Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I need to use a boost with my car battery to start the bike.

Is it the battery thats need replacing or the alternator for not charging the battery?

thx

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
You can just about bet it's the battery but you need to test it or have it tested, a hydrometer will tell you if a cell is bad and if one is it will suck the rest of the cells juice. Something you need to check is the 3 yellow wire connector, the wires come from the stator and are the only yellow wires on the bike, the connector is famous for getting corroded and messing things up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k will do...also I tried removing the battery once before but was not able to. I removed the connectors and try to pull the battery out but not sure why it would not lift up, could it be bolted from the bottom?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hey

I need to use a boost with my car battery to start the bike.

Is it the battery thats need replacing or the alternator for not charging the battery?

thx
You can check both with an inexpensive mult-meter found at any auto store or great walmart of china. Many are designed for and have a 12V selection.

If your battery is less than 12 V it's time to switch.

You can also see if the battery charging system is working by watching the voltage while the engine is running.

There is another post on this site that goes into better detail on what voltage for what RPM and other things to look for too.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
where can I locate the R/R and stator on 2002 vt750
#1) Can you you be more specific on your bikes model? Is it a Spirit or a ACE?

#2) If you look in the general discussion board, you will find Honda service manuals available for downloading (free - for both the Spirit and the ACE) that can assist you - it even has pictures and diagrams in it to show where items are located. Look at the very top of the board under the "sticky's".

If you post a question with minimal information, your answers will will also be minimal. More information up-front will yield the best answers. "Shadow" has been used for years on many models that have been produced by Honda over many years.

·
Registered
16,272 Posts

thx

Who knows??? UNTIL some testing is performed...
Many good suggestions here, BUT IF you cannot remove the battery from the bike, I suggest you get a mechanically inclined "somebody" to assist you...
The charging system has to be working correctly fer your battery to maintain cranking amps and you CAN BURN UP PARTS by making a mistake!!!
THAT`S Expen$ive!!!
Please, fer your own well being, get some help with this...
Trying to help $ave you $ome Money,
Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts