Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best carb Cleaner? 88 600 Shadow, Brothers Bike, He had a guy clean the carbs, it ran for a month or so. then started missing again. My Brother used regulat carb spray and compressor. No Good. Running off one cylinder intermittent missing. had not been properly stored for a couple years.
Is it best to just get a gallon and soak the carbs for a month or so, with throttle at different positions to get cleaner in different areas?
Checked fuel supply and plugs (new). I got the bike after he passed early December. I haven't been able to work on it as it is about 100 miles away.
ANY TECHNIQUE or paying attention to different points of the carbs would be most helpful.. I sincerely LOVE the Bike. I think the 88 Shadow VLX were the best looking of the series! DIDN't Honda have to make some changes forced by Harley?
Thanks tons!

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Do a search on here for "Pine Sol". A member here cleans theirs with pine sol and hot, not boiling water. A lot more friendly to deal with and a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If the carbs are causing problems, best to remove and partially dissamble to clean them - the float bowls can get really nasty. Soaking can help yet sometimes a little scrubbing is necessary = don't use a wire brush cuz it can damage the AL. Some people swear by overnight soaking in pinesol solution. If ya gotta go the disassemble route, get at least a rebuild kit so you can replace old gaskets and O-rings. If the carbs hae sat for a while with old gas/water in them, you mihgt consider replacing the jets - they are brass and when they corrode they go outta spec :(

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Make sure the fuel is clean. Check to see f there is crud in the tank that is getting into the carb. Seafoam is a good way to treat the gas and will help sometimes.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If the carbs are causing problems, best to remove and partially dissamble to clean them - the float bowls can get really nasty. Soaking can help yet sometimes a little scrubbing is necessary = don't use a wire brush cuz it can damage the AL. Some people swear by overnight soaking in pinesol solution. If ya gotta go the disassemble route, get at least a rebuild kit so you can replace old gaskets and O-rings. If the carbs hae sat for a while with old gas/water in them, you mihgt consider replacing the jets - they are brass and when they corrode they go outta spec :(
im with this guy.
spray will only take you sa far. you gotta take them apart sometimes.
clean the bowl, float, float needle, main jet, and theres also a screen right before the float needle that needs to be pulled out and cleaned.
if its been over a year since you took them apart, do yourself a favor and buy fuel bowl gaskets before you reassemble them because they are likely dry rotted by now, and will leak when you put them back together.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
Make sure the fuel is clean. Check to see f there is crud in the tank that is getting into the carb. Seafoam is a good way to treat the gas and will help sometimes.
+1. Double dose the 1st. time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a big fan of Seafoam.. anybody have the kit numbers and gasket part numbers/ where I can get them at?
Thanks for the replys..
Pine Sol, huh?? I wonder who ever thought of using that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Me I use Gunk, My old shadow 1984 had a carbs dirty, I disassemble all and put all metal parts in this solution for 24 hours. After wash with water et air. Take care, only metal parts, no plastic or rubber, it can be damaged.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I am a big fan of Seafoam.. anybody have the kit numbers and gasket part numbers/ where I can get them at?
Thanks for the replys..
Pine Sol, huh?? I wonder who ever thought of using that?
Don't forget to replace the float needle and seat during the carb cleaning and overhaul. It'll pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
586 Posts
pine sol is awesome if you are not an expert carb cleaner or if you do not have the luxury of having new gaskets and rubber bits. it will dissolve the varnish from dried fuel and not hurt the rubber. I soaked mine in a 50/50 pine-sol and water shook the bucket a few times after a few days they were working perfectly. just my experience

1 - 10 of 10 Posts