Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shifter shaft on my 1992 VT 600 is bent. Should I try to straighten it by heating it with my torch or bend it cold or is replacing it my best option. The seal is leaking terribly. Other than that I'm not really having any issues with the transmission.
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Gas Machine tool
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Gas Machine tool

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,276 Posts
Replacing it is probably better than heat, beat, measure and repeat.
I'd try to snag a used one, locally or off eBay, should be cheap they are a common bike.
I'd replace the seal too.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
replacing it is a complete split the engine cases tear-down. may not be economically feasible
Maybe an ebay motor swap?

Item 9 here:

Edit: If it's been like that a while, it may have worn into the case by now,,, Maybe get a new seal, pop the old one out and check for case damage?

Edit: does not show as available from Honda. may be used or new old stock found somewhere.

several on Ebay,,,

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,326 Posts
Pulling the seal out could give you a little more room to slide a pipe or something over the end and possibly bend it straigter. On the other hand a very thin layer of oil on the shaft, a new seal with lots of silicone to seal up the deformity might seal the leak.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Removal of the shifter shaft does not require splitting the cases!
On the 600 the shifter shaft runs right through the crankcase, like the later 750's.
It does require removing the right cover, complete clutch, oil pump transmission feed pipes and then pulling out it out and replacing it and putting it all back together.
So it is a pain but the engine does not have to come out and is probably half a day of messing around if you have the oil, filter, gasket and tools.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Dang CS, you're right. My 750 shop manual is in Florida, nothing to look at here.. never had to do that particular job. doesn't look too bad. 1100 appears to come out the same way Now, if he can get hold of a good shaft....

It shows the same part number as the early 750s . Are there other engine/trans parts that would interchange with the 750?

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
A good question, they beefed up the transmission main, counter shafts and bearings for the VT750 ACE onwards with a larger sprocket spline, but the 750 is based on the 600 so maybe some pieces will swap. Weird things like the left side shift lever on the 750 has the curve to allow the removal of a 16 tooth sprocket without removing the lever, funny thing is the 750 uses a 17t sprocket, so I'm pretty sure it came directly from the VT600. I guess it is not too surprising the shifter shaft could interchange. Don't forget the 600 was usually a 4 speed in the North American market and the 52 degree 750's are all 5 speeds. The ratchet action of the shifter on the drum cam thingy should not care. I'd bet the shaft drive 750 bikes are different only slightly in length of the shift shaft.

The clutches are similar, the 750 has more of the same plates, the 750 has a wider cover bulge to accommodate it.
Therefore the crankcase is likely the same width.

I have a theory that the VT750 chain drive engine is an easy swap in a VT600 frame as in it should bolt up. The exhaust on the rear cylinder will need work as the 600 pipes are different sizes front to rear, ignition electrics need swapping, carbs will need rejetting to suit.
The 750 looks taller, but is not really if has more valve cover trim malarkey that's all, the extra stroke is from the crank and shorter rods, the cam chains and gears are the same, deck height is more or less the same and oh yes 600 valve covers will fit 750 heads. What you'd get is more, low end torque and a 5 speed gear box and a milder engine, the stock horsepower about the same (pre-1999 VT600), but at 5500rpm on the 750 and 6500 on the 600. There is potentially more power buried in the 750 due to the extra displacement, but not stock.

There is a book to write on undocumented potential parts swaps among the 600, 650, 750 52 degree V-twins it probably would not sell and there are better ways for old guys to waste time. (-;

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Oh, come on, write it. This should apply: To paraphrase someone,,, ' I spent most of my time and money on wine, women and motorcycles, the rest I just wasted '

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Removal of the shifter shaft does not require splitting the cases!
On the 600 the shifter shaft runs right through the crankcase, like the later 750's.
It does require removing the right cover, complete clutch, oil pump transmission feed pipes and then pulling out it out and replacing it and putting it all back together.
So it is a pain but the engine does not have to come out and is probably half a day of messing around if you have the oil, filter, gasket and tools.
I haven't checked my replys on this in a while and have been meaning to look up an exploded view of the gearbox just to see possible collateral damage caused by continued use vs. possible new damage caused from straightening. This is good news to me. I really like this bike and have, since starting this tread, removed the engine, tripple tree, swing arm, everything, and painted the frame. It's a 90 or 91. I don't recall. 8th month of 90. The clearcoat on the aluminum valve covers and side covers has started to bubble and peel so i am stripping and polishing them. I just put new fork seals in today after work. And, partly because i like the look, final decision due to damage from the slide that bent the shifter shaft (also broke back fender busted tail light lens and housing) it will be a bobber/bobber chopper when reasembled. Axle mount rear fender and tail light. Going to compression test before reinstalling the engine and re-ring if needed. The bike has approx. 45k miles. 29k when i purchased it. I have kept it serviced but it hasn't had an easy life under me(my avg. cruising speed is around 90 and i enjoy the fact that i can leave most of my sportbike riding friends behind on the really twisty roads). These little bikes are tuff. I would like to have the bike in "go anywhere" condition like it has been until recently.

Oh, come on, write it. This should apply: To paraphrase someone,,, ' I spent most of my time and money on wine, women and motorcycles, the rest I just wasted '
Truer words have not been spoken. I appreciate the knowledge guys. I have a friend with a 750 project and a 750 parts bike. The 600 engines seem to be reasonably priced on eBay at leat compared to the 600 gsxr that i replaced this year and the 600 cbr that i replaced twice a few years ago. I'm going to check prices on a few used parts. Also removing the clutches is probably something i need to do after the sprocket change from 44T to 40T i did back in the summer. I'm going to put th HD Clutch Spring kit in at least if i don't change to a little grippier friction discs as well. Clean for a 30+ yr. old bike with 45k miles
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts