Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43728&sid=c7cfda23a3aa13b7afff713aa0194c6d

Well I decided to return to the gas station where we filled up and sure enough, I filled up our tanks with Diesel.

The pump had seperate diesel and unleaded nozzles. The diesel nozzle is on the far left and the unleaded gas is on the far right. I remember that I was having problems swiping my card and that got me distracted. Of course I don't usually use Shell and am used to seeing dedicated islands for the diesel fuel pumps.

While this was a truly expensive lesson, I have to hold some sort of record by breaking down calling a tow truck, using a shop service and getting back on the road within 3 hours....on Easter Sunday! :D

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It was certainly big of you to fess up. Look on the bright side, maybe someone reading this will take a moment and double check that they are using the correct pump because of you. It was an expensive lesson for you but sharing it with us may save someone here a bunch of time and money.

Thanks!

sanoke

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Maybe it was that post about the diesel bike that was posted a while ago. And your subconsciouses said....HEY...if they can do it...so can I.

:D

Just messing with you.

I am glad that you got it figured out...and that sucks it was your fault. But...now you have a lesson learned from it. Your bike doesn't run on diesel. :D

Joe

·
Registered
145 Posts
.......and I bet you'll never make this mistake again

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
hunnus2000 said:
Well I decided to return to the gas station where we filled up and sure enough, I filled up our tanks with Diesel.
Can it be said that the diesel dispenser will always be color coded in green? It seems that's what I see, but I don't know if it's an industry standard designation for diesel. If so, perhaps that's our visual cue -- if green, don't pump.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sanoke said:
It was certainly big of you to fess up. Look on the bright side, maybe someone reading this will take a moment and double check that they are using the correct pump because of you. It was an expensive lesson for you but sharing it with us may save someone here a bunch of time and money.

Thanks!

sanoke
Ain't no big thing except for being a little poorer today. And even though I'm not the religous type, I do believe that things happen for a reason.

The story itself is really kind of neat and we now have a towing service/shop that we can trust.

And I have a lovely wife that truly enjoys riding her own.

Man....life is OK!

·
Registered
628 Posts
hunnus,

Perhaps there's a way you could recoup some of your loss. You could mandate that everyone on this board who reaches for the green nozzle, but then pulls back because they remember your story, sends you a dollar.

Just a thought. -Jay

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I can see how someone could mix up gasoline and diesel, the new ultra low sulfur diesel is as clear as water. Off highway diesel has dye added. I don’t think the diesel odor is as strong as it used to be.
At the place where I buy diesel, there are three pumps, highway diesel, off highway diesel, and gasoline. No color code on the pumps, so you gotta read.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
hunnus2000 said:
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43728&sid=c7cfda23a3aa13b7afff713aa0194c6d

The pump had seperate diesel and unleaded nozzles. The diesel nozzle is on the far left and the unleaded gas is on the far right. I remember that I was having problems swiping my card and that got me distracted. Of course I don't usually use Shell and am used to seeing dedicated islands for the diesel fuel pumps.

While this was a truly expensive lesson, I have to hold some sort of record by breaking down calling a tow truck, using a shop service and getting back on the road within 3 hours....on Easter Sunday! :D
Well that was a big error but it appears you handled it quite well, I personally have never pumped that stuff in the wrong tank but OH so close, opened the the SUV gas cap reached up and grab a nozzle then was putting the card in the slot when something caught my eye, Oh, Oh that nozzle is green, Whoa big fellow, stopped there and switched to the right one, concentrate and don't get distracted, but she was awfully cute :roll:

·
Registered
94 Posts
The town that I live in is in one of the favourite boating/ cruising areas on the west coast. A number of years ago a beautiful big yacht pulled into one of our many marine fuel docks and told the pump jocky to top up the diesel tanks. Well about 1000 gals. later they discouver he had topped up there potable water tanks by mistake. Don't think said pump jocky works there anymore.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I wonder how it even fit the tank fill hole,
not only is diesel green, but the nozzle is a different size so it can't fit into a standard car fill hole....oh, wait, that is CAR hole, not bike... :shock:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Are you sure it was deisel fuel and not just the crappy fuel Shell sells? The Shell stations around here suck... you can run thier gas, then another brand and you can actually feel and hear the bike running better...

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
callmeal said:
I can see how someone could mix up gasoline and diesel, the new ultra low sulfur diesel is as clear as water. Off highway diesel has dye added. I don’t think the diesel odor is as strong as it used to be.
At the place where I buy diesel, there are three pumps, highway diesel, off highway diesel, and gasoline. No color code on the pumps, so you gotta read.
You hit the nail right on the head!

The pump alluded to low sulfur and the diesel gas barely had any smell to it. My brother owns his own trucking company and even he had trouble recognizing the diesel smell as it really didn't have a strong odor. That's why I thought I had water in the gas.

Also, when I think back, I was too distracted because I had to swipe my card 4 times until the unit recognized it and now that I think about it, I have tried to put diesel in our car but because of the over-sized nozzle, I was able to catch my mistake.

:roll:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Xodus said:
The Shell stations around here suck... you can run thier gas, then another brand and you can actually feel and hear the bike running better...
You should report them if it is that bad. They all have EPA and regional regulations to comply with.

Delaware Department of Transportation - Media Gallery
If you suspect the problem is a result of poor quality gasoline contact the Delaware Motor Fuel Tax Administration (MFTA) office at (302)744-2715 and notify ...
www.deldot.gov/static/news/ethanol/index.shtml

http://www.google.com/search?q=gaso...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have friends that have put diesel in work vehicles. He was only 15 at the time but it's still funny. I have only once almost put diesel in my car. I picked up the handle and noticed it was green and knew I needed to double check.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.