Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got a 1984 vt500 shadow (my first bike) and am doing a little maintenance. I'm changing the oil, and trying to find a new air filter. I'm planning on using 10w-40 non-synthetic oil, as it was recommended to me at a local auto store, as it would be the least likely to cause leaks. While there I also picked up a fram oil filter. I'm going to a Honda dealer tomorrow to run this by them, as I've heard so-so things about fram. When I took the air box apart to check the air filter, I was surprised to find it wasn't there. From what I've read here and elsewhere, sticking to the stock air filter seems to be the least hassle. Does anyone know here I can pick one up online? I'm a little doubtful the dealer will have it on hand, since the bike is so old. The local auto guy recommended a K&N $70.00 filter, but that seems pretty steep.

If you guys have any advice for me going forward, that'd be great. As I said, I'm new to motorcycling, and I knew when I got this bike it was gonna take some work. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
My K&N air filter was $50+ back in 2007...
Depending on model they can get real expensive!!!
However, the HONDA was $37, so I feel I`ve saved a FEW Honda Buck$ over the years by cleaning my K&N :D

I use NAPA Pro select oil filters/// there is a cross reference in the tech stickies for the numbers of whichever brand you decide on...NAPA is $4 Honda Buck$
Opinions are fluent on these oil and filter discussions :D

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,487 Posts
I just saw a factory screen assembly on ebay for $ 28.03 incl. shipping.
You would also need a foam element for it. There were a few aftermarket parts also for less that had a paper element on them.
Check this link to ebay===
1984 Honda Shadow VT700 Air Filter Housing Cleaner | eBay

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the metal frame thing, but not the foam element. I'll check out the sticky and might return the fram filter, and get a Napa one. Also, I found the K&N air filter for $50 online, so the auto shop has a pretty big markup. I'll check in tomorrow after I go to the dealer. Hopefully they'll have the air filter. I don't really want to wait for an online order. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I think it`s Phil who makes his paper elements for his air filter from automotive filters??
CONSIDERABLY Cheaper than Stock!!!
Nope that would be me, I reuse the stock air filter frame though.

notice I screwed in the metal plate after the sealing of the paper filtering. Beat this price https://www.chromeworld.com/2006-ho...s/fuel-and-air-filters/k-n-air-filter-ha-6199

One car air filter cost me 11.00 us, tube of sealant costs around 8.00 us, so for 19.00 us I can refurbish 2 filters. I keep a clean one on hand.

Hi temp gasket sealant (comes in a tube about 8.00 us

·
Registered
330 Posts
Make sure you are getting oil for motorcycles not cars, they are different. Have you tried the dealer yet on the air filter? If you have to order on line why not let the dealer order OEM if they don't have it? Oil filter should be in stock. Yeah OEM stuff is a little more expensive but how often are you going to change it... once a year? And its right, no hoping the sealant sealed all the way around and clean it off for next change. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey guys, I just got a 1984 vt500 shadow (my first bike) and am doing a little maintenance. I'm changing the oil, and trying to find a new air filter. I'm planning on using 10w-40 non-synthetic oil, as it was recommended to me at a local auto store, as it would be the least likely to cause leaks. While there I also picked up a fram oil filter. I'm going to a Honda dealer tomorrow to run this by them, as I've heard so-so things about fram. When I took the air box apart to check the air filter, I was surprised to find it wasn't there. From what I've read here and elsewhere, sticking to the stock air filter seems to be the least hassle. Does anyone know here I can pick one up online? I'm a little doubtful the dealer will have it on hand, since the bike is so old. The local auto guy recommended a K&N $70.00 filter, but that seems pretty steep.

If you guys have any advice for me going forward, that'd be great. As I said, I'm new to motorcycling, and I knew when I got this bike it was gonna take some work. Thanks.
I've got an 85 vt700c with a K&N. if you want I can shoot you the part number off it.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
pippip. Check out the following link. Lots of useful information.

Welcome to the forum also.

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
pippip. Check out the following link. Lots of useful information.

Welcome to the forum also.
Good Morning xxxclm
Are you on your first cup of Java?
I don`t see no link :D

·
Registered
18,130 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Yes. They have already treated the roads. If it is snow it will not be much because the ground is not frozen so no accumulation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just called the dealer, and they don't have the filter in stock, but can order it. They said it should be in by Thursday. I guess I'll have to wait to ride =( But it the Honda stock filter for $11.50 so that's gonna be good. Now just to get the oil and change it out.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Can't resist - Old Dad, do you use an entire tube of RTV on each filter? :lol:

My father once used an entire tube of RTV changing valve cover gaskets and a thermostat on one of our old cars. It was spread everywhere under the hood.

RTV, "Great Stuff" expanding spray foam, and sheetrock mud... He always used the "more is better, so LOTS is great" theory of application. :lol::lol:

pip - if this bike is new-to-you, I think you're off to a great start. Changing the engine oil and the three big filters - air/fuel/oil - should be the first step new owners take. While you are doing this, get into a habit of recording your mileage and what was done. When the bike sits for months at a time during the winter, it becomes a great record-keeping system.

In fact, it's a system I wish I was better at. I'm pretty good with the bikes, but not very good with the cars.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,582 Posts
I have advantage of 7800 sq. ft. of Duraplate for wall covering in the garage. Dry erase markers is a staple for "record keeping". :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.