Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to bench test a motor? Really just have a issue with the wiring for a bench test I’ve tried but cannot seem to get spark. I have the run switch wired together and I’ve tied the kick stand wires up together. I do have 12 volts at the coils am I missing anything?

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,666 Posts
Welcome back. (-:

I don't have schematics for that one, IIRC it's a 1989 VT1100 isn't it?
Just off the top of my head, I'd check the wiring to the ignition boxes and the pulse generators and exciter coil and make sure your grounds are good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir it’s a 89 vt1100. I checked the coils primary and secondary and pulse generators they checked out good but I’m not sure what the exciter coil is that the static? And is the ignition box the ignition module? And what all needs to be grounded at the coils...my frame has a fresh paint job. Sorry for all the questions lol

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,666 Posts
As I said I don't have the schematic for that one or the Service Manual come to that.
The 1100's do vary quite a bit when it comes to the electronics.

The Ignition boxes are the Ignition Control Module, often older bike have one per cylinder, the exciter coil (if it has one) is part of the stator assembly, a wire that is not yelllow and feeds back to the ICM.
I don't know if the coils have to be grounded if you look at the mounting and there is a loop terminal for the bolt then they definitely do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve tried everything I can’t make those thing spark I have voltage at the coils I’m dumb founded

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should of took pics but I installed the motor on the bike now hopingaybe it was a ground issue but that didmt work either my old harness is hacked to bits by the previous owner

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does it mean when wires at the Low side of the coils all four have 12v and when I turn the bike over they will jump between 12 and 9v on all four wires

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,050 Posts
The early systems are like the older points systems. The wires on the coil can have 12 volts on both sides with the key on, till the engine turns and the ignition unit pulse signal controls the ground and then the coil fires. So the variable voltage you see is OK. But the coils should be firing at that time.
Is the ignition unit well grounded with the green wire straight to your test battery?
Black/white or black wires are power to coils and ignition unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually Do not think the green wire is hooked to the test battery. That might be my problem I’ll have to try that when I get home. I wasn’t sure which wire on the ignition module actually went to negative or ground. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,050 Posts
Yes green is ground on these bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts