Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 750 spirit was puchased used in 2006 with 7,000kms. It had new tires at the time of puchase. When riding on smooth road surfaces the bike developes a rythmic hop. That is, its a smooth ride for aprox 50 meters then the bike hops for a few meters, then its smooth again etc. etc. I've had the bike checked out at the shop that gave it it's safety certificate and they could find nothing wrong althought they agreed with my complaint and tried installing another set of new tires. What could be the problem???? The wheels have been balanced and according to the shop are within spec for roundness.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'd be checking for "rusted tight spots" on the chain. Does it sit outside? Changed the chain/sprockets lately???? Might be mis-aligned even though the marks "line-up" on the swing arm ????? Check the pinch bolts on the axle...thye tight/loose??

I'm more inclined to think the chain is toast.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I've had the bike checked out at the shop that gave it it's safety certificate and they could find nothing wrong althought they agreed with my complaint.....
Yet they still certified the safety of the bike - pretty damn safe as long as they are not the ones riding it.........it must be the road???

Bent rim(s), worn front or rear wheel bearings, fork misalignment, fork oil low, swing arm misalignment, rear wheel misalignment.

Does it do the hop with the clutch pulled in or coasting in neutral?

The fact that it had new tires on it with only about <4k miles leads me to believe there may have been some problem from the get-go - or it was involved in an accident (like clipping a curb accident that blows two tires).

·
Registered
865 Posts
My Spirit has done the same thing since the day I brought it home with zero miles on it. Just a rythmic little hop that feels to me like it's mostly in the front end. So since mine's new I guess that would rule out a bad chain. I've read a lot of complaints about the Dunlops that come stock on the Spirits, and I tend to think that is my problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
wheel hop

check 4 truing & out of round, preferably w/ a dial indicator. I think Honda specifies .006-.008 on both measurements & it does make all the difference. also check ur air presure & even experiment w/ the pressure. even a couple of lbs makes 4 a lot of difference.LOL jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopping

Yes my 06 spirit with 1400 miles on it does the same thing and mine has bridgestone tires on it. Infact that was the first thing that i noticed when i got the bike it sure doesnt ride like my magna did.

Keep the shiny side up and ride safe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts