Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I adjusted my valves today on the ole 750 Ace, And I guess somewhere in all of this the key was left on I know a :oops: should have taken it out of it :oops: Now here is the deal, the battery will not take a charge, I have an automatic charger and it shows the battery is fully charged, I also put in on another charger for the last 2 hours and the guage on the charger has not moved, I used my truck to jump the bike and it came right to life but no such luck with the battery, my guess is I ruined it, it was 2 years old any ideas?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
You can take it in and have it checked at an automotive store, but it's probably toast. Just make sure the terminal at the battery are clean before giving up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
ribman442 said:
Hi all I adjusted my valves today on the ole 750 Ace, And I guess somewhere in all of this the key was left on I know a :oops: should have taken it out of it :oops: Now here is the deal, the battery will not take a charge, I have an automatic charger and it shows the battery is fully charged, I also put in on another charger for the last 2 hours and the guage on the charger has not moved, I used my truck to jump the bike and it came right to life but no such luck with the battery, my guess is I ruined it, it was 2 years old any ideas?
ribman442,

I've heard about pulsed voltage chargers claiming to be able to rejuvenate sulphated lead -acid batteries. This may be snake oil and voo-doo, as I know of nobody who has ever tried one. I don't even know where you can get one. Maybe someone with more knowledge will jump in with some real data.

Barring that miracle device, a super slow charge is your next best bet.

John

·
Registered
213 Posts
Olivereaman said:
ribman442 said:
ribman442,

I've heard about pulsed voltage chargers claiming to be able to rejuvenate sulphated lead -acid batteries. This may be snake oil and voo-doo, as I know of nobody who has ever tried one. I don't even know where you can get one. Maybe someone with more knowledge will jump in with some real data.

John
John, I've been meaning to post my experience with a desulphating charger/maintainer. Two years ago I bought this one, http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12117.htm and here's what I tried. I had an old T battery from the '84 750 laying around for about a year so I tested it. Couldn't even get a specific gravity reading and only measured 8 volts. Had to charge it to 10 volts with a 5 amp charger as the Batteryminder won't operate below 10 volts. It took a week but 5 of the 6 cells came back to acceptable specific gravity but the 6th hardly registered on the tester. I suppose I should have left the battery on the charger to see if it could revive all the cells but since I was just playin' around I knew I wouldn't put the battery back in my son's bike again anyway. I've read it can take many weeks to revive a badley sulphated battery so I guess I should have left it on for the sake of investigation. If you want a good read on battery care and the desulphating thing check this link.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm

Dave

·
Registered
209 Posts
Daver84 said:
Olivereaman said:
ribman442 said:
ribman442,

John
John, I've been meaning to post my experience with a desulphating charger/maintainer. Two years ago I bought this one, http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12117.htm and here's what I tried. I had an old T battery from the '84 750 laying around for about a year so I tested it. Couldn't even get a specific gravity reading and only measured 8 volts. Had to charge it to 10 volts with a 5 amp charger as the Batteryminder won't operate below 10 volts. It took a week but 5 of the 6 cells came back to acceptable specific gravity but the 6th hardly registered on the tester. I suppose I should have left the battery on the charger to see if it could revive all the cells but since I was just playin' around I knew I wouldn't put the battery back in my son's bike again anyway. I've read it can take many weeks to revive a badley sulphated battery so I guess I should have left it on for the sake of investigation. If you want a good read on battery care and the desulphating thing check this link.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm

Dave
Dave,

Hey! Thanks a bunch for the reply and info. I've been hearing about the pulsers for awhile because I'm interested in wind, hydro and solar power, and the claim is that they'll increase battery life greatly.

Just a quick question, was the battery able to maintain 10V, or was it a case that you were able to get there but it wouldn't keep? In the very limited, and mostly not substantiated info I have, there must be no short in the battery or the pulser can't do it's job correctly. If you ever try another battery and you think about it, please let me know about your results. I'm very interested in these.

Again, Thank You very much!

John

·
Registered
213 Posts
John,

I didn't keep the battery so I can't answer your question. you are correct that desulphation won't work on a shorted battery cell. I do believe that a desulphating charger option is a must for lead acid motorcycle batteries that do not see regular usage, short riding/charging cycles and long periods of storage.
I'm also interested in solar/wind power generation but I'll wait a while until the generation component prices come down and the utility prices get higher. :roll: Search the net for desulfation and you'll find plenty of stories from people about using desulphating chargers to reclaim scrapped lead acid storage batteries.
As long as the old shadow is around I may have a source for a battery for testing but I am hoping that by using this charger my son will get some extended life from the battery. I've got six years on my maintenance free factory battery, strong as ever, and I just replaced the girlfriend's eight-year-old maintenance free factory battery with an Odyssey dry cell. If I can help it I'll never use a wet cell lead acid battery on a motorcycle again.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a battery that needs charged and i picked up a Pro Honda OptiMate Battery Optimizer from a local Honda Dealer today, If it works I will let you know, but man was it pricey! It supposedly works on anything from bikes to cars to lawn mowers. Says it Desulfatesd, charges and checks / maintains LA batteries for months. We will have to see. Just need some advice on how best to remove my battery, never worked on a motorcycle before and would like some basic info before i get started. Its better to have knowledge going in than learning from a mistake, In my opinion.

·
Registered
213 Posts
IanC said:
I have a battery that needs charged and i picked up a Pro Honda OptiMate Battery Optimizer from a local Honda Dealer today, If it works I will let you know, but man was it pricey! It supposedly works on anything from bikes to cars to lawn mowers. Says it Desulfatesd, charges and checks / maintains LA batteries for months. We will have to see. Just need some advice on how best to remove my battery, never worked on a motorcycle before and would like some basic info before i get started. Its better to have knowledge going in than learning from a mistake, In my opinion.
Good choice of charger. Just remember to disconnect the negative lead from the battery first and make sure it can't accidentally contact the battery post. You can now remove the positive lead without fear of shorting to the frame.

If you have a wet cell lead acid battery (has removable caps or cap strip on top and you can see the electrolyte inside) check the electrolyte level in all cells and if any are below the line top up with distilled or demineralized water only. Open the caps if the battery is low enough (12 volts or less) to require charging as it will bubble and offgas.

Of course if you have a sealed maintenance free battery then go ahead and connect the charger.

After you have your battery connected to the charger, every half hour or so, tilt the battery forward and backwards about 45 degrees to allow any gas trapped under the battery plates to rise to the top. If you leave the battery on maintenance charging for an extended period of time do the tilting thing once a day if you can unless it's stays in the bike and the bike is on the side stand. There will be enough of an angle for the bubbles to escape from under the plates. This happens naturally when you're riding.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cant beleive it I had my bike on the batt charger all night last night to no avail. I come home tonight and decided to pry the rubber plugs out of the top it is a so called sealed battery, it was dry I added water and charged it for 1.5 hours at 6 amps and it started right up I am not sure if I will trust it or how long it will last but I will keep you all posted and thanks for the advice.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts