Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after great success in mounting tire with little effort on Harbor Freight machine, I cannot get the bead to set.

My car tire folks won't help me except to give me some of the tire paste they use.

Everything on YouTube seems to be for tubeless tires.

Am I correct that setting the beads is as critical on a tube tire as a tubeless?

Am I correct that if I'm doing it right it shouldn't take a lot of air pressure?

Only three days until we're supposed to leave for Rolling Thunder. Not panicking yet. Gonna do that tomorrow.

Thank you all in advance. Don't know what I'd do without this group.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My suggestion, as it's always worked for me, is a liberal application of baby/talcum powder to your tube, which may require removing the tube.

Step # 2 is to remove the core from the valve stem when you inflate. Apply dish soap or tire lube to the beads. You may have to "over-inflate" to seat the beads. If you have to exceed 40 psi to seat the beads you may need to dismount the tire and stretch the beads, either by applying sufficient downward force to the tread and rotating the tire occasionally, or/and pulling the tire's beads apart by hand and working around the tire.

A lot of tires, particularly tube-type tires, come practically flattened and this can make them very difficult to get seated.

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Apply lubrication and psi. Leave in sunlight to help it pop.
There are threads here in this, a lot if them state high PSI. Heard near 100psi before.
Valve stem out, lubrication and not a wimpy low volume compressor!

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Ratchet strap placed around the OD of tire and tighten. Works on tubeless tires should work on tubed.

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Never had a problem seating the bead on my tubed tires. Just add a little more pressure and bounce it on the floor as you rotate it. When it seats, back off the pressure to where you want to run it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WHOOOO HOOOOO !

2 hours of hot sun and a couple of cups of 90% DAWN and at 20# pressure they popped so gently I barely heard them over the compressor. But I FELT them go "AHHHH. Finally"

My car tire guy gave me a baseball sized ball of their tire mounting paste - a year ago when we were working on my son's 600. In a plastic grocery bag which I twisted tight and wrapped in foil. Apparently it does not store well when not in an airtight container. DAWN from now on.

Thank you all again for the help and encouragement.

Anybody riding in Rolling Thunder? PM me cell phone and we'll try to find each other among 100,000 of our closest friends. THAT sounds cool enough I'm gonna start a new post.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Glad you got it taken care of.
Getting that bead to seat can be a pain sometimes.

My front tire was easy to get done (not even 45 PSI), but my rear tire (a car tire/darkside) was over 100 PSI. Not fun to do. (and yes, no need to lecture me on that, had a whole thread on it when I did it).

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
After all the time spent trying to seat the beads, the HF tire machine won't ever pay for itself. That was a lot of work!
Less that 2 sets of tires will pay for itself.
Split cost with a buddy and one set does.
Me, I support local and let them do it. Cost $25-45 /tire. $25 if you buy from them, $45 if you roll them in with your new rubbers.

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
After all the time spent trying to seat the beads, the HF tire machine won't ever pay for itself. That was a lot of work!
Depends on location.
Around me, it is $50-65/tire to mount and balance if you bring in the tire, another $25-50 per tire if on the bike still.
None have mentioned a discounted price if I buy the tire there (they may, just did not ask).

And a few hours messing around with stuff is not an issue for me. I do not charge myself an hourly rate, it is a hobby, if I get tired of it (no pun intended), I just come back to it later. Me spending a little cash to not pay someone else more money still lets me come out ahead.

I don't feel I have a need for a tire changer, I have done 2 without one, and will do future ones as well, although I will be buying some real tire spoons, since using a regular pry bar to remove/mount them can cause damage to the rim and tire.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Depends on location.
Around me, it is $50-65/tire to mount and balance if you bring in the tire, another $25-50 per tire if on the bike still.
None have mentioned a discounted price if I buy the tire there (they may, just did not ask).

And a few hours messing around with stuff is not an issue for me. I do not charge myself an hourly rate, it is a hobby, if I get tired of it (no pun intended), I just come back to it later. Me spending a little cash to not pay someone else more money still lets me come out ahead.

I don't feel I have a need for a tire changer, I have done 2 without one, and will do future ones as well, although I will be buying some real tire spoons, since using a regular pry bar to remove/mount them can cause damage to the rim and tire.

I found a motorcylce shop in Pasadena that will mount them for $20 if you buy the tire from them. They charge $50 if you bring the new tire and whole bike and $25 if you bring wheel and new tire.

I might go this route. I am just not sure after seeing the issues people have with the tubes and seating the beads.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
I have a nice Christian operated shop that charges me $30 roll in. Even offers to put the Dyna Beads in for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used a mix of windex and dawn dish soap then sprayed it on the tire and rim where it beads. I then inflated the tire about 15PSI above the recommended limit and it finely beaded. 15psi over wont hurt the tube, just remember to let the air out back to normal before putting it on the bike and your good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
buschchris1
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing