Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to come across like I'm preaching; just want you all to be careful about a particular dangerous situation while riding:

My buddy was run off the road the other day, he suffered some road-rash and a dislocated rotator-cup in his shoulder. It could have been much worse!

He was traveling eastbound on a two lane road, with a center turn-lane.
There were two cars in the center lane, up ahead, making a left turn. Those two cars were also eastbound so they weren't facing him, he was coming up to them from their rear.

As he approached the two cars in the center lane, the second car waiting to turn decided he didn't want to turn anymore (or maybe didn't want to continue to wait for the first car) so, he went around the first car right into the path of my friends motorcycle.

Jack (my buddy) said he tried to slam on the brakes but the car was to close and all he could do was lay the bike down.

Thankfully several cars stopped to help him, but the driver that cut him off just sped off.

Be careful out there!
Phil

·
Registered
748 Posts
Wow, I am ALWAYS looking out for situations like this! Just curious, what kind of gear did he have on? I wear a full face, jeans and leather but I've heard of plenty of people coming out of these crashes with much less.
Off topic, that's a great little RD350! I "need" one of those.

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I am ALWAYS looking out for situations like this! Just curious, what kind of gear did he have on? I wear a full face, jeans and leather but I've heard of plenty of people coming out of these crashes with much less.
Off topic, that's a great little RD350! I "need" one of those.
Unfortunately, it was a 90 degree day and he wasn't wearing his leather. That's why he got so much road-rash. He admits had he been wearing the full gear, he would have fared better (other than the shoulder injury.) Here in Michigan, we have a mandatory helmet law so his head was protected.

Sadly, my little RD-350 is gone. What was I thinking when I sold it?
Phil

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sadly, my little RD-350 is gone. What was I thinking when I sold it?Phil
Well, probably that it's the most dangerous thing on two wheels and that by getting rid of it you could lengthen your life by a few decades! Man I want one...:)

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, probably that it's the most dangerous thing on two wheels and that by getting rid of it you could lengthen your life by a few decades! Man I want one...:)
Well, yeah it could be dangerous....... I could lift the front wheel off the ground, even from a 30 or 40 mph roll. In fact, sometimes when I would downshift and twist the throttle to pass a car, the front tire would feel like it was on ice because of the weight shift to the rear caused by the sudden acceleration.

It was definitely a sleeper!
Phil

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
sorry to hear about your buddy. the rd's are mean little machines. my dad has a rz350 that i ride ever once in a while. those things are really mean.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I am coming to the conclusion that I hate everyone on the road with me... Glad he is OK

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Don't have to feel like your preaching... Reminders are always welcome. Glad your buddy is Ok. The butthead took off knowing he hurt someone... What a cowardly thing to do... He caused it and needed to stick around and help.
+1 on keeping a keen eye.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There was a crash here last week, and unfortunately the rider didn't make it. A young girl was waiting to pull out of a gas station, and a semi (that I'm assuming was waiting to pull in) waved her out in front of him. Instead of pulling out and turning right into the lane where the semi was, she instead tried to go straight across 2 lanes to get to a turning lane. Guy on a Suzuki sport bike was passing the truck, and never stood a chance. The girl is being charged with vehicular homicide, last I heard. Sad situation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Scary stuff. I have only been riding again for a very short time. And i have already come to the conclusion I DO NOT like riding in town or heavy traffic. I might feel different after I am riding for a little longer but I doubt it. Glad your friend is OK

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don't want to come across like I'm preaching; just want you all to be careful about a particular dangerous situation while riding:

My buddy was run off the road the other day, he suffered some road-rash and a dislocated rotator-cup in his shoulder. It could have been much worse!

He was traveling eastbound on a two lane road, with a center turn-lane.
There were two cars in the center lane, up ahead, making a left turn. Those two cars were also eastbound so they weren't facing him, he was coming up to them from their rear.

As he approached the two cars in the center lane, the second car waiting to turn decided he didn't want to turn anymore (or maybe didn't want to continue to wait for the first car) so, he went around the first car right into the path of my friends motorcycle.

Jack (my buddy) said he tried to slam on the brakes but the car was to close and all he could do was lay the bike down.

Thankfully several cars stopped to help him, but the driver that cut him off just sped off.

Be careful out there!
Phil
It's always good to hear about these things, to get them in your mind so that when a similar situation faces you, you have something to draw on. I am glad your friend came out of this with not being to badly hurt.

·
Registered
268 Posts
glad to know your friend is ok and sad to hear about the guy on a Suzuki. I try to get out early in the mornings when traffic is not as heavy. That is as much the truck drivers fault as it is the girl's. He should not of waved her on especially if she did not have a blinker on. I never do that in my cage even if they have a blinker on you just never know.

The wife and I were out Sat. I make it a point to follow the 2 sec. rule even more sometimes. Lucky I did, we were back a few sec's behind a jeep going down a hill. All of a sudden the jeep puts on his brakes slows down very quickly puts his blinker on as he is making a right. I had to hit the brakes hard and down shift. We jerked forward from the sudden decrease countered steered to my left around him. We were fine. There is no doubt if I wasnt staying well behind that guy I would of hit him, not sure I would of been able to counter steer that hard around him at 45mph having been back on a bike only 2 months. That would of been scary as hell. I'm happy to say she was shaken but wanted to go back out Sunday.

Best thing I ever learned here and on the you tube video's.. Keep your distance

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
What I truly hate is when you are trying to keep that 2 second safety space, then some IDIOT or TWO squeeze into it thus deleting YOUR safety factor! That truly irritates me! :mad: :shock:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have been riding with a regular jacket since day one and I just went out and bought a REAL riding jacket with a zip in/out liner, padded elbows, zipper vents, back protector, etc. I did it for a combination of reasons one of which is reading this forum... so the things you post here can make a difference!

Oh, and I am glad your friend is still in one piece, even if that piece is a bit scratched up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.