Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was out with a bud and a car pulled out about 30 feet in front of him, he locked his breaks up and skidded into the car's bumper but Somehow he managed to not lay the bike down. So i cought up to them at a stoplight and banged on the passenger side window and scared the guys wife to death they pulled over and were really apologetic, my friend was more concerned about his bike and that he wasn't hurt he got the's guys info.

We sat down and had a couple of cold drinks to calm his nerves a bit afterwards and it was about this time we realized He had just put his gremlin bell on his bike maybe 15 min's before... i died laughing at that. Aftermath, the dealer suggested a new tire to be safe but the rim/forks and everything else checked out.

So i get a text about two hours after this and Another one of the group fish tailed and trashed his bike and some cuts and bruises (don't know the details) his first time going down in 5 years it seems.

I was halfway expecting my bike to fall on me as i was putting the cover on it at the end of the day :p

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
We have found that cagers pulling out seems to not be an issue now that we are running big ass (3-1/2 and 4 inch diameter) running lights. Hi beam wig wagging them also makes an impression and is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
glad y'all made it out alright. it's a crazy world.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Full moon last night. Glad you're okay.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Full moon last night. Glad you're okay.
Yea so am I It spooked the Frak out of me 40mph to rear ending a car, I had enough time to Think Don't pull out Dont OH #[email protected]%!!!... wow how did he not splatter himself on the back of that car... to OMG IM GONA PULL THEM HEAD FIRST THROUGH THE WINDSHIELD...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm confused. From what you said, your buddy hit the rear bumper of the car with his front tire. but the driver didn't notice anything until you banged on the window at the next stoplight?

You would think they would of felt something when the bike hit the bumper. Then again, I've seen many people ignore the entire world when they get behind the wheel.

Gypsyjuggler

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yikes...sounds like it's time for a break. Your buddy is so lucky. I can't stand people that pull out in front of you....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm confused. From what you said, your buddy hit the rear bumper of the car with his front tire. but the driver didn't notice anything until you banged on the window at the next stoplight?

You would think they would of felt something when the bike hit the bumper. Then again, I've seen many people ignore the entire world when they get behind the wheel.

Gypsyjuggler
that's about right, there was another car honking and yelling at them and me banging on the window on the other side of the car, the guy driving was well into his 70's with disabled tags >,> I can't say for sure if he didn't notice or what..

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally Posted by gmck
From where I come from running into someones rear bumper makes you at fault.

Not after failing to yield the right of way.
Exactly, so i was talking to my friend yesterday and he was saying that his new gremlin bell saved him and was in fact working so well all the gremlins jumped onto the other guys bike causing him to wreck heh. Just as long as it's not my bike :shock:

·
Registered
109 Posts
that's about right, there was another car honking and yelling at them and me banging on the window on the other side of the car, the guy driving was well into his 70's with disabled tags >,> I can't say for sure if he didn't notice or what..
I can believe that. Long time ago I was in line at the DMV getting my tags renewed and that was a man in his 70-80's in with his daughter to get his license renewed. What they went through on the eye exam was amazing. Anyone else would probably been failed on this.

"Dad, can you see the flashing light on the side?"
"Dad, can you see the light flashing to your right?"
::repeat last question a few times before he nods yes::
"OK, you pass, here is your license."

I was afraid to go into the parking lot after that.

Gypsyjuggler

·
Registered
71 Posts
:-D
I can believe that. Long time ago I was in line at the DMV getting my tags renewed and that was a man in his 70-80's in with his daughter to get his license renewed. What they went through on the eye exam was amazing. Anyone else would probably been failed on this.

"Dad, can you see the flashing light on the side?"
"Dad, can you see the light flashing to your right?"
::repeat last question a few times before he nods yes::
"OK, you pass, here is your license."

I was afraid to go into the parking lot after that.

Gypsyjuggler

I saw something like that not to long ago. After 3 years of renewing the temps, I am getting the M:-D put on my license and at the eye exam is a 80 something year old woman that had to led to the machine. It took them about 10 minutes of explaining the machine before she could understand what to do!! They passed her of course (the state doesnt get money if they dont sell a license). As soon as my license was laminated I was gone before she got to her car. From the scene in the BMV I could tell she had no busness driving. Just think how many more are on the roads.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sat down with my friend last night over some beers and was asking about what the dealer said. Charles (our local tech) looked his bike over he "thinks" he has a bald spot on his tire from skidding Yes he actually did the quotation marks when he said i think, So he handed my friend a quote for a new tire + 90 in labor for mounting it and balancing so on and so forth ($450) and suggested that he send it to the guy who hit him. So he talked to the guy and he's going to send a check to cover it.

So we were sitting there last night trying to decide what mod he's should spend it on... all's well that doesn't end with a rider going through someone's rear window.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Glad to hear he was ok,

one reason why I slow down if I see a car waiting to pull out. If I have to jam the brakes slower speed not as risky locking the brakes with a down shift also.
Last week in daylight was riding down a street I take all the time. I saw this car inch out from an apt. complex which I know when trying to make a left there is trouble seeing due to trees and a bend. You have to stick your nose out and hope. I knew exactly what was going to happen and sure enough by the time she saw me I was maybe 10-15 mph. she did a head jerk like omg where did you come from. I waved at her and continued after she made her left.

I was taught always think every car is out to get you. Drive to get where your going and anticipate what that everyone else wants to crash you.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to hear he was ok,

one reason why I slow down if I see a car waiting to pull out. If I have to jam the brakes slower speed not as risky locking the brakes with a down shift also.
Last week in daylight was riding down a street I take all the time. I saw this car inch out from an apt. complex which I know when trying to make a left there is trouble seeing due to trees and a bend. You have to stick your nose out and hope. I knew exactly what was going to happen and sure enough by the time she saw me I was maybe 10-15 mph. she did a head jerk like omg where did you come from. I waved at her and continued after she made her left.

I was taught always think every car is out to get you. Drive to get where your going and anticipate what that everyone else wants to crash you.
your 100% right about that, I learned a long time ago that people will do stupid things like pulling uturns from the right lane no blinkers and running red lights I try to pay attention to other drivers when im in the car but my head is on a swivel when im on the bike and so far it's saved me from a number of close calls from people running red lights and cutting me off.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
your 100% right about that, I learned a long time ago that people will do stupid things like pulling uturns from the right lane no blinkers and running red lights I try to pay attention to other drivers when im in the car but my head is on a swivel when im on the bike and so far it's saved me from a number of close calls from people running red lights and cutting me off.
Aw, heck...I just scream like a little girl, twist the throttle and start weaving and blowing my Stebel air horn...

You do that, THEY get the helloutta your way!!!:twisted::twisted::twisted:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.