Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my bike a couple weeks ago, and after my last fuel fill, I decided I wanted to find out how far I could go on my primary tank, before needing to switch to reserve - seemed like good information to know.

Last night, I'm driving home around 1am, and the engine just dies - I figure I've emptied the primary tank. I flip the petcock to reserve, and try to start it up - no dice. Tried flipping it back and forth, rocking the bike, etc, but nothing seemed to make a difference.

The odometer was sitting at almost 169 miles - does that seem right for a full fill on an 1100 Spirit?

How can I determine if my petcock is not working properly, outside of what happened last night? Is there any way to confirm?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
either you had it on reserve already... or the reserve stem has broken off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It definitely wasn't on reserve - I confirmed that at fill, and as the miles were racking up on the tank.

I'm not sure whether to think the reserve setting is broken, or if the ON setting drained the entire tank. Would 169 miles generally constitute a full tank, or just the primary tank?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If you rocked the bike back and forth and didn't hear any gas sloshing around then you were out of gas. 169 miles. Can't make that call as it depends on how you ride as to what fuel range you'll get. I'm sure it could be a problem in the tank but it's much more likely that you had it on reserve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stupidly, I didn't really pay attention to the sound - I was too busy being pissed off, lol.

I'm positive it wasn't on reserve already.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Then time to test it. Put in a gallon of gas and pull the fuel line so it dumps into the gas can. Turn on gas and when it stops switch to reserve and see if the flow restarts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then time to test it. Put in a gallon of gas and pull the fuel line so it dumps into the gas can. Turn on gas and when it stops switch to reserve and see if the flow restarts.
Is that fairly straightforward to do? I would assume so, but I haven't delved into bike maintenance stuff yet...

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
I can think of 2 things that can be wrong. 1 is that the petcock tube for the normal postion is gone or cut down and 2 you misidentified the positions of the petcock-normal is straight down-off is in middle and reserve is pointing up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can think of 2 things that can be wrong. 1 is that the petcock tube for the normal postion is gone or cut down and 2 you misidentified the positions of the petcock-normal is straight down-off is in middle and reserve is pointing up.
The petcock was definitely pointed down. Is there any way to get a look at the tubes?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Sure, drain the tank and unscrew the petcock. The tube will stick into the tank and be covered with a mesh screen. If this screen is clogged, that is your problem.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
It's possible. He said the tank was dented by a ladder this spring, so it was replaced - I have an email out to him asking if he knows anything about this...
Try the middle position... see if the reserve kicks in.

If not you may be pulling the tank to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.