Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1996 VLX 600...

What are the best bang-for-the-buck things to do to increase HP/torque? Plugs, pipes, etc... I know it's a 600cc and it's not gonna' break the sound barrier, I just want to know what's possible.

I did some searching and found some good info in other threads, but most info seemed a few years old at least.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I cant really say for the 600, but I'm sure it's simmiliar to 750's and 1100's..... as far as performance upgrades.

The "simple" ones are pipes, jet kit, stage 3 (air box removal), shed weight.

More difficult is timing advance.

Do ALL the above for gain of IDK, maybe 5-15 rear wheel HP. Timing advance will significantly help lower rpm HP.

Most difficult is raising compression ratio.... milling heads, change piston...your choice. Also AM cams could be purchased "somewhere". These 2 (3) "upgrades" are $$$, time consuming, and not for the "novice" mechanic!

I've done half of this to my 95. It's 57 rear wheel HP.
My 83 is "stock" other than very light porting work on heads, and fresh rebuild....no timing advance, stock exhaust, stock jets, air box in place, etc. It runs circles around the 1100... ALWAYS will. It's 9.8 CR stock vs 8.5.

From my research, fast means V4 or 1800cc in a Honda.

83-86 V65 Magna in my future...... (Thanks DG....:wink::eek::mrgreen:)

BTW, just trying to help...honestly. I'd be surprised if whatever you do to your 600 makes you feel it was worth the $$$ for little power increase.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Bigger bike....... By the time you spend money on pipes and jets, for 10hp, you will be out more money than if you sold the 600 and bought a stock 750 or 1100.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Look ing for more HP? Buy a Magna 750. Way faster than the other Hondas in the non sport bike lines. You could spend the same price you spent on your bike on mods & the stock Magna would would run away from it.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Bigger bike....... By the time you spend money on pipes and jets, for 10hp, you will be out more money than if you sold the 600 and bought a stock 750 or 1100.
No way in he!! he is getting 10hp out of a 600 - lucky to get 4-5hp out of an 1100 with pipes, jets, ign upgrades.

I have done it all to a VT1100 (without breaking into the engine) runs great (compared to stock which still isn't saying much) then bought a DL1000 - now that is a fast comfortable do-all ride for the price.

Move up or save your money to move up in the future by leaving it stock compounding investments are your friend) - In the long run it is better to learn how to ride it fast than to make it faster.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Man, I wouldn't call his bike (or other 600's)a POS! Whats up with that?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
CBJR, thats what I'm saying. Buy the time you got any "REAL" power out of a 600, your talking serious dollars for a 600 V-twin cruiser, that is only faster than another 600 V-twin cruiser. As far as Horsepower and speed are concerned.... ALL V-twins qualify under POS. And if that V-Twin is in a cruiser, more so. ANY inline or boxer for that mater of equal and often less diplacment will wipe the floor with a V2. I know sport bike twins are faster and powerfull, but even they lag to their inline competition. V4 is a completely different matter all together, Best worlds there, torque of the V and HP of the inline.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Man, I wouldn't call his bike (or other 600's)a POS! Whats up with that?
600, 750, 1100, they are all POS tractor motors - built to last a lifetime and need very little maintenance (a very good thing they are what they are) - but when you talk about moding for more or any significant power - it's not the platform that offers any real improvements and almost no aftermarket hard-parts that fits in the bang-for-buck category they are all real POS's imo when talking about anything more than making mods to only slightly improve rideablity.

Sucks to be smoked by 250cc Ninjas and 400 Bergmans, however neither of the above could plow a field as easily as any Model/size Shadow. Or drag two up over a mountain with the same ease.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Don't get me wrong telling you to trade. I have a vlx and love it for what it is. A solid reliable bike. But mods like pipes and jetting might add 5% if done really well. So that might mean 2-3 hp, at what cost. And what do you give away, generally performance gains are only at certain rpm. You might gain a bit of low or high rpm power but did you loose some at another rpm. And what has it done to resale and reliability. The old hot rodders statement that there is no substitute for cubes is very true.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys...

Let me clarify my wants. I want to go a touch faster on the freeway... that's about it.

Sounds like pipes and a jet kit should accomplish this. Which pipes are best for power increase? I don't care much about how they sound.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Great thread with some sound advice. I purchased my 2009 Shadow Aero because of it's tractor like qualites. Lot of good bikes out there if you want power, speed and road performance. Don't know if I would be looking at cruisers or trying to modify one to achieve these objectives.

Frank

·
Registered
4,689 Posts

Let me clarify my wants. I want to go a touch faster on the freeway... that's about it.

Sounds like pipes and a jet kit should accomplish this. Which pipes are best for power increase? I don't care much about how they sound.

Buy something you like the sound of - and buy a good quality jet kit - V & H or HardKromes are all good exaust choices. Follow the jet kit manufacturerrs recommendation for the pipe set you buy (pretty generic really - full system or tailpipes only and baffle in or out sometimes air filter mods will make a jet difference and needle position differnces too) and you be should be good to go.

You will improve rideablity enough for it to be noticable, better midrange etc. Maybe better fuel mileage at some speeds....it happens.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
So, they are POS for raw HP making platforms......I'll agree with that.

Yet, none better if ya don't want to work on it.... want to pull a plow....or your old hag up a steep hill.

Seems like owners need to decide if they want a Ferrari, or Kenworth.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I do definitely agree that other than spending HUGE money there is no way to get "maybe 5-15 rear wheel HP" from a 600. Unlikely on an 1100 to get anywhere near the upper end of that range. Lots of power is lost in the drive train. Most people hear more decibels & relate it to the same increase in HP. Not so. My 1100 works great for me. I wish it was fuel injected when I get in the 8-11,000 ft elevations, but so what. Ride your bike & have some fun.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Seems like owners need to decide if they want a Ferrari, or Kenworth.

I voted for kenworth. Ferrari's are nice but impractical and they break down alot. My 97 600cd ain't no screamer but she looks nice and sounds bigger than she is.

Honestly, i think it's faster than my last bike a 97 virago 750. Maybe it's just the difference between chain and shaft though. Hated that virago.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Best way to go a little faster on the freeway, is to change your sprockets. That is much more Bang for the Buck than basic exhaust or Intake upgrade. Exhaust and intake mods are great for sound and throttle response, but any real pickup in top end speed is VERY expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts