Honda Shadow Forums banner

Beginner maintenance questions

4K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Beamercub 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just got a 1984 vt500 shadow (my first bike) and am doing a little maintenance. I'm changing the oil, and trying to find a new air filter. I'm planning on using 10w-40 non-synthetic oil, as it was recommended to me at a local auto store, as it would be the least likely to cause leaks. While there I also picked up a fram oil filter. I'm going to a Honda dealer tomorrow to run this by them, as I've heard so-so things about fram. When I took the air box apart to check the air filter, I was surprised to find it wasn't there. From what I've read here and elsewhere, sticking to the stock air filter seems to be the least hassle. Does anyone know here I can pick one up online? I'm a little doubtful the dealer will have it on hand, since the bike is so old. The local auto guy recommended a K&N $70.00 filter, but that seems pretty steep.

If you guys have any advice for me going forward, that'd be great. As I said, I'm new to motorcycling, and I knew when I got this bike it was gonna take some work. Thanks.

#2 ·
My K&N air filter was $50+ back in 2007...
Depending on model they can get real expensive!!!
However, the HONDA was $37, so I feel I`ve saved a FEW Honda Buck$ over the years by cleaning my K&N :D

I use NAPA Pro select oil filters/// there is a cross reference in the tech stickies for the numbers of whichever brand you decide on...NAPA is $4 Honda Buck$
Opinions are fluent on these oil and filter discussions :D

#3 ·
I just saw a factory screen assembly on ebay for $ 28.03 incl. shipping.
You would also need a foam element for it. There were a few aftermarket parts also for less that had a paper element on them.
Check this link to ebay===
1984 Honda Shadow VT700 Air Filter Housing Cleaner | eBay

#6 · (Edited)
I think it`s Phil who makes his paper elements for his air filter from automotive filters??
CONSIDERABLY Cheaper than Stock!!!
Nope that would be me, I reuse the stock air filter frame though.

notice I screwed in the metal plate after the sealing of the paper filtering. Beat this price https://www.chromeworld.com/2006-ho...s/fuel-and-air-filters/k-n-air-filter-ha-6199

One car air filter cost me 11.00 us, tube of sealant costs around 8.00 us, so for 19.00 us I can refurbish 2 filters. I keep a clean one on hand.

Hi temp gasket sealant (comes in a tube about 8.00 us

#5 ·
I have the metal frame thing, but not the foam element. I'll check out the sticky and might return the fram filter, and get a Napa one. Also, I found the K&N air filter for $50 online, so the auto shop has a pretty big markup. I'll check in tomorrow after I go to the dealer. Hopefully they'll have the air filter. I don't really want to wait for an online order. Thanks for the advice.

#8 ·
Make sure you are getting oil for motorcycles not cars, they are different. Have you tried the dealer yet on the air filter? If you have to order on line why not let the dealer order OEM if they don't have it? Oil filter should be in stock. Yeah OEM stuff is a little more expensive but how often are you going to change it... once a year? And its right, no hoping the sealant sealed all the way around and clean it off for next change. Just my 2 cents. :)

#9 ·
Hey guys, I just got a 1984 vt500 shadow (my first bike) and am doing a little maintenance. I'm changing the oil, and trying to find a new air filter. I'm planning on using 10w-40 non-synthetic oil, as it was recommended to me at a local auto store, as it would be the least likely to cause leaks. While there I also picked up a fram oil filter. I'm going to a Honda dealer tomorrow to run this by them, as I've heard so-so things about fram. When I took the air box apart to check the air filter, I was surprised to find it wasn't there. From what I've read here and elsewhere, sticking to the stock air filter seems to be the least hassle. Does anyone know here I can pick one up online? I'm a little doubtful the dealer will have it on hand, since the bike is so old. The local auto guy recommended a K&N $70.00 filter, but that seems pretty steep.

If you guys have any advice for me going forward, that'd be great. As I said, I'm new to motorcycling, and I knew when I got this bike it was gonna take some work. Thanks.
I've got an 85 vt700c with a K&N. if you want I can shoot you the part number off it.

#11 ·
pippip. Check out the following link. Lots of useful information.

Welcome to the forum also.
Good Morning xxxclm
Are you on your first cup of Java?
I don`t see no link :D

#13 ·
#16 ·
I just called the dealer, and they don't have the filter in stock, but can order it. They said it should be in by Thursday. I guess I'll have to wait to ride =( But it the Honda stock filter for $11.50 so that's gonna be good. Now just to get the oil and change it out.

#17 ·
#19 ·
Can't resist - Old Dad, do you use an entire tube of RTV on each filter? :lol:

My father once used an entire tube of RTV changing valve cover gaskets and a thermostat on one of our old cars. It was spread everywhere under the hood.

RTV, "Great Stuff" expanding spray foam, and sheetrock mud... He always used the "more is better, so LOTS is great" theory of application. :lol::lol:

pip - if this bike is new-to-you, I think you're off to a great start. Changing the engine oil and the three big filters - air/fuel/oil - should be the first step new owners take. While you are doing this, get into a habit of recording your mileage and what was done. When the bike sits for months at a time during the winter, it becomes a great record-keeping system.

In fact, it's a system I wish I was better at. I'm pretty good with the bikes, but not very good with the cars.

#21 ·
So, I just did the oil change, as well as top off the break fluid, which was low. Anyways, I overfilled the oil a little bit. I put in 2.5 liters, per the owners manual, and the oil was slightly below the minimum fill line on the dip stick. So I dumped the rest of the 3rd bottle (3 liters total) and checked again. This time it was over the max fill line... About 6 or 7 mm past. I let the bike idle for awhile to run it through the system but it was still high. There did seem to be a lot of air bubbles in the oil, so will it continue to settle? Or should I take some out? And if I should, whats the best way to do that?

#28 ·
TAKE SOME OUT. Too much oil is worse than too little....those bubbles you see? They displace the oil that should be coating any given surface and you don't get the proper lubrication you need.

#22 ·
Make sure the bike is on level ground and it is sitting straight up not on the kick stand first. Remove the dip stick wipe it clean and check the level with out screwing the dip stick in.

You can unscrew the oil filter a little to remove some oil if necessary.

#23 · (Edited)
Make sure you check the level with the bike straight up not on it's side stand.
The manual says to just dip the stick in lightly not screw it in to get the reading.
If you do it that way and it is still 6 mm high it might be best to take some out so the oil doesn't foam up from overfill.
If you an GENTLY pull the drain plug out til it just leaks, and tip it a little, that should get some oil out without loosing it all.

This is funny -as soon as I posted this XXXX had said about the same thing 2 minutes before. LOL

#24 ·
Ok thanks. I had followed the owners manual for checking the oil (center stand, not screwing in dipstick). I'll check it again tomorrow. The ground was pretty close but wasn't 100% level, so I'll move her. I dunno if that will change the measurement that much. I'll most likely have to take a little out.

#25 ·
Also, there was a lot of white exhaust was coming out of the right pipe only. As it got warmer, a little started coming out but not nearly as much as the right. Is this normal? And there seemed to be a lot of exhaust coming out. It doesn't smell like unburnt fuel or anything, but I did put carb cleaner in this tank. Is that what it is?

#26 ·
WARM Oil level should remain between the lines when FULL...
The top line is NOT the FULL Line...
IF oil is up to that top line, then YES, remove some...

I clicked here this morning to add something to suggestions, do y`all know what I had in mind??;)

:D:D TCLOCS - That was my suggestion I had in mind...
I perform this inspection regularly, once a month and before a lengthy journey...
I suggest you get familiar with your Bike...
Know Your Bike,
Dennis

#29 ·
Old Dad, that's a cool idea you have. I just got my 2009 Honda Shadow and finished doing the oil change. Air filter is next and from your link I can see that it could get pretty expensive. I'm going to try your idea. Any particular car air filter to use? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.