Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Honda Shadow phantom
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. We just bought my wife a 2015 phantom and she loves it but the guy we bought it from changed the mirrors out and I really don't like them. Can't see much out of them other than shoulders and they seem very "zoomed in" so very limited field of view.
I was hoping to upgrade her to the Kuryakyn Phantom bar end mirrors but I ran into a bit of a snag and am wondering if anyone has had any luck with bar end mirrors on newer shadows?

The issue I am having is that there seems to be some sort of plug in the handlebars? From doing a little digging in other threads I am guessing it is some sort of vibration damper? Picture below...
I called Kuryakyn and had a couple different answers so I figured I would get your input... First guy said "You will get a whole lot of vibration if you take that out, don't do it" and the second guy said "You can try to push it further into the bar (which I doubt is possible?) or just drill through it with a 5/8" bit for the mirrors to fit and it shouldn't impact vibration too badly".

What are your thoughts? I don't want to start drilling or tearing up the damper out of the bar if this will end up making the bike a lot less enjoyable to ride due to vibration.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,685 Posts
Yes those are vibration dampers from the factory. I discovered them on my old 1983 750 and was surprised. They should slide out.
There was some discussion about helping with damping and some said you can put BBs or buckshot taped up in a plastic bag and do the same thing and be out of your way for the mirrors -?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,685 Posts
Mine had expanded clip ends that can be squeezed a little with a pick tool to slide them out. They are long!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swifty2014 thank you for the reply! Wow no kidding those are very long! Thanks for the alternative solution with the plastic bag! Just had another thought as well - what if I cut a couple inches off those long bars and push them back in as far as I can? Instead of having the clips holding them in, the mirrors should do the trick?
My only worry would be that the rubber piece at the end (seen in your picture, I assume mine will have that too) would be cut off though but I can probably glue something similar around the new end to keep it from moving around?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,685 Posts
Maybe just some electrical or duct tape wrapped around to increase the diameter to just slip into the pipe snugly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the help of my much more mechanically inclined friend that works at a machine shop, we did end up chopping off about 1.5 inches off the vibration dampers and putting them back in the handlebar a little further. We drilled and tapped one end so that we can still get them out if ever needed. We also grinded off the white plastic threaded piece of the throttle side where the plastic bar end cap was attached.

I must admit - I did not notice a huge difference without the dampers during my 40 miles or so test ride. I still need to find something to fill in the old mirror threads/holes (Lowe's let me down).
I also cut off the ends of the OEM plastic bar end caps to keep the look from the stock grips (see pictures).

Let me know what you guys think, I am liking them a lot better and can see a lot more behind and around me while riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,685 Posts
That worked out nice. With the added weight of the mirrors way out at the ends it may even weight balance better.
If you can find some of these, it would look good in the mirror holes. Even if smaller they can be glue in with some silicone just to hold them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point I didn't even think of the mirror weight balancing out the weight that was cut out! And sorry I am not seeing any image of what you are talking about for the mirror holes??

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,290 Posts
The OEM mirror holes are M10x1.25 thread, I wanted some small button head allen head bolts just like the pic Swifty posted to plug one of my mirror holes but finding one isn’t so easy, sort of a specialty fastener because even McmasterCarr doesn’t list them. Currently using a small head push fastener, believe it was 3/8 diameter and I had to cut the end off to have it seat all the way.

The handlebar vibration damper weights don’t do much in my experiences, some people can take the vibration and some can’t. By all rights I should have the most handlebar vibration ever, big tall bars with solid riser bushings and no bar weights/dampers. Feels fine to me, perhaps the excessive bar height soaks up the vibrations

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Ron!

Froth - I like that idea a lot, where did you find that? I was thinking of swinging by Fastenal on Monday to see if they had anything I could use.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,685 Posts
You might find some at the local auto parts store. The modern cars have them in many places to hold panels on especially under the hood and splash shields.

Reactions: jlimpa4070

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,290 Posts
Froth - I like that idea a lot, where did you find that? I was thinking of swinging by Fastenal on Monday to see if they had anything I could use.
Napa auto parts, they had a big assortment in the aisle near the bolts and I just compared a bunch till I found one close to my needs, the ones I ended up with had the right head diameter but were almost an inch long so I just cut the end down with my side cutters and pushed it in. Hasn’t moved in over 4k miles so I think it’s good.

Reactions: jlimpa4070

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,448 Posts
I like the look of the bar end mirrors, nice styling and they make sense for improved rearward vision.
I can't see me doing the switch as I often have to avoid driveway vehicles and sure as something, in avoiding cars I'd put one into the brick wall of the house or hang it in the shrubbery.

FWIW with my somewhat shorter than stock bars, I decided I'd try them without the stock weights and they did not bother me, so the weights were never installed.
All a matter of harmonics I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good to know CSRoad. I agree I probably went overkill with shortening and adding back the weights but since it's my wife's motorcycle I didn't want to risk it.

I've had bar end mirrors on my bike for years and it definitely does make you be a bit more careful in tight spots. Luckily mine (CRG arrow) fold up towards the grips if I need a little extra room to squeeze between the 2 cars in the garage where I park.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.