Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, since I'm new to this game and I don't want to mess anything up I figured I would ask you guys for some advice.

In our area we are looking at about 2 weeks of crappy weather. I really don't plan on riding in this so I suppose my question is when do you determine it is proper to put the battery maintainer on the bike?

If it's going to be sitting 2 weeks should I mess with it? If it's going to be sitting a month? Where is the line drawn there?

PS I may cry a little when I put the cover on her for the winter...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sadly, I live in an apartment, and there's nowhere for me to plug in a battery maintainer outside, so I'm going to have to pull my battery and put it on a maintainer inside for the winter.

That's a good question though. I'd hate to pull my battery out, then two weeks later get a good few days and have to mess with putting it back in, then taking it back out when I'm done.

In for an answer on how long we can go with letting it sit.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
U can get away with 2 weeks no prob and hey if it dies then just
Plug it in what the hell right? I usualllllly plug mine in at winter storage time that's all
It maintains the battery at levels an shuts off and one when needed
But 2 weeks should be fine
a month would be pushing it if u never start it at all
Start it up now an then let it run it should be good but it allllways best
To plug it in

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Makes me wonder.... since I installed my battery tender I plug in every night. It shuts itself off so I figured I'm OK....right?

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Makes me wonder.... since I installed my battery tender I plug in every night. It shuts itself off so I figured I'm OK....right?
Right.
I like succinct answers.:wink:

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Actually, if we're not riding them, they're plugged in; never had a problem with a battery. I replace every 2-3 years just to be safe. They're cheaper than a tow.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Actually, if we're not riding them, they're plugged in; never had a problem with a battery. I replace every 2-3 years just to be safe. They're cheaper than a tow.
This x100. It's cheaper than a new battery too, or it was in Japan. I had to replace my Shadow battery the first winter and it cost me ~$230. Bought a tender and just plugged it in unless I was riding the next day.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually didn't think about it that way... We plug in our Fire Department rigs every time we pull them in the bay and I plug my Jeep in every time I don't drive it, so that's what I'm going to start doing since I'm in the habit of unplugging everything else. Thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Wow! Two weeks of crappy weather? That must be tough. I'll be putting my bike up on blocks in the next week or so and it will stay there until March or April.

I've had the bike 5 years now. The second year I had it I put in a new battery and I've never put it on a charger at all. It comes out for the winter and I usually ride it enough in the summer to keep it charged. This past summer, due to some crappy weather of our own, plus a serious lack of time, the bike sat for almost a month. When I did get back on it, it cranked real easy and fired up right away.

btw, just kidding

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.