Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really got find some new people to ride with... they are never on time, and only want to ride for 10 minutes at a time...

Ride 10 miles, stop for a drink... an hour later, ride 10 miles stop for another drink... 45 minutes later, ride 10 miles and stop for a drink... anybody else seeing a pattern here?

and no, I don't drink while I'm riding... I just get a coke sit around for an hour, and then ride a good bit behind them, incase anything goes wrong... :roll:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Re: BAHH!!!!

Xodus said:
I really got find some new people to ride with... they are never on time, and only want to ride for 10 minutes at a time...

Ride 10 miles, stop for a drink... an hour later, ride 10 miles stop for another drink... 45 minutes later, ride 10 miles and stop for a drink... anybody else seeing a pattern here?

and no, I don't drink while I'm riding... I just get a coke sit around for an hour, and then ride a good bit behind them, incase anything goes wrong... :roll:
I rode with a group like that years ago. It was more fun riding by myself than hitting every watering hole in the county. I ended up riding with a co-worker who had a sport bike. We used to have A LOT of fun riding the twisties. He would tell me that I kept it fast enough to keep him interested...but not bore him by going granny slow. And I liked riding with him because I never had to worry about running off and leaving him.

My advice...look for someone who has similar tastes in riding styles...and don't be afraid to jump across the style boundaries.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you like the guys your riding with, maybe suggest riding to a destination for a lunch. There are several guys that I ride with and it's nothing for us to ride 50-100 miles and grab lunch, or even a late breakfast. It gives us an enjoyable ride and we get food! However, we don't drink and ride. Being in the south, we drink sweet tea with our lunch. Maybe riding a longer distance would limit their drinking intake? That I don't know. It may be that you just have to find new riding buds that like to ride to ride, not ride to look cool at the watering hole. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Me and a buddy just rode 60 miles for a cup of coffee!
I hear ya......been around people like that and all they do is ride from bar to bar. I don't like that at all. We usually set a time for breakfast at a little local diner. We have breakfast and coffee and someone will always have a map with them. We sit there and decide over coffee where we are riding to. Each week a person gets a turn on deciding where we go, then that person gets to lead the pack. Everyone always tries to come up with some place unique and different for each week. This makes for some cool rides. Oh, and be prepared to go anywhere from 100 miles to 300 miles and do it in one day!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I would never want to ride with people like that.

I've been lucky with the people I ride with from this forum or other riding groups I belong too, they have been more about the ride.

We do stop at as many Tim Horton's as we can though :wink: :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Been there and done that. Dump the boozer pozers and either ride your own ride or find someone who you are more campatable with. I found a neighbor down here that belonged to a riding club and ran into the same thing. Everyone was into the restaurant stops and potty stops etc but not so much bar stops. The only thing was that we never got anywhere so I quit the group as did my neighbor and between him and I and my wife we run 300 mile days with a coffee stop or maybe two but we ride.
Jeff

·
Registered
622 Posts
My riding buddy Jack and I rode today. We usually meet for breakfast or lunch and then ride until one of us needs gas. Since he rides a Wing that means when I need gas! We did 90 miles after lunch before stopping,

Bruce

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are alot of people who like to ride and drink. I have a few friends who are among that group. I'm not wise enough to judge them but I can decide if I want to ride with them or not. I can also question their decision to mix drinking with a potentially dangerous activity.

For myself drinking/riding/driving will not happen during the same time frame.

Benny

·
Registered
375 Posts
That would suck .
We had A good ride today .
Not sure how far you are from us ?
But you can join us .
We are going on A Chilly Willy ride tomorrow .
We will be meeting at 11

Jack

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If I were you I would either quit riding with anyone that drinks, or take several CPR courses and get really good at it.
Sooner or later you are going to have to administer it. And are you going to be able to explain to all concerned why you knew they had several drinks and still let em ride?
Hard thing to tell some one's loved one's. And it will totally ruin your short ride between bars.
Best riding partner I have found, is a camera. Go do your ride, take plenty of pictures then post them here for us to see, or not. We promise we won't stop you in between shots.
My ride tomorrow begins at 7am I will ride 2 hours to meet my cousin for coffee, then we will ride together for 3 hours, stop for lunch and then head our separate way's home.
We plan on doing this all year long. We decided to visit all 58 counties in California.

·
Registered
542 Posts
HMMMM, xodus.
Sounds like you have hooked up with a bunch of folks who probably have bought a certain brand of bike, to be a part of a certain "family". Most likely a brand that is touted to be "Made in Amurica", useing older, "traditional" technology... but hey, they have a great resale value! :roll: You know, a group of "bikers" who favor a brand of bike that you can't criticize here without being admonished, but you must accept their snubs and catcalls of "Jap Junk" rider with a smile! :?
I've seen exactly what you are describing in my area too. Live and learn!
Like Dr. Bob's said, find some 'Wingers if you want some good destination riding. The GWingers in my area flat out ride!
Did 200 miles today. With the best riding partner in the world...My wife.

It really doesn't matter what folks ride, just find a tight group of like- minded riders and do what feels good![/img]

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey

hey my brother in law was killed doing that very same thing. i dont ride with drinkers any more. i was riding with a group of guys that went from bar to bar. 2 of those guys are now dead and 1 is paralyzed from the waist down and only has one leg left.

DONT DRINK AND RIDE
DONT DRINK AND RIDE
DONT DRINK AND RIDE

·
Registered
542 Posts
Doubly agree with MikeS.
I don't drink at all, couldn't if I even wanted to, diabetes sees to that. On a trip last summer my wife had 3 beers, got dehydrated & sick then damn near fell off the back of my Valk as a passenger! Right then and there even before becoming a motorcycle rider she learned the dangers of alcohol and bikes.
Wear extra leather if you want to look tough, tie a rubber chicken to your handlebars if you want a good laugh, don't use alky and your bike to enhance your "image" and have a good time!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, its probably an age differance thing too... I'm only 30(almost) and these guys are all in their mid 50's... and yes, they all ride american bikes, but no one cares what I ride. They are all cool guys, but like I said, I just want to ride not stop every 10 minutes, or be sitting around waiting for them to show up...

Today, we were supposed to meet up at a local bar at 10am and leave from there. Well I check my phone and I have a voicemail... says now we are meeting at 11am... hmmm check the bars website, they open @ 11am :roll: I get thier around 10:45 find another group of bikes and one of the guys tells me he ran into my friends and they were on thier way. so I hang out until 11:15 and then I leave... they are always 20 - 45 minutes late, so I figured 15 minutes was enough time to wait, and it would get me out of having to ride with them... lol

well I took off, rode around for a while, went home and posted the first post here... lol. my friend with his Z750S called me about 30 minutes after I was home and we went off for a ride, and got some food... not a bad day at all... atleast I got about 65 or 70 miles in today...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Been there done that a couple of times; With the bar hoppers, more interested in drinking than riding. (I don't drink when I ride, ashamed to admit I did it alot in my teens and twenties). Left that group in short order.
The next group was the eaters and shoppers. Stop at every little roadside store, stand, garage sale, or whatever just to browse. That group lasted 0ne Sunday. In fact I apologized after the 4th stop and told them I had to leave, family emergency. (it was, I was about to committ hari kari if I didn't leave).
The last one was folks that ride way to slow, I was miserable. Maybe I'm picky, I don't know. But I enjoy riding alone or with maybe one or two friends and thats it. If somebody wants to take off, they do, nobody is offended. If someone wants to shop, they do, I probably go on, nobody is offended. It's a much more enjoyable ride with no stress.

·
Registered
542 Posts
We are guilty of the "riding to dine" style of trips. Seems as though the eatery is 50 or so miles away and after a good meal a long off the beaten path trip occurs! 8)
Went to eat yesterday and ended up in Titusville, over 100 miles from home!
Keep searching around, good riding partners will come and go so make a lot of riding friends!

Last weekends "Coney Island Drive Inn" ride with a FL Valk/GW group.[/img]

·
Registered
477 Posts
When I was 20 I would ride half drunk and stoned out of my gore. Had a bad wreck. Now 50 neither is an issue and I find riding takes on a whole new meaning."Peace"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bah!!!

If you are going to ride with other people - ride with folks you like and have similar interests. A destination is often just an excuse to head in a certain direction.

A couple of us have ridden to different parks within different towns to play a little disc-golf (or frisbee golf). For about $8 you have all the equipment you need. We try to find a place course a decent amount of time away (40-100 miles away) as our destination. Gives us a chance to stretch our legs before ridding off again.

We do get some looks from the locals when we ride up, "un-leather," get out the frizbees, and head for the first tee. But at least we don't have any playground bullies messin with us.

Any excuse for a destination will do. But make it one that you enjoy. Otherwise it can take the fun out of the ride.

Saturday I rode solo to three different parks/wild life refuges in the local area. Put 70 miles on the bike and discovered three great places to go back to with my camera.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts