Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started riding and needed to stop, I always kicked it all the way down to 1st gear and applied brakes. After reading several posts on here, I learned that the better method is to downshift and let that slow me down. This is great because I can then upshift and have enough rpms if the light suddenly turns green again. But this morning, I was riding to work and saw a red light ahead and it was too close to go from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 then stop so I did my old technique and just applied brakes while shifting it down. When the light changed I shifted to 2 and was on my way.
My question is, in certain situations, is it ok to shift down more than one gear at a time? So in this instance, I was in 4 and thought that if I could drop straight to 2nd I'd be fine but I was too nervous to try it. Is this a standard practice and when should it be done? Also, is it fine for the bike??

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
shifting down more than one gear is fine as long as it is relevant to your speed. in other words, don't down shift to 2nd if you're still traveling 40-50 mph. But really, I think you are thinking too much. Just shift (up or down) based on the sound of the engine at your speed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't count my gears. I just use 'em as sound dictates. I never know what gear I'm in unless it's first for starting out or 5th for the highway (because I'm always looking for one more gear that isn't there).

When slowing down, I down shift. When stopping, I kick 'em down till I hit bottom (always).

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
As a chronic engine braker I down shift to a stop ALL the time. Sometimes I even forget to use the brakes. Just work your way gradually down the gears, based on MPH and RPM, in the opposite direction of accelerating.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Your ground speed should ALWAYS match what gear you're in. That way, if you need some acceleration to get out of a bind, you just dump the clutch and give it gas. No need to think, because you don't have time.

As for the bike, mechanically, as long as you're close to the right speed, it doesn't care if you change 1 gear or 4 all in the move.

--Justin

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
As a chronic engine braker I down shift to a stop ALL the time. Sometimes I even forget to use the brakes. Just work your way gradually down the gears, based on MPH and RPM, in the opposite direction of accelerating.
Same here. As the 1100 only has 4 gears 4th to 2nd is good for slowing down quickly. I went form 3rd to 1st once and forgot to blip the throttle. The back wheel locked and for a second there it was a pucker moment.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
For stops I normally just apply the clutch, use the brakes and multi-shift down to first when nearly stopped. Also only downshift and let out the clutch when the motor is at 'no-load' in the higher gear. My objective is to reduce clutch scrubbing - brakes are cheap and easy to change.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use the engine to slow me down (downshifting to a near stop in 1st). If I need to make a quick stop I pull the clutch and brake. After the bike comes to a complete stop then downshift. This helps for when the light changes I can gas and go and be in the correct gear. If you are at 40 and in 1st or 2nd and the light changes and you let the clutch out this will cause the rear tire to be turning slower than you are moving. If that happens you will most likely go down. Another thing is the rev limiter. I forget when that kicks in I think around 6200 but that will only save an engine so many times. Always try to be in the correct gear for your speed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Throttle back, clutch in, shift down, clutch out. Repeat as desired or as necessary. Brake as needed. Let your speed and senses guide you grasshopper.

It's not something I put a whole lot of thought into, it's 2nd nature to me after riding for so long. I skipped down 2 or 3 gears on numorous occasions to help come to a rapid stop while gripping on the binders. Your bike will let ya know quickly if your not in the right gear for the moment at hand.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I like using the gears along with the brake, just like I do in a standard-shift cage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.