Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Does in any way (besides increasing the noise) improve the performance of the bike the removal of the baffles? ( VT1100C- 2007):unsure:
I did wrap the tubbing with fiberglass heat wrapping
The exhaust are the originals.
Thanks in advance for the opinions.(y)
P.B.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
not enough to matter. imnsho

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,888 Posts
Removing baffles adds so much power, you will rip down the street with a big grin.
Then after a while realize it just sounds stronger, but has about the same HP as before.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
And the stock pipes sound terrible de-baffled. Buy some aftermarket instead of cutting up your stock pipes.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,746 Posts
And the stock pipes sound terrible de-baffled. Buy some aftermarket instead of cutting up your stock pipes.
In agreement but spending more $$$ to sound even worse with a aftermarket?

To OP, the "twin pin" motor design of VT1100's do not emit a pleasant sound w/o stock exhaust. Sounds like a angry bumble bee @ higher rpms., but if you have $400+ and tuning skills to do the aftermarket swap, go for it. I had a gentleman years ago give me a set of Cobra Lowboys because they sounded so badly. I thought about it but I passed them on to another member. I really liked the stock rumble w/o developing tinnitus earlier than I already have. ;)

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
263 Posts
Well, the fiberglass will ruin the chrome and make your stockers about worthless for resale so if it were me id cut the pipes at the muffler get some straight pipes to clamp to the headers (cut them long- at least rear axel- save your ears) then play with universal aftermarket baffles untill you get the sound you want...then begin the task of rejetting your carbs to match your custom pipes.
A lot of work for a motor that will always sound more like a hi reving lawn tractor than a harley.
Been there done that.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
In agreement but spending more $$$ to sound even worse with a aftermarket?

To OP, the "twin pin" motor design of VT1100's do not emit a pleasant sound w/o stock exhaust. Sounds like a angry bumble bee @ higher rpms., but if you have $400+ and tuning skills to do the aftermarket swap, go for it. I had a gentleman years ago give me a set of Cobra Lowboys because they sounded so badly. I thought about it but I passed them on to another member. I really liked the stock rumble w/o developing tinnitus earlier than I already have. ;)
Well sure, then he can re-install the original and sell the aftermarket pipes to the next guy,,, Edit: the lessons you pay for are better learned.

Edit Edit: In my opinion, some of the aftermarket pipes don't make any extra horsepower. Their ads may say stuff about faster acceleration, quicker ET times, etc. They can be very careful to NOT mention any HP gain. I suspect their claims are based on the fact that their systems weight quite a bit less than the stock systems, thus allowing quicker acceleration etc. The old hotrod rule still applies: there are 2 ways to go faster, more HP or less weight.

That said, a friend bolted an Akropovic system on his ZRX1200R and showed a decent HP gain, he'd had it dyno'd before and after. cant remember numbers but it was around 10-15HP iirc. (on a bike that was already faster than it should be. )

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,326 Posts
I've got the cobra slash cuts on my 1100 and I think it sounds good, especially at lower speeds. I'm sure it's annoying to others at the highway speeds. I bought it this way so I'm not messing with it. I think it is all personal preference.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
2,128 Posts
Heh, a couple of years ago when I was looking at buying a KTM 750 Duke, a place found that bolting on the Akropovic aftermarket exhaust actually LOST power and torque! 😳

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question: Does in any way (besides increasing the noise) improve the performance of the bike the removal of the baffles? ( VT1100C- 2007):unsure:
I did wrap the tubbing with fiberglass heat wrapping
The exhaust are the originals.
Thanks in advance for the opinions.(y)
P.B.
without re-jetting your carbs to maintain the propper air/fuel mixture you will, if anything lose performance. Whenever you modify the exhaust or intake to have less restriction you have to increase fuel delivery in corresponding amounts to the intake/exhaust modification to keep the proper air fuel ratio. Otherwise you will have lean condition and, aside from poor performance, risk burned valves and pistons. If the proper carb jet/tune is done on any internal combustion eng. increasing air into eng. through less restrictive air filter, breather box mods or velocity stacks and less restrictive exhaust like no baffles or no mufflers will only give you more power if you add the additional fuel that the engine is capable of burning because of the other mods. Note: the increased power will be at the upper end (high rpms) with less low end to midrange power than factory specs. If you're doing because you like the sound or the volume... DO IT! To see any difference in performance either ride it like your mad at it or be prepared to take a little longer to overtake slower moving hi-way traffic and a lot slower acceleration with a passenger. That being said, i like loud pipes, loud music... My shadow has stock ex. with mufflers cut off. My truck has dual 2 1/2 pipes no mufflers or catalytic conv. My car has headers and about 4' of pipes exiting out the sides about under the door latches. Alabama does not have anual or any vehicle inspection

1 - 11 of 11 Posts