Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually several questions,
But which years are proving to be the best for the Shadows?
and models?
I had an 1100 built in 1986, I'm NOT voting for it! Low end DOG!:roll:
BUT I loved the 1990 750.
My Brothers little 600 is a gem.. still running strong 24 years later!

·
Registered
11,523 Posts
You can't really say that al 86 1100's are dogs based on one bike. The mid 80's SHadows had the highest horsepower ratings of all the years. There more then likely was something wrong with 86 that you rode. Were the best years for any of them is not a matter of fact but of user opinions.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I love my 93 VT1100C for its higher frame and good lean angle, great on winding roads which is what travel a lot... 4 speed etc

I liked my 05 750 Aero but much prefer the 1100

I have ridden a few others and some seam to be more stable at low speed but they don't corner the same :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't really say that al 86 1100's are dogs based on one bike. The mid 80's SHadows had the highest horsepower ratings of all the years. There more then likely was something wrong with 86 that you rode. Were the best years for any of them is not a matter of fact but of user opinions.
Mine ran fine and was great on the highway, but with 2 people on it in the City it lacked the low end torque I like, My 700 Shadow was better.
I think it was just the fact it was geared for the Highway and better gas MPG

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have had an 86 1100, 94 1100 and 2001 1100.
All are good bikes.
I prefer the 94 1100 for the looks more than the others. It also seems to have good power / handling. I prefer the four speed transmission. I don't do a lot of 2 up riding but when I do,I don't have any issues with it in town or on the highway.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a 2013 Phantom and I love it. It may seem silly, but I think the 13 on it contributes to the dark nature of the bike. "Lucky 13". The color, the style ...I really think that year was a home run.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The 2004 VT750DC is, easily, the BEST one of the lineup.

/sarcasm...

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
I had (bought new) a 1983 Shadow 500c and it was a GREAT Bike. In some ways better then the Spirit Im riding now. :)

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
i'm partial to the 2011 Honda Shadow Aero of course...

it is the 1st year Fuel injection was introduced on the Shadow Aero in the USA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 2013 Phantom and I love it. It may seem silly, but I think the 13 on it contributes to the dark nature of the bike. "Lucky 13". The color, the style ...I really think that year was a home run.
WOW! I agree, that Semi-Gloss and Anodized Finish are amazing!
What a Gorgeous Motorcycle! That thing HONESTLY took my breath away!
I took a huge gasp of breath, and exclaimed something I cant repeat here! My Girlfriend across the room asked me if I was OK!!
Most were there, but just to share the story with the young guys.
In 1988 when the first VLX showed up, there was a HUGE BUZZ about this amazing new Honda! It looked so much like a Harley Davidson!
You have to realize just how poor the Harley Davidson motorcycles had sadly fallen in quality, and in workmanship, under the guidance of AMF. (American Machine and Foundry) Sounds like a junk yard and pretty much treated our national PRIDE on 2 wheels like one, with some exceptions.
They were virtually ready to go out of buisness before the Brilliant oversight, Leadership and foresight of Vaugn Beales and WILLIE G DAVIDSON!
Honda had always had a great reputation for quality, craftsmanship, and
engineering. Now after the MONSTER 6 cyl V65, (This poster saw a young Man foolishly kill himself on one)!
It was a drizzling morning, I was driving about 60 in a 55 county road, and this bike blew by me like a bullet!
I had no longer thought to myself, that's NOT a good idea, when I saw the sparks, debris, smoke and parts FLYING in the air, the Bike was cartwheeling end over end a million miles an hour. When I got to him, His helmet was GROUND flat along with his Skull and Face from the middle of his Chin to the apex of his head. He took his last few breaths in my arms...
(But back to the post sorry), there was a streamlined, Water cooled, Harley Doppelganger. Low, smooth and that Blue was the most beautiful color I had ever seen. Even tho there were earlier Shadows, this one, the new VLX was something special! Still is..

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i'm partial to the 2011 Honda Shadow Aero of course...

it is the 1st year Fuel injection was introduced on the Shadow Aero in the USA.
Hard to argue with that!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i love my 05 750 aero. i just wish it had 1 more gear.
I always thought the same about my '08 aero 750, a bit buzzy at 75mph and up but I'm not too sure that they have enough bottom end to stay happy in a 6th gear... but given thats all perspective and can be fixed via drive ratios.

6th gear in my new bike is awesome for cruising if I'm doing 70mph or faster, still has the grunt on the hills and decent passing power and thats with an engine over twice the size of the 750. I still down shift into 5th going up hills on the interstate if I'm passing cars. And usually dont get out of 5th on any two lane road even if the speed limit is 55. The shadow was always very happy in 3rd and 4th while weaseling through the twists IMO.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
The way I have my 2013 Honda VT750 configured, its like riding my couch, and I have a very bad back. I love the V-twin. Came from a 93 1100 Virago.

·
Read Only
107 Posts
Ha by the time I read all the replies, I thought the question was "what kind of bike do you ride and do you love it?".

I figure my 2012 Spirit isn't winning any horsepower awards but it's hard to argue with PGM-FI, liquid cooling and shaft drive in terms of reliability and simplicity of operation/maintenance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 54 Posts