Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys & Girls,

Just wondering. I know folks recommend using the trickler chargers to keep batteries up during dormant periods.

If my battery went dead, is there any reason that I couldn't charge it with my Wally World auto battery charger?

Thanks, Beck

·
Registered
188 Posts
My auto charger has a setting for 2amp, 10amps, & 50amps (I think). If you put it on the low setting then I say that would be fine.

Otherwise you run the risk of boiling your battery dry. If it was me I would bring the battery up to a charge and then place it on a shelf in the garage or laundry room with the vent tube pointed up. Then after the winter weather goes away the battery should need another charge and then should be fine.

--BB

G

·
0 Posts
An auto charger has too many amps and will toast your cycle battery. Battery Tender is a good trickle charger and they are sold everywhere.

Years ago, I bought this little box called an Ampere Damper that would reduce the number of amps of a car charger to a level suitable for a cycle battery. I believe I got it at Sears. Not sure if they're still around. Getting one of those could save you a couple bucks.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
outdoors4me,

Not sure if you are aware, but there are two types of trickle chargers.

A standard trickle charger is generally a 1 or 2 amp charger that
stays on at all times, constantly charging the battery.
If left on all the time, it can harm the battery, car or bike.
This type of charger can be used it you use a timer in conjunction with it
so that the timer turns it on and off, maybe an hour or so a day.

The other type of trickle charger is known as a maintanence or float charger.
The Battery Tender brand, among brands, are maintanence chargers.
They have an electronic circuit that monitors the battery and turns the
charger on and off as needed by the battery.

Unless you are in a "need it right now" situation, you should charge all
your batteries, car, bike, lawn mower, etc, as slowly as you can.
The slower you charge the battery, the better it is for the health of the battery.
Fast charging a lead acid battery causes the paste of the batteries plates
fall off. As that paste comes off, the battery loses its capacity.
If enough falls off and shorts against two plates, then your battery is severaly hurt. The slower you can charge the battery, the least likely
the plates will deteriorate.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
if your auto battery charger can be set for 2amp or less.
it will work ok with out danger of frying your battery.

like litnin says becareful though if it doesnt have an auto shut-off
you will need to manualy manage the time.

droy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Beck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Battery Charger

I second what some of the other posts are saying about the Battery Tender brand. I curently own the "jr." model. I just bought it after my fairly new battery (maybe 7 mos old) was almost dead after experiencing some unusually cold weather down south. The "trickle" charger is definately not what you need and can actually harm your battery. It can even overflow it (dont ask me how I know this) which is worse. Applied the battery jr. with its quick connects, which allow you to just plug it in when you arent riding, and for the first time since I have owned the bike it starts on the first button push every time. Go get one! You wont be sorry!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts