Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Black Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really bad bounce at about 40mph. I have the dyna beads coming. I jacked her up and checked for wheel true on both front and back. Seems maybe an 1mm spot side to side and spot on the’ up and down’ true. I’m skeptical of the beads but hopeful. I’ll hopefully have them in for the up coming Labor Day weekend.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,252 Posts
Nice looking tourer smurfy. It deserves the vroom vroom. I have a really bad bounce at about 40mph. I have the dyna beads coming. I jacked her up and checked for wheel true on both front and back. Seems maybe an 1mm spot side to side and spot on the’ up and down’ true. I’m skeptical of the beads but hopeful. I’ll hopefully have them in for the up coming Labor Day weekend.
Check to see that the tire is fully seated on the rim. It can be ever-so-slightly off for a small part of the circumference and cause what you describe.

Most of the skepticism you'll find is based on failure to understand how the beads work. There is no magically finding the light spots then collecting in them. All that happens is the majority of the beads stay in the bottom of the tire thereby ensuring the contact patch is always heaviest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check to see that the tire is fully seated on the rim. It can be ever-so-slightly off for a small part of the circumference and cause what you describe.

Most of the skepticism you'll find is based on failure to understand how the beads work. There is no magically finding the light spots then collecting in them. All that happens is the majority of the beads stay in the bottom of the tire thereby ensuring the contact patch is always heaviest.
Thank you Adlowe. I’ve seen you around in here with what seems like some pretty good wisdom for folks. So let me see if I understand what you are saying.. all the centrifugal force due to the tire spinning at high speed moving the beads to follow the inside circumference is nonsense and since the beads are heavy, they just hold you on the ground better?.. I did look at the bead seat and eyeballing the margin that the seam and rim create, it seems even all the way around. Is there a better way to check that? Rubber mallet? I do suspect some out of round issue. There are tubes and spokes if it makes a difference. My bounce is not an even tempo. More like harmonic repeating triple bounce if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,252 Posts
So let me see if I understand what you are saying.. all the centrifugal force due to the tire spinning at high speed moving the beads to follow the inside circumference is nonsense and since the beads are heavy, they just hold you on the ground better?
Would never go so far as calling it "nonsense" because the environment is extremely dynamic but gravity is the oft-overlooked force in the complex claims. The beads don't adhere to the walls of the tire instead seeking to stay at the bottom. Some, undoubtedly, ride around. But not the whole mass of them.

I did look at the bead seat and eyeballing the margin that the seam and rim create, it seems even all the way around. Is there a better way to check that? Rubber mallet? I do suspect some out of round issue. There are tubes and spokes if it makes a difference. My bounce is not an even tempo. More like harmonic repeating triple bounce if that makes sense.
What you have sounds like a partially-unseated bead gave me. I couldn't see it before pulling the (rear) tire after a friend pointed it out. He spent about 20 minutes on the ground inspecting the tire; had me move the bike inches at a time while he did. Spokes and tubes, too. Basically created an out-of-round condition that was nearly impossible to detect. Until moving about 40 MPH.

Solution was deflating the tire, breaking the bead, lubing the bead then over-inflating the tire (sans valve core) until the tire made the distinctive pop into place. Could definitely see the difference.

Might not be your problem at all. But yours sounds similar.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
607 Posts
I've used DynaBeads for a while now and they work great. I was skeptical at first, but a friend installed them in my Valkyrie while I was on a cross country ride. Even though I was 1000 miles from home I relented to my friend's insistence, plus he swore by them. I kept the old wheel weights just in case...never needed 'em.

What I have noticed with DynaBeads is this...even tire wear, less cupping, longer tire life (mileage-wise) and a super smooth ride. An added bonus of the absence of wheel weights is that the rim is smooth and clean. Makes for a nice look.

I can't explain the physics behind DynaBeads, but here's a simple demonstration from '08...
DynaBead Demo
As you can see, they spread out across the inside surface of the bottle just like they'll do inside a tire. Once spread out, the bottle balances and can spin at any speed without any vibration.

Now, if your tire is out of round or not seated properly, then weights, beads, magic, etc. ain't gonna take a vibration away.

Also, there are different brands of balance beads, so be aware of any that are not ceramic. Otherwise, you'll end up with a mess.

One more thing...some tire manufacturers will not honor a tire warranty if balance beads have been installed. You'll have to look it up on your tire brand's website to make sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would never go so far as calling it "nonsense" because the environment is extremely dynamic but gravity is the oft-overlooked force in the complex claims. The beads don't adhere to the walls of the tire instead seeking to stay at the bottom. Some, undoubtedly, ride around. But not the whole mass of them.

What you have sounds like a partially-unseated bead gave me. I couldn't see it before pulling the (rear) tire after a friend pointed it out. He spent about 20 minutes on the ground inspecting the tire; had me move the bike inches at a time while he did. Spokes and tubes, too. Basically created an out-of-round condition that was nearly impossible to detect. Until moving about 40 MPH.

Solution was deflating the tire, breaking the bead, lubing the bead then over-inflating the tire (sans valve core) until the tire made the distinctive pop into place. Could definitely see the difference.

Might not be your problem at all. But yours sounds similar.
Thanks guys. Would the bead break method work the same with my tube?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a really bad bounce at about 40mph. I have the dyna beads coming. I jacked her up and checked for wheel true on both front and back. Seems maybe an 1mm spot side to side and spot on the’ up and down’ true. I’m skeptical of the beads but hopeful. I’ll hopefully have them in for the up coming Labor Day weekend.
You may want to try 'Ride On" balancing gel. My brothers Shadow was extremely bad. So bad you'd get sea sick and a neck ache fromthe bounce. We put it in the rear tire and it was amazingly smooth.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,026 Posts
I use Counteract for MOTORCYCLES | Counteract Balancing Beads I've been happy with them.
Tires have stayed balanced.
No noticeable shake from 0 to 120+ mph.
My box of spoke weights had gone missing, I only had stick-ons and they look ugly on a spoked rim and I thought I'd give beads a try, I don't think I'll go back to weights, but I won't say never.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did for mine. It had a tube. But it DEFINITELY was not fully seated on the rim.
Ugg. Ok. Thanks guys. My dyna beads should be here today. Ima put ‘em in and try it. If not, time to drop the exhaust and pull the wheel. I’ll post up my results/progress later.

·
Registered
767 Posts
A word of caution
If you have beads in a tubeless rear tire make sure no beads fall into the final drive area of the wheel when removing that tire from the wheel.
:eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
After a (very) short amount of research, it seems Dyna Beads can be used for tube tires, too.

Great!

Does anyone here have any experience with that? I'm curious how it's worked out.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,026 Posts
No experience with Dyna Beads, but an incident free experience using Counteract Beads with tubes.
It is a little tedious filling the tube though the valve stem with the valve core removed, it would clog from time to time and I would blow them clear with the air gun on the compressor and then back to the squeeze bottle. I bought a kit that came with the squeeze bottle and valve cores that are specifically for beads and fancy caps.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,252 Posts
After a (very) short amount of research, it seems Dyna Beads can be used for tube tires, too.

Great!

Does anyone here have any experience with that? I'm curious how it's worked out.
Yeah. Tens of thousands of miles with Dynabeads in tubed tires. I'd have to check the service but it's easily 25k, maybe more than 40k. They worked GREAT.

With Sabre wheels on the bike last year, it was surprising to learn that it was easier to get the beads into tubes. Didn't think about it but tubeless valves clog more readily. Easy enough to resolve, though.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,054 Posts
Quoting @D's Spirit
One more thing...some tire manufacturers will not honor a tire warranty if balance beads have been installed. You'll have to look it up on your tire brand's website to make sure.

Interesting. I never thought about warranty. I just changed my front tire yesterday on the wing. I use beads religously! My suburban, my daughter has two sets of tires mounted w/beads. I also put them in my stepson's car. So the inside of the old tire did have a about a 1 1/2" path worn smooth in the center with the beads rolling in there and created little rubber balls. Im curious why warranty would be void with beads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quoting @D's Spirit

Interesting. I never thought about warranty. I just changed my front tire yesterday on the wing. I use beads religously! My suburban, my daughter has two sets of tires mounted w/beads. I also put them in my stepson's car. So the inside of the old tire did have a about a 1 1/2" path worn smooth in the center with the beads rolling in there and created little rubber balls. Im curious why warranty would be void with beads.
Yeah. Tens of thousands of miles with Dynabeads in tubed tires. I'd have to check the service but it's easily 25k, maybe more than 40k. They worked GREAT.

With Sabre wheels on the bike last year, it was surprising to learn that it was easier to get the beads into tubes. Didn't think about it but tubeless valves clog more readily. Easy enough to resolve, though.
Ok guys. The beads arrived. They went in great. Just as described. Rear is a90 degree stem, front is a straight. No issues getting them in either. I used compressed air to help each little hose full go in. I’ll put some pics up if i can figure that out. Anyway, it didn’t work. Not a waste of money but not perfect. Still got 60% ish of the bump bump bump. I’ll try over airing and pounding the side wall with the rubber mallot. Maybe there is still some tire bead to seat. How much air do you think is safe? 180/15s with a tube.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
767 Posts
A close look all the way around at the tire/wheel juncture for any un-evenness should pin point the problem area if the bead is not seated.
The tube maybe pinched between the tire and rim, something else to look for.

Is this a tire you recently mounted?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts