Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Black Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A close look all the way around at the tire/wheel juncture for any un-evenness should pin point the problem area if the bead is not seated.
The tube maybe pinched between the tire and rim, something else to look for.

Is this a tire you recently mounted?
Thanks kenstone. Will look. No. This tire came on the bike. Looks great. No dry rot and plenty of tread. The bike had 1,004 mi when i got it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well the seams all around both rims, both sides look great. There is a nice raised ring on both tires that i used. It creates a 1/4” margin to the rim. Seems constant all the way around, left and right side of each tire/wheel combo. But i pounded with a rubber mallet (with a pulling motion from the center towards the out side) both tires on both sides to try and pull the bead out if it was stuck. I worked at my Dads garage back in the 70s of the 1900’s. I mounted and balanced many tires. And pounded the beads to seat on quite a few. Just got back from a 35mi ride and I’m disgusted. Still bouncing from 40 on up and it takes a lot of the fun out of it.

• Sad
Reactions: Kenstone

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,252 Posts
Sounds like what I had with the unseated bead. No amount of balancing beads would fix it. Change it a little, yes. But not enough.

Did you post that the tires were on the bike when you got it and the bike only had1,004 miles? That would have me VERY concerned! 10± year old tires, no matter how they look, could have all kinds of problems. I wouldn't ride them. Check the date codes on those ASAP. If they weren't manufactured in the last 2 to 5 years then don't waste more time trying to get them right.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Dyna Beads don't seem to be readily available around here or from Amazon, but EZ Beads are.
Is there any real difference? Am I good with the EZ beads?

Also, are the filtered valve cores necessary? (I have tube tires)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dyna Beads don't seem to be readily available around here or from Amazon, but EZ Beads are.
Is there any real difference? Am I good with the EZ beads?

Also, are the filtered valve cores necessary? (I have tube tires)
Hey menhir. I used the ez beads. Came with the bottle, hose, valve stem tool, new valves and new caps. 1oz front and 2oz back. They went in great. I used compressed air to blow each little hose full in but you could get away with pressure from the bottle. It will just take a little longer. They didn’t fix my problem but im starting to agree with adlowe that balancing may not be my issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sounds like what I had with the unseated bead. No amount of balancing beads would fix it. Change it a little, yes. But not enough.

Did you post that the tires were on the bike when you got it and the bike only had1,004 miles? That would have me VERY concerned! 10± year old tires, no matter how they look, could have all kinds of problems. I wouldn't ride them. Check the date codes on those ASAP. If they weren't manufactured in the last 2 to 5 years then don't waste more time trying to get them right.
Yup. They came with the bike. No dry rot and the tread looks great. They still have a bunch of the rubber whiskers on them. I’ll post a pic but i think the back is 2013, oct?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive design
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Guessing i need new tires huh? Point me to some good threads on selecting the best tube type tires and tubes?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hey menhir. I used the ez beads. Came with the bottle, hose, valve stem tool, new valves and new caps. 1oz front and 2oz back. They went in great. I used compressed air to blow each little hose full in but you could get away with pressure from the bottle. It will just take a little longer...
Well, I'm going with the EZ beads. Ordering now.

I just came off a 3400 mile trip, mostly highway, and the vibrations became very annoying at the 70 to 80mph highway speeds.
I never had the problem before with the same bike on the same trip. My commute is at around 60mph where the vibrations aren't noticeable, which is why I didn't notice it before.
I guess I must have thrown a weight at some point.

Here's hoping the beads will do the trick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, I'm going with the EZ beads. Ordering now.

I just came off a 3400 mile trip, mostly highway, and the vibrations became very annoying at the 70 to 80mph highway speeds.
I never had the problem before with the same bike on the same trip. My commute is at around 60mpg where the vibrations aren't noticable, which is why I didn't notice it before.
I guess I must have thrown a weight at some point.

Here's hoping the beads will do the trick.
Menhir, if you look back in this post there are some pics of the ez beads process. Mine are tubes so they had to go through the valve stems. I had the bike on a jack so the tire didn’t go flat on the bottom when i let the air out.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Menhir, if you look back in this post there are some pics of the ez beads process. Mine are tubes so they had to go through the valve stems. I had the bike on a jack so the tire didn’t go flat on the bottom when i let the air out.
Yup. Saw that. Thanks!

If the beads arrive in time, I hope to get them in before this weekend. I'm planning on going to a rally about three highway hours away.
A smoother ride there would be nice.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,252 Posts
Guessing i need new tires huh? Point me to some good threads on selecting the best tube type tires and tubes?
You don't need tube-specific tires. Put tubes in "tubeless" tires and you'll have no issues.

Off the top of my head:
Dunlop Elite 4s are what I'm running now. Chosen based on recommendations from another rider. Seem good so far. Michelin Commanders get a lot of praise; I've shied away suspecting they're too hard for a bike as light as mine. That was definitely true for Metzeler 888s; I loved the 880s they replaced but can't get them in my sizes anymore. Pirelli Night Dragon was good but didn't last very long on the rear; paired well with my last 880 up front. Pirelli M66 has several fans on the board. Avon had some fans, too, before production problems in the Brazil factory led to premature cracking problems. I've run Venoms and Cobras and been pleased with both. Would probably be running on Cobras if I hadn't decided to try the E4s.

Dunlop D404s have fans here,too. Because they are cheap. You get what you pay for. Will never again be on a bike I own. Look good on garage queens, though. Dunlop K177/K555 were stock on my bike. Wear well but handling is mediocre on good days and poor on the others.

Shinko also gets praised. Have no experience with them so can't provide useful comments.

There may be another brand or two that earn praise. I know Bridgestone makes good tires but have never run one on a Shadow. Nor shopped the brand. Seemed good on the Suzuki cruisers I've ridden. Don't recall the designations for those tires.

All my tires seem to be coming from Rocky Mountain ATV anymore. (Sorry, don'f have a link handy. Working from a tablet at the moment.) They sell DynaBeads, too. Can't recall why but it seems I always ended up getting (Bridgestone) tubes from BikeBandit and rim strips from RonAyers. Rocky Mountain does sell both. Must have been doing more than just chsnging tires?

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
489 Posts
Can't tell about Dunlop but I'm quite impressed with the new Mitas Custom force.
Good grip in dry, not too noisy and good in absorbing road irregularities.
Wasn't too sure about it but they are good tyres with a good price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thank you guys. I have a set of Shinko 777 coming in. I’m hoping anything is better than the 9 year old Bridgestones I’ve got on there. Even though i now think the bouncing may be due to the tires sitting on the bike in storage for an undetermined amount of time, i still shyed away from Bridgestone. Those and the Dunlop 404’s are recommended on the drive shaft decal. Glad i stayed away from the Dunlops too. I had to go to a different vender to find a set of tubes and rim strips. And i got a set of tire spoons and rim guards. It will be a week or two till all of that gets delivered but it’s gonna make a fun and hopefully productive weekend at some point. Unless you recommend against it, I’m gonna disect the old tubes to get my recent ez beads out and re-use them on the new setup.

Reactions: h13man

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
After a (very) short amount of research, it seems Dyna Beads can be used for tube tires, too.

Great!

Does anyone here have any experience with that? I'm curious how it's worked out.
I have been using the Counteract beads for about four years now in tubes on two bikes, and tubeless in my Cherokee and utility trailer. They work just fine.

For the OP,,,
The beads will distribute evenly around the inside of the tube or tire, not just sit at the contact patch. It’s only a couple of ounces,,,how can that help with traction. As the wheel assembly gets to an out of balance condition the beads migrate to the lighter area to offset the heavier area. Since the beads can move in this manner they always keep the wheel assembly in balance, at all speeds. They also work in any tire as long as there is enough in the tire. My bike uses 1oz in the front and 2oz in the rear. My Cherokee and utility trailer both use 4oz in each tire.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
You might also want new tubes and wheel flaps when you change your tires.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks Eric. Good info on the beads. I think you missed my sarcasm with Sir adlowe on the contact patch. A risk i know, but he’s still talking to me so i think there is a sense of Humer in there. I had to go to a different vender but i do have new tubes and rim strips coming as well. Thanks again.
Steve

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had the same problem. Put a new front tire, re balance. Then I got the beads, used the app for the correct amount and out in both tires. Removed the weights from the rim and seems to have improved.

Also, if the chain tension is too loose it can make you think it's the tire balance but just the slack causing this. So check that as well.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,252 Posts
The beads will distribute evenly around the inside of the tube or tire, not just sit at the contact patch.
You guys are quite impressed with the water-bottle video and believe that's what happens inside your tires. Great that you are so extremely confident. But consider the math: your tires don't spin as fast as that water bottle. Never do. Focus on what the water bottle does at speeds your tires can achieve and you'll never believe the beads will work. As many, many, many other folks believe.

But, hey, taking time to think about what's really happening is of little value to people who "know" everything.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,054 Posts
What I know is I'm running beads in 6 different sets of tires. Bike, passenger car and truck. None of them have a balance problem and none of them have any static weights. I personally mounted all of the tires except for 2 of the bikes. Now I cannot believe every one of those tires were in perfect balance without any balancing media. Fwiw I believe beads work.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts