Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a nice 2001 Honda Shadow VT-750 back on the road for my daughter-in-law. It runs very nicely BUT I HATE this one thing: Shifting UP is ergonomically BAD. The bike has floorboards and the shifter is stock, riding a couple inches above the floorboard. Shifting requires a conscious LEG motion AND starts hurting your toe due to the bad angle. It makes riding the bike NOT fun. I presume this bike had foot pegs originally - maybe the shifting worked without it being a physical distraction. with that set up. Anyone dealt with this or have a solution. ? Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
298 Posts
I have got a nice 2001 Honda Shadow VT-750 back on the road for my daughter-in-law. It runs very nicely BUT I HATE this one thing: Shifting UP is ergonomically BAD. The bike has floorboards and the shifter is stock, riding a couple inches above the floorboard. Shifting requires a conscious LEG motion AND starts hurting your toe due to the bad angle. It makes riding the bike NOT fun. I presume this bike had foot pegs originally - maybe the shifting worked without it being a physical distraction. with that set up. Anyone dealt with this or have a solution. ? Thanks.
Switch back to pegs or adjust the linkage to give you more clearance. I had to adjust my linkage due to riding with my steel toe boots. I loosened #31 and moved it 1 or 2 splines giving me clearance for the big toes.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
or jut loosen the locknuts and turn #14 shift linkage rod to adjust. ithas left hand threads at one end so just loosen the lock nuts and turn the rod
. If it won't go high enough, you may need to move the lever one spline.

When pulling the cover over the sprocket to get to it, be sure to pull the hairpin clip at the top as well as the retaining bolt n the lower rear, then slide it off at the top carefully. That tab the locating pin goes through can break if you force it.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,733 Posts
How much trouble is it to add the heal shifter to it? I have seen them but I'm not sure of the installation details. You just tap down with your heal to upshift on those and downshift normal.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
298 Posts
I believe bolt #31 has to be REMOVED, not just loosened, before the clevis will slide off the splined shaft.
jmo,
Yes it does, thanks for the correction. (y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
All that should be necessary is to adjust the ends of the shaft to the shift pedal, which can be used to raise or lower the pedal, making it easier to shift. I had to make adjustments when I installed the Lightning forward control kit, to raise the shift pedal up, but it was easy. I had to try a couple times, to know which way to turn would move it forward and which moved it back, but it just took some trying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts