Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size are the bars on an 84 vt500? I dont like how the ends of the bars kick back. I want some that are straighter. so i need to know the diameter of the bars.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
7/8" I believe. Try checking yours with a tape measure.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It can be tricky to get a good measurement on a bar with a tape measure. A much easier method is to use open ended wrenches.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The buckhorns on my 84 vt700 were terrible. You could call them comfortable, but definitely not made to maneuver. I totally get where OP is coming from.

I just bent mine a little straighter. Didn't think I did it enough but it was a world of difference for handling. Straighter bars came with an instant boost in riding confidence. I had bought a set of straighter bars but they hit the tank at full turn, hence bending the stock ones.

·
Registered
160 Posts
keep in mind the angle of the controls, mirrors and master cylinder - too straight and you might have a hard time with them.

just a consideration - you may not have ANY problems with them at all.

dv

·
Registered
37 Posts
The bars on mine in my sig pic are available. I took them off and replaced them with stock bars, then replaced those with another set I got at a swap meet for $5. The ones I'm using now are very close to the stock ones, with a little less pullback.

selmer brings up a good point. When I had the bars in my pic on, the controls weren't a problem, but the mirrors were. I could see the lanes next to me, but I couldn't see behind me at all. The mirrors weren't angled out enough. Plus, the cables hadn't been replaced so they were bent to the point of almost binding up.

I'm still not completely comfortable with the ones I'm using. My left wrist hurts from the angle of the grip during and after any ride, even short ones. I think something with a similar height and width to the stock bars, but with less pullback would be better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses. I like the height, and width of the bars, but the kick backs at the ends put my wrists in an uncomfortable position.

RAVO, how did you bend your bars? I will just do that, then paint them black or something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts