Honda Shadow Forums banner

Battery non T

9K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  lowrider69 
#1 ·
My bike take that so very rare not so cheap T battery.

Any one uae somwthing other than this type? If so what mods you do for it?

Love to use a lawn and garden but I dont have space for a 8 by 4 in the hold tray.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Yes, the T battery sucks. Here is what I got now and it will start my bike(VT1100-T) up in 20* weather better than any battery I've ever had in a bike in all my 45 years of riding.
Shorai Lithium Iron LiFePO4 Battery LFX18A1-BS12

Not cheap and I don't know how long it will last but this little battery sure does start my bike fast. If you still have the stock R/R, I would highly suggest you change it out with a MOSFET R/R. That will make sure your battery stays fully charged.
Shindengen FH020AA Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier

ROD

#5 ·
My VT700 had a T cell and I wanted a rectangular AGM....made a simple tray to convert the battery box from a T shape to having an actual 'floor' for the rectangle shape out of aluminum and some rubber pads...didn't cost much, or take much time to fabricate. Without some sort of 'floor', the AGM would have just rested on the thin metal 'shoulders' of the lower T section and probably cracked the case and made a mess.

Attachments

#8 ·
Switching from T to AGM was the happiest day of my life. It is a very snug fit in the battery casing but was able to squeeze it in 95 VT1100C2 with no mod. The AGM is shorter (has no "T" )so I painted a piece of styrofoam black and used that as a filler at the bottom so the AGM sits on that.

G.

#11 ·
I'm a few days late in this post, but I must agree with dgraves49. Go to batterystuff.com, I got my Scorpion AMG there and have been loving life ever since. No maintenance, no hassle, no shipping cost, no tax, just $69.00 and at my door in 3 days, and that's only $4 more than the T-Cell. Also, the factory T-Cell for my battery was only 150CCA and this replacement is 230CCA, starts on any day and any temperature. I have a 1984 Shadow VT700C and everyone on here can tell you how finicky they can be with batteries and temperatures. Good Luck man

#13 ·
Thanks for reviving this old post. I see my post #8 from 2013 and realized my AGM battery was bought 8 years ago and it is still "the happiest day of my life". The bike is stored 6-7 months a year, has no charger on it, I don't disconnect the battery and every spring the bike starts well. Everyone should have one. Forget lithium and just go AGM

G.

#15 ·
I did buy an AGM battery for mine 2-3 years ago but end of this year I went to start the bike and nothing, charged it up and bought a decent battery tester and its lost 100CCA of its 200cca power and says replace the battery, saying that I did but it from ebay and have heard that some of there AGM dont last long, the other thing is they dont fit correct the agm T battery are slightly bigger and am having problems getting the side panel back on. when in and working though there is a vast difference of cranking power.
some of the lithium batteries are small enough to go into the top part of the T and still give 230cca - 270cca depending on the AH you buy the best being 18AH

#20 ·
If you have a stock "T" HYB-16A-AB battery the size is 151 x 91 x 180 in mm

My bike is the 1995 VT1100C2 and I run the original wiring ie no "3rd wire" regulator/stator or MOSFET changes. I have added spotlights but rarely use them.

The AGM battery I got is slightly smaller and no T at the bottom so fit the battery holder with no mods that I can remember perhaps I had to bend the cage slightly. Mine has lasted since June 2012 with no battery tender or charger. The CCA is greater than the stock, however the aH are lower at 11 but I don't need much aH (no air conditioning or stereo or GPS). This is the exact one I bought in 2012 when it was under $50... Oh wait its still under $50

G.

#23 · (Edited)
The stock Yuasa HYB16A-AB was 150CCA. The OutDo (Huawei) battery is CCA 170. I doubt anyone needs more CCA unless starting the engine when its when its less than 0 degrees C. Nothing wrong with Yuasa but they are a bit pricey (Revzilla has the Yuasa for $210) and I have been happy with my $50 knockoff.

G.

#24 ·
I think the stock T battery for the VT1100C1 older VT is 170CCA The Mottobatt T battery is 200CCA the stock battery is a so rubbish and underpowered for the early big V-Twin I was always having problems with them and I have had 3 of these older VT1100C1
The motobatt T shape 200CCA makes so much difference and turns it over with ease even when cold.
only problem is the battery barely fits in there and its a real pain to get it in and out. if the battery I was looking at fits in there that would be so much better for me and the battery is the same sort of price. in the uk the motobatt AMG is £65, will still do some ready up on quality of the cheaper ones but reviews are saying pay the extra.

#25 ·
I decided to go with this battery in the end.
YTZ14S Leoch Powerstart AGM Motorcycle Battery LTZ14-4 from Tayna web site
Price £27.99
2 years Guarantee and 230 CCA
No more T batteries for me :)

BrandLeoch
Voltage12 Volts
TechnologyAGM
Capacity (C20)11.2 Ah
CCA (EN)230 A
Length150 mm
Width87 mm
Height inc. terms110 mm
Guarantee2 Years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.