Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i know most of you do mostof your driving on the highway. But for me almost all I drive is in city and i was wondering if staying in 4th gear will help out?

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
A bike by nature gets great gas mileage... don't over think it. Make the engine happy and if your in third engine braking saves the pads... don't don't forget to tap the brake lever to tell the cages behind you you are slowing.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
If I'm running in towns or slow roads and between 35/45 I run 4th, if I can cruise at 50 and up then I run in 5th........depends on what the situation, just don't lug the engine as others mentioned and don't be to concerned about the mpg.........having the power when you need it is more important in estimation................

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a Shadow ACE Tourer 1100 and I can be in 5th by 40 mph . Well I could until I put my new C/T(175/75-16) on the bike. ;-)

ROD
My shadow Ace 1100 prefers to be in 2nd at 35mph. I'll shift to 3rd once I hit around 40mph. 4th gear sounds like crap if riding under 40. I have only used 5th gear on the highway. No need for it whatsoever in city driving.

I've been in third gear while riding around 35mph. If I get a yellow light and I want to gun it to beat the red, I won't get as much of a response as I would get if I was in 2nd gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.