Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for a few months now and have had several people simply pull out in front of or just come on over to my lane. I know this comes with the territory but I also know that there are lots of ways to make oneself more visible. What are some ways that we can be more visible when we're riding?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Know what you mean, first week of riding I had people that were cutting across roadways to turn left that would look at me and still pull out. Then they would stop in the lane as if they could not beleive my audacity to be riding in the right of way. Watch out for the idiots man, they're everywhere.

Get a triple lightbar, ride with high beams, lane management (somewhat weave in the lane), wear brighter clothing, use your horn, get louder pipes.

And check out this thread:
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-discussion/70244-riding-tips-new-experienced-riders.html

Stay safe!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Uhh, a 10 foot wide billboard with siren and flashing lights that says "Hey, a##hole, here I come?" Hhehehehe...sorry, a small flight of whimsy. How about the strobe on the headlight? Not sure if that is still legal or not.

·
Registered
17,132 Posts
I just plain ride like I`m invisible...
Even though drivers SEE you they aren`t aware of what they`re looking at...
Ask any Train engineer...
Too many distractions in this world today, folks just don`t JUST DRIVE they do other things...
Do you turn on a turn signal BEFORE you apply brakes??? So many don`t...
Do you signal a lane change??? Again, so many don`t...
We gotta watch out, that`s all there is to it...
Either in my Truck, Bus, Car or on my motorcycle I drive defensively...
On the interstate Sunday, in the wifes` van, I watched the lady LOOK at my vehicle and still attempt to come over into my lane...
There are a LOT More cars on the road than when I took a break from riding twenty years ago... AND They`ve gotten WORSE!!!
I pray I make it back home from Sturgis,
Dennis

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Good question. Im investing in a good headlight modulator for my bike, and some driving lights down at the bottom of the forks to make the profile even larger. On the rear I saw an led taillight on a kids sport bike that flickered at a high frequency. You have to have LEDs for that to work, as incandescent bulbs don't have a fast enough response times. The device I saw was AWESOME as it flickered in your peripheral vision but when you looked straight at it it looked normal. Also did the brake flash then solid. I am bound and determined to get whatever that was.

Finally, im trading my black leather jacket and black FF for a high vis jacket and a white helmet. Im thinking chartreuse and the white helmet. Looks reminiscent of a motorcycle cop, that tends to get people's attention.

Ill be riding 4 hours round trip 3 times a week if everything works out down 2 lane winding country roads and for all I love about VA so far it seems people here are the worst drivers (in some ways) I've ever seen.

Edit: I don't have a shadow anymore, and am probably picking up an ST today, butball those should still apply.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not sure if its your cup o tea or not or even legal but i put super bright leds under my tank and frame so i light up like a christmas tree people see me coming and going and ive also gotten a few wow thats nice comments.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi Vis jackets and vests help as well as extra lights on the bike. You also just have to learn to ride like you are invisible and assume every cage you see is going to pull in front of you or come into your lane. Always be looking for an out and expect the unexpected.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Gave up on being seen long ago. Seems that the people who crash into things NEVER see the object they run into. Be that object a Bike or a building. Now I concentrate on my SEEING those who are not seeing me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
^ Very true. As others have joked, you could go to ridiculous extremes and there will ALWAYS be cagers that will not see you because they ARE NOT looking (and most are idiots). The key to staying safe is to keep your head on a swivel and anticipate and plan for EVERY person you come in contact with not seeing you. You need to take the responsibility for protecting yourself, as others will not, no matter what you do. So plan ahead. ;-)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
5" diameter off road lights mounted on highway bars
Running lights wig-wag circuit activates on high beam (they assume it is a cop and freeze)
Freeway Blaster horns
Flashing auxilary brake lights

I look like a super nova going down the road and been told I'm visible from more than 1/2 mile away.

·
Registered
166 Posts
5" diameter off road lights mounted on highway bars
Running lights wig-wag circuit activates on high beam (they assume it is a cop and freeze)
Freeway Blaster horns
Flashing auxilary brake lights

I look like a super nova going down the road and been told I'm visible from more than 1/2 mile away.

I approve of this thread.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Every new rider should be warned that you put on a invisibility cloak when you get on a bike. I was leaving a store a couple of days ago that is next to a fire station that is very busy. A firetruck comesout of the station and proceeds to the traffic light and gets stuck behind a car waiting to turn left with siren blasting and lights flashing. They hit there airhorn a couple of times and the car still doesn't move. Firetruck moves forward and bumps the car. Driver looks up from their cellphone and then moves. It always amazes me when someone can't hear a siren and an airhorn going off right behind them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Gave up on being seen long ago. Seems that the people who crash into things NEVER see the object they run into. Be that object a Bike or a building. Now I concentrate on my SEEING those who are not seeing me.
Research inattentional blindness. Try this

There is only so much you can do. Bright jacket and helmet. More lighting. More important to know that you can be literally invisible to drivers because their brains have filtered you out as not a threat and thus irrelevant.

Forewarned is forearmed.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
No doubt you should assume everyone is out to kill you, but that wasn't the question posed now was it?

Every little precaution you take mitigates one more risk. Even if it's a little bit when your life is on the line that's a lot.

True, some people will still manage to rear end an oak that hasn't moved in over 100 years and still be surprised about it, but if a modulator is going to catch the eye of one driver headed home after a 12 hour shift then it paid for itself.

I think there are a few hundred threads on this forum about defensive riding, most of it great info or thought provoking. The fact that you're thinking about your ride and not just casting lots with the wind is the most important part, IMO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts