Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike has been in the garage for two weeks, with not much improvement expected in the weather. Time to connect the trickle charger?
I have a Schumacher 1.5 amp battery maintainer. I would prefer to not remove the battery to charge, as a matter of fact the charger comes with a short cord with round terminal connectors and female plug. If I installed it on the battery I could just pull it out from under the seat and connect the charger without removing the seat. I am worried about charging with the battery still on the bike. Spilled acid mess on the bike? I've searched previous posts and didn't find an answer. What do you think? Pull the battery out?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
While I can't speak about the charger you have, I have the Battery Tender Jr. pigtails hooked up to both bike's batteries and leave the tenders plugged in anytime the bikes are not being ridden. Never had any problems with battery acid leaking out, acid leaking out would be a sign the charger/tender is over charging and boiling the acid.

Both my tenders are .750 amp.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I swear by my Battery Tender Jr's. I installed one on my 2003 HD Sportster as soon as bringing it home in '03 and the original factory battery still cranks it over every time. I put one on my '07 Shadow when I got it in the fall of '13. I've never had any spilled acid or any other problems with them. Highly recommended

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
The Schumaker tender you have will work fine. Hook it up just as you posted and no you don't have to take the battery out. I have been using the same Schumaker tender for several years with no problems.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks jpr. Something else I was wondering about. If your battery is totally dead, I've read to not jump start with cables from a car. But what about push starting a bike? I would think coasting downhill in first gear and clutch in would work fine. MOM (motorcycle owners manual) says not to. What's wrong with a push start?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've jumped bikes off of cars/trucks. Just DO NOT start the vehicle. Leave the vehicle off. Hook up the cables. Start bike.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Thanks jpr. Something else I was wondering about. If your battery is totally dead, I've read to not jump start with cables from a car. But what about push starting a bike? I would think coasting downhill in first gear and clutch in would work fine. MOM (motorcycle owners manual) says not to. What's wrong with a push start?
There is nothing wrong with bump starting a motorcycle (shaft, chain, or belt drive) however. If the battery is either close to dead or completely croaked there may not be enough power to fire the electronic ignition. This means you can push it 'til your Uncle Bob gets tired, but it's never going to fire with that battery until you put some degree of charge on it.

A battery that is completely dead, has likely suffered some degree of permanent damage already, so I don't think that you could do it much more harm by jumping it, though the jump may not put enough power into it to get it back to function quickly....

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
There is nothing wrong with bump starting a motorcycle (shaft, chain, or belt drive) however. If the battery is either close to dead or completely croaked there may not be enough power to fire the electronic ignition. This means you can push it 'til your Uncle Bob gets tired, but it's never going to fire with that battery until you put some degree of charge on it.

A battery that is completely dead, has likely suffered some degree of permanent damage already, so I don't think that you could do it much more harm by jumping it, though the jump may not put enough power into it to get it back to function quickly....
1+ A battery that dead you'll be pushing the bike all the way to Alaska and it still won't run good. You can't recharge a dead battery by riding the bike.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I agree with the previous posts.

Also, don't try to start it in 1st gear, use 2nd or 3rd. When push-starting, low gear ratios are working against you. You start the bike in 1st gear, but how often do you downshift into 1st when riding? If you try to push-start in 2nd or 3rd, there is less chance you will lock the rear wheel or slow to a stop as soon as you release the clutch. The engine will spin slower in the higher gears, but it should be enough to get it started - as long as the battery is good & the fuel is on, etc. Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow.

You should have no worries charging the battery while in the bike, but if you are really concerned, pull the seat & disconnect the negative battery cable to the bike. Charge it for a few days to see if anything looks funky. If not, you can reconnect the battery cable, try a few more days, then reinstall the seat once you're comfortable.

Minimum, I would recommend leaving the seat off the bike for your first season, just for your own peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
I have no power in my shed were I store my bike so I bring the battery in and bring it down to the cellar were I hook it to my Maintainer, works Great every year she fires the bike right up in the spring. :)

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
My pigtail for the tender Is wire tied so I can get to it. I never pull the seat to get to it. Just slide it from under the side cover and plug it in.
Yes, 2nd or 3rd is best. Big bore bikes like vtx 1800, you may need 4th or 5th, best to just get a trailer for them:/

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts