from dealer and paid $200 for it. They said it's the best one they have in 14 amp for my 83vt750. But seems like I should get more than three cranks out of it which is needed on a cold day especially if it stalls first thing. Opinions on battery or maybe the starter is drawing too many amps??

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
After you purchased the battery, did you charge it properly?

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes and I keep it on a maintainer but still only get 2 or three solid cranks out of it

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
MOM suggests what? 5 seconds maximum time to run the starter motor, I THINK I read???

After several 5 second intervals the battery will weaken...
IF you`re running the starter for more than that, then YES it`ll drain it...

It won`t hurt to double check Clean & Tight connections at both ends of all starter connections though...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Never mind the tender..or the battery ..do you know how to check the charging circuit and do you own a digital multimeter?

John.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tested and replaced both stator and R/R. Once she's warned up and running everything is fine but after an overnight if she dosent start by the 4th try I'm toast

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Jump the bike off your car/truck and see if it starts. If it does, you may want to get your battery tested. New batteries can be bad. It could be something drawing too many amp but there would probably be other symptoms.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I jump it it cranks right up. Which is why I'm wondering if the starter causes excessive drain or the battery itself just can't handle the load

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
That would indicate the battery's lousy. The opposite of winning a jackpot lottery I suppose.

.... or maybe the starter is drawing too many amps??
The starter motor draws 70amps maybe 100amps and that's actually normal. That's why the big wire to the starter motor doesn't have a fuse. That's also the reason you shouldn't keep cranking it non-stop. Try feel for yourself how hot the starter wire gets.

[edit]
.... or the battery itself just can't handle the load
it may be worn brushes. Old bike.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
If your new battery has flat poles that are flush with the surface of the battery and screw on adaptors that attach to the cables that means that you have two connections to each battery wire instead of one.. if any one of these connections is not fitted tight enough it creates resistance and causes loss of power and overheating..

John.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
$200 for a battery???
I thought just under $100 was expensive!!!!

I`d be talking to the battery vendor about WARRANTY...

At least have the vendor check it...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
How many amp output your battery tender?

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,240 Posts
it may be worn brushes. Old bike.
Good to throw that out there. Very possibly true. Bad brushes means more power required to spin starter = faster battery drain. Also a higher amp threshold to get starter spinning.

It might not be the case here but it is certainly something to consider. If the battery passes a load test and all connections are clean and tight then it's probably where I'd go next.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So I finally took my battery to get tested at the place that I bought it. Big St. Charles motorsports in St. Charles County Missouri. On 1-22-2014. Would you believe they charge me a whopping $200 and I paid it because I believe them when they told me this was the best battery available. Anyone who follows my threads knows it's given me nothing but trouble and I blamed it on my 83 shadow. Despite keeping it on maintainer at all times when not riding. I took it back to big St. Charles motorsports in St. Charles County Missouri and they confirmed it is in fact a bad battery. The best part is they won't cover it under warranty because they can't find it in the computer… They can't find it on your computer because whoever rang me out when I bought it on 1-22-2014 rang me out under cash account instead of under my name. They say there's nothing they can do except sell me a new battery.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
So I finally took my battery to get tested at the place that I bought it. Big St. Charles motorsports in St. Charles County Missouri. On 1-22-2014. Would you believe they charge me a whopping $200 and I paid it because I believe them when they told me this was the best battery available. Anyone who follows my threads knows it's given me nothing but trouble and I blamed it on my 83 shadow. Despite keeping it on maintainer at all times when not riding. I took it back to big St. Charles motorsports in St. Charles County Missouri and they confirmed it is in fact a bad battery. The best part is they won't cover it under warranty because they can't find it in the computer… They can't find it on your computer because whoever rang me out when I bought it on 1-22-2014 rang me out under cash account instead of under my name. They say there's nothing they can do except sell me a new battery.
I hope you boogied out of there without buying another battery from them. Unless that battery is a lithium ion battery, you got taken for a ride. By the way if you still believe them, I have bridge to sell you.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope you boogied out of there without buying another battery from them. Unless that battery is a lithium ion battery, you got taken for a ride. By the way if you still believe them, I have bridge to sell you.

I did leave I just smiled so thank you for your time and walked out no it is not a lithium-ion battery and I agree I got taken for a ride. it is a YUASA OR GSYUASA battery model YTZ14S that offers 230cca.

The problem is it only cranks two times for about 3 to 4 seconds and then nothing.

Part of the reason I took the bait when they hooked me was because this is a very well-known and respected Harley and motorsports dealer in all of St. Charles County probably the biggest. Instead of throwing a fit I got on their website and wrote an email within five minutes I had a service manager on the phone who said he would look into it and get back with me he sounds sincere so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bummer...terrible, terrible customer service! Really hoping the service manager lives up to his title for you!

If not and you have to buy a battery, I just bought a Z14S from here for $93 (with core); not sure if there's a store near you but if so, I've become a fan of both the store and the battery.

My local big name motorcycle dealer wanted $215 for the same battery because it was "genuine Yuasa". Yeah...riiiiight...

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
There are some fake Yuasa batteries out there. There were a bunch sold on ebay. They take a cheapo battery and put Yuasa decals on it and box it in a factory box. Maybe you got a fake one??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts