Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this. Seems a little pricey to me but I sure do like the idea of a belt drive. Last 2 bikes I owned were belt and I loved it, no maintenance The specs say it is a taller ratio too and I don't care for that. I'm satisfied with the stock ratio just the way it is. Plenty enough power and over 60 miles per gallon.

Just bought this bike and it is one of the smoothest riding bikes I've owned. I see them referred to a lot as "beginner or starter" bikes a lot but it carries my 270 puunds faster than I want to go.

ScootWorks Scootworks Shadow VLX 600 Belt Drive from SCOOTWORKS INC.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
You could get the same result, except the maintenance factor, just by changing the sprockets. At a fraction of the cost. Yeah a chain requires more maintenance, 5-10 minutes a month, big deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could get the same result, except the maintenance factor, just by changing the sprockets. At a fraction of the cost. Yeah a chain requires more maintenance, 5-10 minutes a month, big deal.
I think you misunderstood. I like the stock ratio just fine, it's the belt drive I'd like to have. No, it's not that much trouble servicing the chain but I was spoiled by not having to fool with it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Prob'ly before you are able to use up the cost of a conversion (ie: break even), you will be champing at the bit for another bike (ACE, Sabre, etc). Unless you intend to keep the VLX forever, and ever ad infinitum amen...may not be such a great notion to change.

Jez my $0.02

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I think you misunderstood. I like the stock ratio just fine, it's the belt drive I'd like to have. No, it's not that much trouble servicing the chain but I was spoiled by not having to fool with it.
That exactly my point. If $600 is worth not having to spend 5-10 minutes a month on maintenace... Go for It.
I have a shaft drive, I KNOW, what you seek.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prob'ly before you are able to use up the cost of a conversion (ie: break even), you will be champing at the bit for another bike (ACE, Sabre, etc). Unless you intend to keep the VLX forever, and ever ad infinitum amen...may not be such a great notion to change.

Jez my $0.02
Funny you should say that Dave cause if I keep this bike as long as I've had the last one (still got it) I'll be 86 years old by then. I'm 68 now. I doubt I'll be needing another bike... if I last that long. Maybe a motorized wheelchair:D

Still would like to know if anyone has seen or tried that conversion. I'm just curious, I doubt I'd spend that kind of money anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I went from a VLX to the ACE at 62. My best riding buddy went from his first street bike which he bought at age 74, also a VLX, and bought an 1100 Sabre two years ago at the tender age of 81.

I thought the same thing but am no longer in the "I'm am an old fart so this must be my last cycle." school of thought.

Jez sayin'

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear what you're saying. I'd better not say never because I'm an impulse buyer. I saw that bike on Craig's list Saturday, bought it on Sunday.

Thanks for the replys and happy riding!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Two problems with belt drive - loss of power because a belt is not as efficient as a chain and belts are much more easily damaged by a rock and if you have to change the belt you get to have all of the fun of removing the rear swingarm. Rubber bands are for toys.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
The 600 is reputed to be the best selling model of any motorcycle brand. It's my daily rider.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 600 is reputed to be the best selling model of any motorcycle brand. It's my daily rider.
I wouldn't doubt that it is and I've got to say it's the smoothest easy riding motercycle I've ever owned. The weight, throttle response, minimal vibration, comfort, and the appearance are perfect. I don't plan on changing a thing. I don't have any problem with the 4 speed transmission either. I don't drag or race so 4 gears are plenty. Cruise speed of 60 - 65 is my style and it handles that very well, uphill and down while carrying 260 pounds. I've had it up to 75 and it was still climbing. That's when I chicken out.

I guess you could say, I really like my new (used) bike.

To those who replied about the belt drive, I'm just going from my own experience on 2 other motorcycles that had belt drive and I never had the first problem with either, but I do appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
My 600 has a sweet spot at 70mph. Above that it feels all rattle and roll. That's due to gripping too much the handlebars. Understandably, there's not much at your disposal to hold on to. However, I've found that if you relax your grip the bike will do the steering for you, or in the back of your mind, without you on it. Albeit, for all that testing your nerves, you'll need another 2 miles to get it up to 80mph. Another priceless experience is riding in gusty conditions. At say, 60mph, the buffeting is a challenging experience to bikes in this weight class, even exhilarating, if you may.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts